Questions for Runners

Options
2»

Replies

• beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    1. Why is it so much easier to run on a treadmill, than outside in your local neighborhood?
    2. Which is better health wise, to run on treadmill or outside?
    3. How do you prevent side stitches from occurring while running?
    4. How often do you run?

1. I think it depends on your life and where you live. I choose the treadmill because I have 2 kids and my neighborhood isn't the safest place to run.

2. Again, I think it depends on where you live. Some places might have higher pollution than others and some places are more crowed with vehicles so the chance of getting hit by a car might be higher. Other than that health wise it's probably the same.

3. You have to get use to it. If you think about it you are constantly moving your torso. It's like doing hundreds of mini crunches.

4. 2 miles 5-6 days a week.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I must be the only one finds running outdoors easier than the treadmill! I seem to be able to run faster outside, think it's because there's more to look at and it just inspires me to push that bit harder somehow.

I'm the same way so i run inside as much as possible
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I've never run on a treadmill, so I'll skip the first two questions. I find a stationary bike and a rowing erg boring enough; I can't imagine how boring a treadmill must be!

As for the remaining two:

3. There are various theories about the cause of stitches; cramps in the diaphragm is one. This webpage has some useful tips for avoiding them. I think the most important is to warm up thoroughly and don't run too fast. A lot of beginning runners think they should be nearly sprinting. Instead, run slowly enough that you can speak in complete sentences.

4. I run every other day, so 3 days one week, 4 days the next. Most of my runs are 4-6 miles, but every week I do a long run. On a 4-run week, it's usually 8 miles. On a 3-run week, it's currently 9.5, and I'm working up to a half marathon distance (13.1 miles). I cycle or hike on most non-running days.

It's important to build up your running gradually. I often recommend the Couch to 5K program as a good way to do that without injury.