Low car high protein diet

2»

Replies

• mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    You need one gram/pound weight of your body at max.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Personally, I've found that a low carb diet is the only way I can lose weight. However, I have type 1 diabetes (and type 2 diabetes, though that has diminished significantly as I've lost weight). Low carbs keep my blood glucose (BG) more stable. The differences to this are that I try to eat more protein (I want to get 150g / day, but that is difficult with my low calorie level) and I wouldn't be eating apples because they are not low carb.

Even if you don't have diabetes, it is unlikely that this diet will hurt you... so it is worth a try if you are interested. I would just suggest to be sure you take a multivitamin to get all of your micronutrients. And as far as "I thought vegetables were good for you" - there are salads on the list. The "vegetables" it excludes are starchy (high carb) items like beans, potatoes, and grains. You will get lots of micronutrients by eating spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and other vegetables that would normally be found in a salad with few or no net carbs.
    It is YOUR experience, so good...But a 900-1100 cals a day eating plan for a young active girls WILL hurt her....
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Respheal wrote: »
    Keep in mind that really high protein intake can spike your blood sugar due to excess protein being converted into glucose. In fact, 120g seems pretty ridiculously high and, unless you're very, very active, I'd consider 120g a maximum instead of a minimum. Check with your doc on this, of course, but you may want to pad out your calories with more fat than protein.

I would really like to see the data to support this.

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Who exactly gave you this? A doctor or someone else? I eat low carb myself so I am not the anti-LC brigade but while I eat a ton of cruciferous veg I don't personally know of many medically necessary low carb diets that will advise you to be eating fruits like apples and drinking fruit drinks :/ (berries in small quantities sure, but apples?) . I also don't know of any that would recommend 900 calories a day unless you're exceptionally short and I still wouldn't do it without a doctors' say so. If you haven't discussed this with an actual physician/dietician I would consider it :) . Stay healthy OP!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited May 2016
    cathipa wrote: »
    Keep in mind that really high protein intake can spike your blood sugar due to excess protein being converted into glucose. In fact, 120g seems pretty ridiculously high and, unless you're very, very active, I'd consider 120g a maximum instead of a minimum. Check with your doc on this, of course, but you may want to pad out your calories with more fat than protein.

I don't have any studies right in front of me, but I often see a delayed protein BG spike if I consume a meal that is low-carb high-protein (I am a type 1 diabetic, so my pancreas is unable to produce any insulin whatsoever). If I am remembering biochem correctly, certain amino acids, can "convert" to pyruvate/acetyl COA/citrate/(other organic molecules in the citric acid cycle) if the body has an increased need for glucose versus amino acids. Once it's in pyruvate, it can then go through the TCA cycle to produce ATP, or it can go through gluconeogenesis to form glucose. That glucose can then increase the concentration of glucose in the blood, thus causing some of the delayed spiking diabetics may see with high-protein low-carb foods. To apply it to phase-1 phase-2 insulin release, phase-1 insulin release covers typically the rapid-acting carbs one consumes, while phase-2 insulin release often covers the slower-acting carbs and protein that goes through gluconeogenesis.

Let's say I have some chicken breast for dinner. I consume 0.5g of carbs and 50g of protein. I take zero insulin, because the meal essentially has zero carbs (my pump would be unable to deliver insulin for anything smaller than 1g of carbs). I might see the following BG pattern:
    0000 (beginning of meal) - 100mg/dL
    0130 - 106 mg/dL (within normal standard deviation for BG meters. Anything within 20% is considered "acceptable")
    0430 - 140mg/dL
    So, I experience no spiking at my typical spike time (1-1.5 hours after eating), but at the 4.5-hour mark, that is when I see a rise in BG due to gluconeogenesis occurring. If I wanted to prevent a spike like this from occurring, I would need to take some insulin to cover the protein and program my pump to deliver it as a slow infusion over 2-3 hours (to mimic phase 2 insulin release).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    abatonfan wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »

I don't have any studies right in front of me, but I often see a delayed protein BG spike if I consume a meal that is low-carb high-protein (I am a type 1 diabetic, so my pancreas is unable to produce any insulin whatsoever). If I am remembering biochem correctly, certain amino acids, can "convert" to pyruvate/acetyl COA/citrate/(other organic molecules in the citric acid cycle) if the body has an increased need for glucose versus amino acids. Once it's in pyruvate, it can then go through the TCA cycle to produce ATP, or it can go through gluconeogenesis to form glucose. That glucose can then increase the concentration of glucose in the blood, thus causing some of the delayed spiking diabetics may see with high-protein low-carb foods.

Let's say I have some chicken breast for dinner. I consume 0.5g of carbs and 50g of protein. I take zero insulin, because the meal essentially has zero carbs (my pump would be unable to deliver insulin for anything smaller than 1g of carbs). I might see the following BG pattern:
    0000 (beginning of meal) - 100mg/dL
    0130 - 106 mg/dL (within normal standard deviation for BG meters. Anything within 20% is considered "acceptable")
    0430 - 140mg/dL
    So, I experience no spiking at my typical spike time (1-1.5 hours after eating), but at the 4.5-hour mark, that is when I see a rise in BG due to gluconeogenesis occurring.

As a fellow type 1, I experience similar results (though it usually happens in the 1.5-2.5 hr. time post-meal). When I went through my initial training after type 1 diagnosis (I've had more training on type 1 diabetes than most physicians receive), I learned about gluconeogenesis. Your description is correct - most (not all) amino acids can convert into BG. This diet is obviously designed to load up enough amino acids to repair / build muscle, but some of those amino acids can and will convert to BG.