'Gentle' June Step Challenge

Options
Wysewoman53
Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
I have been on two different step challenges that have both been 10,000 steps challenges. Everyone starts out all gung-ho...got a gazillion steps in today or this week...and then, they are gone! I don't know if members just lost interest or the 10,000 steps were just too much for someone just starting something like this.

What I would like to start is something more realistic for people who work in offices or are just starting out as far as walking is concerned.

There would be no limit...top or bottom...just recording steps taken in a day. The goal would be your own and, I think, would be a little easier to maintain if the only person in competition with you would be YOU. This would just be a place to record what a person is doing and maybe help with motivation to keep moving forward.

How this would work is for each person to record how many steps taken in a day...or a week...or how ever you would want to do this. Record it even if you only took 100 steps or 30,000 or anywhere in between. With this gentle challenge, there would be no failure, no judgement. As I said, the goal is your own. Summer is pretty much here so we are probably going to be outside more, walking more, just plain doing more and this challenge would just be a little incentive to keep us all moving.

Anyone want in? I will be here all month.

Replies

• Wysewoman53
    Options
    tamracgoff wrote: »
    I'd like in.
    My fitbit goal is set at 5,000 right now. I want to try to add 1000 each week.

Welcome!
  • Txgal555
    Txgal555 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit goal is set to 10000 aday. Iam in
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll try. I can't do 10,000 steps. :neutral:
  • bhaney10
    bhaney10 Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've been really busy at work and home life. But I like this challenge! I'm in :) I wish I had a fit bit. But I do have a lg phone that tracks my phone...I currently have 2375 steps in (not super accurate). But I'd like to challenge myself and double that! I need the motivation though!
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    Txgal555 wrote: »
    My Fitbit goal is set to 10000 aday. Iam in
    bhaney10 wrote: »
    I've been really busy at work and home life. But I like this challenge! I'm in :) I wish I had a fit bit. But I do have a lg phone that tracks my phone...I currently have 2375 steps in (not super accurate). But I'd like to challenge myself and double that! I need the motivation though!

Welcome!
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    Ok, I'll try. I can't do 10,000 steps. :neutral:

That's what's great about this 'challenge'. You don't have to do 10,000 steps...there is no requirement for how many steps you do a day or a week or however you want to log your steps in. This is about motivation and support to get us up and moving. If you take any steps at all in a day, and I'm pretty sure everyone does unless unable to walk for medical reasons, then why not record it?

Welcome!
  • terrig713
    terrig713 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in, using the Garmin Vivofit. Goal today is 8975
  • joslynp
    joslynp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join. My fitbit goal is 10k daily
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    terrig713 wrote: »
    I'm in, using the Garmin Vivofit. Goal today is 8975
    joslynp wrote: »
    I'd like to join. My fitbit goal is 10k daily

Welcome!
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    I also use a Garmin Vivofit. What I usually do is put in my steps the next day. For instance, I will put my steps in tomorrow morning for June 1st which is why I will have a date on my entries.
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    June 1st

19,605 steps
  • sherbearp0123
    sherbearp0123 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm in! My Fitbit goal is 8k but on Sunday's it will be 5k. It is realistic for me and yet some days a challenge for sure! Thank you Wysewoman53!
  • sherbearp0123
    sherbearp0123 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    (Goal: Mon-Sat 8K & Sun- 5K)
    6/1/16: 8606
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    I'm in! My Fitbit goal is 8k but on Sunday's it will be 5k. It is realistic for me and yet some days a challenge for sure! Thank you Wysewoman53!

Welcome, @sherbearp0123! I, too, take it easy on the weekends. Some Saturdays, I'm lucky to get in 5,000 steps! I had a PT, who is an extreme runner (30 miles at a time is nothing for him!) tell me that we need to rest a couple of days a week to allow our bodies to 'catch up' to new activity. It sets us up for the next round all renewed and fresh.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Challenges are not my thing, but supporting my friends is. So I'm in for you! I am happy for everyone who succeeds in maintaining or increasing activity as I watch my mom get walker and weaker.

When I started my weight loss in November 2014 I was getting fewer than 3.5k steps a day. I had pericarditis and moving was exceptionally difficult.

I started reading steps daily on my phone in late May 2015. The first month I averaged 7200 steps, which was a big improvement.

Yesterday, June 1 I walked 15,008 steps.
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    Thank you, @tomteboda! Your support means more to me than you know. I didn't really know what to call this other than a challenge altho' challenge isn't exactly the word I was looking to use. Maybe 'Gentle June Step Support' would have been a better choice.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    June 2: Not exactly sure. In excess of 16K. I had to take my phone off and charge it twice today and I was pretty active while it was charging, but I logged 15,923 with it on. I was not TRYING to get a lot of steps, I've just been insanely busy lately.
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    June 2: Not exactly sure. In excess of 16K. I had to take my phone off and charge it twice today and I was pretty active while it was charging, but I logged 15,923 with it on. I was not TRYING to get a lot of steps, I've just been insanely busy lately.

I know what you mean about being busy. It's the end of the school year and we are busier than ever with all the extra activities going on. Plus it has been so nice the last week, have been spending a lot of time outside which adds up steps without even realizing it.

June 2nd

17,154 steps