Random: Peanut butter before bed to help with weight loss??

Options

Replies

• seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sounds like BS to me.
    Calorie deficit is what leads to weight loss, doesn't matter what or when you eat.

^ this
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I read something yesterday that said that if you eat a spoonful of peanut butter before bed, it helps aid in weight loss.
    I have tried to find a source to agree or debunk this, but haven't been able to.
    Have anyone heard of this? Tried this?

Instead of looking to debunk this, look for evidence--not blogs, but real science--to support it. It sounds silly enough that I don't think anyone would spend time debunking it.
  • 737jac737
    737jac737 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No. Peanut butter is terrible. Have a casein protein shake.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    my dr told me to eat a small amount of p-butter + milk right before bed to help with my blood sugar issues. he said that combo (you can even add a graham cracker if you like) is good to keep your blood sugar steady all night. i haven't done it, but wow it sure sounds good. not too sure if it will help with weight loss; i guess as long as you enter it as part of your calorie count for the day.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    For me, peanut butter before bedtime would be a sure guarantee of heartburn in an old geezer like me. But if you like it and it doesn't keep you awake, go for it.

I did find this site which lists PB as one of the good snacks before going to bed, along with a bowl of cereal or cheese & crackers:

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/food-and-sleep
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    737jac737 wrote: »

That's crazy talk :o
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Unless you're very careful that could lead to weight gain rather than loss. I accidentally ate 450 calories of peanut butter as a snack a few days ago...peanut butter is not my friend.

2 tablespoons (32 grams) makes a decent spoonful for only 190 calories.
    "Accidental" overconsumption is much less likely if you weight the food before you eat it.

Peanut butter was the food that made me start weighing everything religiously! I was like "oh 2 tablespoons for 190 calories" and I would use a spoon and eyeball it (usually a heaping tablespoon - not the measuring spoon but an eating tablespoon. Maybe I was in denial a little). Well one day I was going to the library and needed a snack and all I had was peanut butter so I decided to put some in a Tupperware dish. I decided to weigh it since it was going in a dish. Turns out my heaping spoonful did not equal 190 calories but was closer to 700. Oops! The truth hurts. It was really depressing to see the amount of peanut butter I should have been eating in comparison to what I thought was 190 calories!

Long story short, now I too weigh my peanut butter or if I'm in a hurry, I measure it with a measuring spoon! I like about 100 calories worth (about a tablespoon) as a snack before my workout :) definitely would not eat before bed because then I would be thirsty.
  • Countryroads1
    Countryroads1 Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you really love peanut butter a lot.... make a spoonful a reward for exercising, walking, raking leaves, mowing grass, whatever.... not a whole sandwich, but just savor a small spoonful,,, treat it like ice cream maybe. Hey, if it motivates you to burn more calories earlier in the day, it might work for you. Check the labels on whipped, reduced calorie, etc. first.) (My treat is a spoonful of marshmallow cream!). Keep at it!
  • dmiivanov
    dmiivanov Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with the mantra everyone keeps repeating on here : "it's calories in vs calories out".
    But I think it's also worth a while to consider things that can potentially increase your "calories out " . Have you wondered why it is much easier to keep the fat off when you're younger? Yep, it's the hormones. And to have well balanced hormones, it is necessary to supply your body with adequate amounts of good fats, which peanut butter is a good source of.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    dmiivanov wrote: »
    I agree with the mantra everyone keeps repeating on here : "it's calories in vs calories out".
    But I think it's also worth a while to consider things that can potentially increase your "calories out " . Have you wondered why it is much easier to keep the fat off when you're younger? Yep, it's the hormones. And to have well balanced hormones, it is necessary to supply your body with adequate amounts of good fats, which peanut butter is a good source of.

Yeah but the recommendation to have a diet that balanced in macro and micro nutrients isn't really the same as saying that pb before bed will somehow magically cause you to lose weight. How do you know what the OP's diet looks like already. She may already be eating plenty of good fats. Statements like pb before bed will help with weight loss aren't helpful. Actually statements that say eating any particular food will cause weight loss aren't helpful at all - it's not possible for eating more of any food to cause weight loss.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    That's a load of *kitten*. If anything it might stop late night hunger cravings but peanut butter and weight loss have nothing to do with each other. I don't even eat peanut butter and I've lost weight. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I read something yesterday that said that if you eat a spoonful of peanut butter before bed, it helps aid in weight loss.
    I have tried to find a source to agree or debunk this, but haven't been able to.
    Have anyone heard of this? Tried this?

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

No its not. Some people are allergic to casien.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

No its not. Some people are allergic to casien.

Some people are also allergic to peanut butter! Peanut butter may be terrible depending on what your goals are. Let's just start by saying if your peanut butter has added sugar, it's terrible. If it doesn't, you're on the right track. However, it's important to note that peanuts are a legume and have similar properties of beans, meaning they're inflammatory. That really has nothing to do with fat loss, but more to do with water retention, swelling, and soreness. If you're eating to perform it's best to avoid any peanut products as the result will be more soreness and swelling after intense workouts. In all honesty, you're better off eating an alternative nut butter such as almond or cashew butter.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I guess it would work

If eating 100cal of peanut butter meant you didn't eat 500 calories of other foods.