HELP not losing weight. Losing motivation

Options
Good morning! I have been on this app for 30 days, logging my diet religiously. I have not lied and I've done my best to measure correctly. I'm trying to lose 50 pounds. I have a goal of 1200 calories a day. I go to the gym 1 to 3 times a week. After 30 days I have only lost 5 pounds. I feel like I'm doing all this work for nothing. How to I lose more weight?

Replies

• BigBangBeliever
    BigBangBeliever Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was expecting 2 pounds a week which I figured was about 10 pounds a day. I am a 22 year old female at 5'1 at 175. I started at 181 and my goal is 130. Technically 130 is still "overweight" if you go by bmi. Right now I'm in the "obese category".
    Thanks guys, I just feel like I should be losing more.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm curious as to how much you expected to lose in 30 days? You've done a great job to lose 5 pounds this month! Keep your momentum going because you are doing great!

I'm guessing she has seen a lot of those magazines at the grocery checkout lines that all have the same type of headline: lose 3 pounds a day! Shred that belly fat and be 15 pounds lighter in a week! Etc.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Did it set you to 1200 calories when you chose 2 pounds a week? If so, that's the lowest MFP will give you, which means your goal is too aggressive. A pound a week is better for you to make sure you fuel your body and retain as much muscle as possible.
  • BigBangBeliever
    Options
    Lol no, I expected 2 pounds a week for 5 weeks. :p I have realistic goals, I don't want to be supermodel skinny. I never read those magazines hah
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    A lot of different factors go into how fast you'll lose weight. Different people lose weight at different paces, so you may not fall into what the "average" (which really isn't accurate at all and discourages people when they don't meet it) person loses. 5lbs is still a great amount for a month, in fact that is my monthly goal.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was expecting 2 pounds a week which I figured was about 10 pounds a day. I am a 22 year old female at 5'1 at 175. I started at 181 and my goal is 130. Technically 130 is still "overweight" if you go by bmi. Right now I'm in the "obese category".
    Thanks guys, I just feel like I should be losing more.

A lot of people have the delusion that fat people lose weight more quickly. It isn't true.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You're doing great by the way :) It's a long term process. People who lose quickly tend to put it back on quickly, remember that.
  • BigBangBeliever
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I'm working on making a work out routine for 3 days a week. Just some days I'm not motivated. I am trying to move away from the scale and over to the tape measure to measure progress as well.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I would change your goal to 1 pound per week. This is a more reasonable calorie goal since MFP defaults to 1200 and for most people this is too low especially if you are active.
  • mplyler512
    mplyler512 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maintaining proper diet and hydration while working out is the most important factor at play. If that is happening, then what this tells me is that you lost 5 pounds of fat in the last month, all while maintaining/strengthening muscle and staying hydrated. 5 pounds is a fantastic start! Just think where you will be in the next few months at the same rate.
  • 1smallgirl
    1smallgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 5 lbs in 1 month. That's great. Remember it took a while to put those calories on. It will take a minute to get them off. You can increase weight loss slightly by burning more calories, but make sure you are looking at your reports and getting in your nutrients.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    5 lbs gone--good for you! You are doing everything right. Now, on to the next 5 lbs...
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good morning! I have been on this app for 30 days, logging my diet religiously. I have not lied and I've done my best to measure correctly. I'm trying to lose 50 pounds. I have a goal of 1200 calories a day. I go to the gym 1 to 3 times a week. After 30 days I have only lost 5 pounds. I feel like I'm doing all this work for nothing. How to I lose more weight?

WTF! Since when is losing 5 lbs not losing weight? Hello! You didn't gain 50 lbs in 2 weeks and you sure as hell aren't going to lose it in two weeks!

I would suggest breaking your 50 lb goal up into smaller goals. It seems to me like you're getting overwhelmed by that number. I'm doing my ticker 10 lbs at a time. So right now, my goals is to lose 32 pounds (because I've already lost 23). Once I hit 32 pounds, I'll make it say 40 lbs, and once I hit 40 lbs, I'll make it say 50. Break it into smaller more manageable goals. As I get smaller and the weight gets harder to lose, I'll break it into 5 lb increments.

Until then, CHILL! Losing 5 lbs is better than losing 0 lbs.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I have been on this app for 30 days, logging my diet religiously. I have not lied and I've done my best to measure correctly. I'm trying to lose 50 pounds. I have a goal of 1200 calories a day. I go to the gym 1 to 3 times a week.

Keep doing it that way. Maybe don't focus on the 50 lb but just worry about the one day in front of you. You got this.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Have patience OP--losing weight takes time :) Be proud of your loss so far!