Is my gf too underweight?

Options
darrensurrey
darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
Stats: she's 5'6 and weighs about 55kg.

Brief description: You can see her ribs. She does yoga. You can see her abdominals. She has very thin limbs.

She knows she ought to eat more. She eats very healthily and so doesn't take in that many calories. I wonder if encouraging her to focus on compound lifting would increase her weight while making her look healthier providing she eats more. At the moment, she thinks my 8kg kettlebell is too heavy.

What do you think?

PS If she is happy as she is, I won't complain but in the back of my mind, she does look a little unhealthy. She has acknowledged she needs to put on some weight.

Replies

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    That's not a terrible weight for a naturally thin woman at 5'6". It sounds like she could do with some lifting, though.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    She's not underweight at all - her BMI is around 19.5 which is perfectly fine. Low-er end, but not underweight. Don't sweat it.

It does sound like she could do with some lifting. Honestly though I've been doing kettlebells for a while and 8kg is still a bit heavy for me (but in my defense I have joint and mobility issues and nerve damage). Start off on a 4, there if she can't complete a workout with an 8. Nothing wrong with a 4.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I would focus on strength not weight when you talk with her about it - you will likely have better luck :)
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Seeing ribs doesn't always mean underweight. Mine have shown for awhile and my BMI is in the high 22s at the moment. It is more to do with how your body distributes weight (mine is all in the lower half...). I'm a 5'5" woman and use a 20 lb (~9.1 kg) or 25 lb (~11.3) kettlebell at the moment, depending on the exercise, though I did start with something lower at the beginning of the year.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have been suggesting she tries to develop her strength as she will feel good for it. I told her there was nothing wrong with strong, powerful women in my books. :)

I will look at getting a lighter KB to start with.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Seeing ribs doesn't always mean underweight. Mine have shown for awhile and my BMI is in the high 22s at the moment. It is more to do with how your body distributes weight (mine is all in the lower half...). I'm a 5'5" woman and use a 20 lb (~9.1 kg) or 25 lb (~11.3) kettlebell at the moment, depending on the exercise, though I did start with something lower at the beginning of the year.

This.

My ribs are visible even at 23BMI.

Unless she carries her weight in her upper half, seeing her ribs shouldn't really be a cause for concern. Apple or pear shaped bodies have more prominent ribs.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Stats: she's 5'6 and weighs about 55kg.

Brief description: You can see her ribs. She does yoga. You can see her abdominals. She has very thin limbs.

She knows she ought to eat more. She eats very healthily and so doesn't take in that many calories. I wonder if encouraging her to focus on compound lifting would increase her weight while making her look healthier providing she eats more. At the moment, she thinks my 8kg kettlebell is too heavy.

What do you think?

PS If she is happy as she is, I won't complain but in the back of my mind, she does look a little unhealthy. She has acknowledged she needs to put on some weight.

Telling a woman that her weight is not ideal seems to be a bad idea in this forum.

What do I think? Be honest with her even if the subject is her weight. It's the only way to have a healthy relationship. Also, while she's on the thinner side of healthy she's not unhealthy based on those stats. How old is she? I know I personally didn't fill out more until I was in my mid 20s.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,007 Member
    Options
    No. She is not underweight. She is at the lower end of the bmi range for her height, but not at all underweight. Her bmi is 19.5 and it should be between 18.5 - 24.9. My daughter is 5'6" and weighs 103. Her bmi is 16.6. She is underweight. I don't think your gf needs to put on any weight unless she wants to. And I think that really you should stay out of it. Telling someone they look too thin is just as rude and hurtful as telling someone they are too heavy.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    What do I think? Be honest with her even if the subject is her weight. It's the only way to have a healthy relationship. Also, while she's on the thinner side of healthy she's not unhealthy based on those stats. How old is she? I know I personally didn't fill out more until I was in my mid 20s.

In her 40s. :D
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Offer to cook her some nice meals, while making sure they're higher calorie than normal.

Buy some new larger dinner plates, it's a good way to increase her portions without her noticing.

I'm joking of course.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I don't think your gf needs to put on any weight unless she wants to. And I think that really you should stay out of it. Telling someone they look too thin is just as rude and hurtful as telling someone they are too heavy.

Sure - she has mentioned it to me so I started considering ideas.
  • exact0ninja
    exact0ninja Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That's all very vague. Some people are actually naturally thin with high metabolisms. It's all about body type and bone structure which is all measurable. That is why the bmi average range is rather wide.

Also, if you're concerned with your gfs health, then you're doing the right thing figuring out if it is a considerable factor for her or not to need to eat more. It's a valid question. If I had a boyfriend who was ungodly skinny and I wasn't sure what was the right healthy weight etc, I would be asking questions too.