Random: Peanut butter before bed to help with weight loss??

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    737jac737 wrote: »
    No. Peanut butter is terrible. Have a casein protein shake.

No its not. Some people are allergic to casien.

Some people are also allergic to peanut butter! Peanut butter may be terrible depending on what your goals are. Let's just start by saying if your peanut butter has added sugar, it's terrible. If it doesn't, you're on the right track. However, it's important to note that peanuts are a legume and have similar properties of beans, meaning they're inflammatory. That really has nothing to do with fat loss, but more to do with water retention, swelling, and soreness. If you're eating to perform it's best to avoid any peanut products as the result will be more soreness and swelling after intense workouts. In all honesty, you're better off eating an alternative nut butter such as almond or cashew butter.

Huh? Why shouldn't my peanut butter have added sugar? (I don't buy it like that but I don't see the issue if it's preferred and weighed etc). And I weigh daily, I know what foods cause water retention, peanut butter isn't one, nor am I more sore if I have a slice of toast with peanut butter and banana as a snack after a workout or if I just have something else.

As an aside, I only liked peanut butter in my best friends wondrous cookies until I started working out. It's like lifting dumbbells suddenly changed my palate and I was all, woah bro', hand me the PB stat! Do you even lift?
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Out of Woman's Day magazine?

I dont even know where I saw it, I think possibly on Facebook or something. It seems too good to be true so it likely is!

Must be true!
  • dmiivanov
    dmiivanov Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    dmiivanov wrote: »
    I agree with the mantra everyone keeps repeating on here : "it's calories in vs calories out".
    But I think it's also worth a while to consider things that can potentially increase your "calories out " . Have you wondered why it is much easier to keep the fat off when you're younger? Yep, it's the hormones. And to have well balanced hormones, it is necessary to supply your body with adequate amounts of good fats, which peanut butter is a good source of.

Yeah but the recommendation to have a diet that balanced in macro and micro nutrients isn't really the same as saying that pb before bed will somehow magically cause you to lose weight. How do you know what the OP's diet looks like already. She may already be eating plenty of good fats. Statements like pb before bed will help with weight loss aren't helpful. Actually statements that say eating any particular food will cause weight loss aren't helpful at all - it's not possible for eating more of any food to cause weight loss.

OK, I can't argue, because there's no scientific evidence to any of that. ;) but it works for me, so I'm gonna do that!
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Some people are also allergic to peanut butter! Peanut butter may be terrible depending on what your goals are. Let's just start by saying if your peanut butter has added sugar, it's terrible. If it doesn't, you're on the right track. However, it's important to note that peanuts are a legume and have similar properties of beans, meaning they're inflammatory. That really has nothing to do with fat loss, but more to do with water retention, swelling, and soreness. If you're eating to perform it's best to avoid any peanut products as the result will be more soreness and swelling after intense workouts. In all honesty, you're better off eating an alternative nut butter such as almond or cashew butter.

Let's not start by saying added sugar in peanut butter is terrible. Are you trying to start another sugar debate...seriously??
    Why will peanut products cause you to be more sore and swell more after workouts? IME the only thing that does that is adding weights. Ate peanut butter almost every day while I was bulking. No more sore or swollen than I should have been.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    OP, when you find a reliable source for that FB statement about PB before bed (Dr Oz doesn't count, as he is a quack), then come back here with that source. otherwise, it's BS
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Basically nothing you just said is based in reality.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I eat a small cup of m&ms every night before bed and I've lost 87 lbs. Evidence suggests that m&ms are a diet food.

In for science.

In for m&ms. :p

Oooooo PEANUT BUTTER m&ms. Right before bed. (To stay on topic. :))
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I've been curious about the "beans are inflammatory" statement, which I associate with Paleo. Got citations for this?
  • dmiivanov
    dmiivanov Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's often said in literature that the good fat burning hormones (HGH, testosterone.. ) are produced when you sleep. I think it's a good thing to have a little bit of good fats ( peanut butter ) readily available at that time.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp depending on how you load it could have anywhere between 80-150 calories. Adding calories is not the way to lose weight unless its accounted for in your goal.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Don't use Facebook as your guide to weightloss.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Unless you're very careful that could lead to weight gain rather than loss. I accidentally ate 450 calories of peanut butter as a snack a few days ago...peanut butter is not my friend.

2 tablespoons (32 grams) makes a decent spoonful for only 190 calories.
    "Accidental" overconsumption is much less likely if you weight the food before you eat it.

Oh I did weigh it. But didn't log it until after I'd eaten it so didn't realise quite how many calories I was consuming. Peanut butter spread over toast is one of life's greatest pleasures but to get a decent coverage requires a lot more than 16g per slice, so I don't eat it often but when I do...things escalate pretty quickly.
    Also I recently learnt that tablespoons in the UK are about 25% larger than in the US so our national peanut butter consumption must also be 25% higher, FACT.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter...but for the last 3 months I have developed an allergy and break out in hives when I have any....boohoo! totally sucks :/
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter...but for the last 3 months I have developed an allergy and break out in hives when I have any....boohoo! totally sucks :/

Have you tried other but butters? Almond butter tastes pretty similar.
  • michaeltermini
    michaeltermini Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I'd go a step further and have casein mixed with Whey protein shake. 1/3 whey, 2/3 casein. For me I'll receive fast absorption of whey to quickly feed muscles and Casein for the slow absorption throughout the night while I sleep. I probably wouldn't do both of I didn't workout
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Basically nothing you just said is based in reality.

Except the first two sentences.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it's not a magic cure but I would say yes it (your keyword) "aids" in weight loss because it does keep you fuller longer. I have PB&J on fiber bread almost every day for lunch lol. I would always save calorie room for peanut butter as a late night snack and eat it with a couple crackers or an apple. Peanut butter has protein and fat to carry over my tummy satisfaction until the next day.

You all can make fun, but I'm sticking to my answer :wink: And I have tried this...I have peanut butter almost every night which is many many days since I started this healthy journey in February of 2015.

1. Calorie Deficit
    2. Foods that will aid in keeping you satisfied longer (Maybe a foot note to #1) lol
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I feel like the only person in the world who loathes peanuts, peanut butter... :neutral:
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I feel like the only person in the world who loathes peanuts, peanut butter... :neutral:

You're not. Which makes me question my sanity for having read a thread only about the merits of peanut butter... :confused: