Light-headed and winded after deadlifts - am I doing it wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    What program are you running and what does it call for on sets x reps for deads? That is a lot of max reps and maybe there is a variation where you can move to 135 but lower the reps or sets.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    What program are you running and what does it call for on sets x reps for deads? That is a lot of max reps and maybe there is a variation where you can move to 135 but lower the reps or sets.

I'm doing a 3-day total body training split that I found on T-nation. The only description for sets/reps for the deadlifts was 4x6, but I’m thinking maybe some of those should be warm-up sets based on what other people do. I’ve been treating them all as max sets.
    I think I will try doing 3 lighter warm-up sets and then a max set at a slightly higher weight and see if that helps. I'll also try moving them to the end of my workout.
    Thanks everyone!
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be holding your breath at all during a lift. Exhale on the exertion portion, inhale deeply on the reset.

I flew the vomit comet (zero gravity). Before the flight the flight surgeon said that blacking out in most all activities was a result of lack of oxygen to the brain. Unless of course there was actual medical issues. We had to go thru a class on how to breath properly. Because prior to zero g you're pulling 2-4 g. Poor breathing in positive g prodused the same results as mentioned...swimmers, fuzzy vision, tunnel vision.
  • jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Blacking out, or nearly so is pretty commonplace in deads.

I will second just about everybody here and shake my head at that work load.

Switch dead to end and drop some work. Did I understand you deadlift three times a week at those reps and RM%
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    Do you do your sets without resetting the lift between pulls? That could easily mean you don't breathe between pulls. Even without knowing.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Blacking out, or nearly so is pretty commonplace in deads.

I will second just about everybody here and shake my head at that work load.

Switch dead to end and drop some work. Did I understand you deadlift three times a week at those reps and RM%

No sorry - I wasn't very specific. DLs are just on Wednesdays.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DTrain351 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be holding your breath at all during a lift. Exhale on the exertion portion, inhale deeply on the reset.

This is entirely incorrect. Holding your breath during deadlifts is one of the most critical components of injury prevention. Sure you may get a little winded, but she's talking about being winded and exhausted for the rest of the workout. That's just fatigue and is normal. Outside of hydration or nutrition issues (no carbs consumed near/during the workout) I'd say it's pretty typical.
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    How many of us actually lower the bar down in full control, instead of just sort of follow it down? Plenty possible to cheat a little and exhale on the way. You have to breathe between pulls, or you'll keel over eventually.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    DTrain351 wrote: »

This is entirely incorrect. Holding your breath during deadlifts is one of the most critical components of injury prevention. Sure you may get a little winded, but she's talking about being winded and exhausted for the rest of the workout. That's just fatigue and is normal. Outside of hydration or nutrition issues (no carbs consumed near/during the workout) I'd say it's pretty typical.

there are different schools of thought about when to let air out during deadlifts.

For me during my warmups sets i'll let a little air out after the sticking point . But for heavy pulls, i definitely hold my air in as long and as hard as i can for max core support, for the whole entire lift until lockout