I feel so bad for eating Toblerone

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I actually for the past 3 years or so pretty much have eaten an entire chocolate bar every night...

I freeze it...let it sit in my mouth and melt slowly...Cadbury.....*drools*

When I was actively losing I would prelog my days and ensure I had room for the chocolate even before exercise and was never hungry as I made sure I got lots of protein and fats in there as well.

Chocolate is not the devil...if you love it eat it...make room for it or exercise for it...
  • tripple7
    tripple7 Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've managed to keep up with my chocolate cravings by replacing chocolate bars with "chocolate flavoured protein bars". I wouldn't worry about the chocolate bars as slip-ups are more than normal, just take it as your cheat day as its been a week since you touched chocolate.

You should really include treats in your diet, as your new found diet should be a lifestyle and not a temporary fix.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    tripple7 wrote: »
    I've managed to keep up with my chocolate cravings by replacing chocolate bars with "chocolate flavoured protein bars".
    I've done the same thing (though I'm not specifically replacing chocolate - just sweets in general). There's a protein bar in my lunch bag every day.

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    2 pieces? Just work it into you plan which is what I do. I had 2 pieces yesterday broken up and put in a pot of plain fat free Greek yogurt and boy it was fantastic.
  • reinventingjessica11
    reinventingjessica11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself. Make it fit into your calories if its something you like. I've found that allowing myself whatever I like on this journey as long as it fits has helped tremendously.
  • polly1970
    polly1970 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Why did I google "Jaffa Cakes"?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    polly1970 wrote: »

Because the mfp message boards are a bad influence.

:)
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I think 2 pieces is the serving size anyways of toblerone. Don't feel too bad. At least you only had 2 pieces and didn't get carried away. You're a living being not a robot. Things happen, its how you respond to it though that makes or breaks you. If you are still keeping up with your exercising and your other eating habits, 2 pieces isn't going to kill you/suddenly make you gain a ton of weight again. You might benefit from having days where you have already included the chocolate or another sweet treat into your food plan for the day. That way you'll know you didn't go over, and can eat in peace and enjoy yourself.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have seen mini-Toblerone bars at Target (in a big bag). I don't know whether they come little individually or not, but if they did, why not walk to the store, buy one, and walk home? Then you get exercise AND candy. Or maybe buy the bag of the minis, give the bag to someone you trust won't eat them, and have them give you one every day. Because, honestly, Toblerones are the best and depriving yourself will just make you eat a huge one down the road.

I understand the guilt. I cannot have anything remotely tasty in my house because I will eat it. And I mean eat all of it...like, something that is four servings becomes one big serving for me. It's like alcoholism--nobody who has given up alcohol would necessarily say, "Oh, I can handle one." I can't handle ANY candy because I have no self-control. It blows, because while I've lost weight, I rarely eat anything now I truly enjoy, and I love food so much. But if you're the person who can't stop, maybe you should give it up cold turkey.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Make it fit into your calories if you don't want to live without it forever. I eat chocolate and treat all the time and still lose.

The problem is that once I have a piece I will litrally eat the whole bar!! And then want more, i will try to limit myself to once a week perhaps? thanks hun xx

But you did not eat the whole bar. You ate two pieces. You are more capable of moderating than you think.
    Maybe inetead of negative self talk you should remind yourself that you can eat just 2 pieces and have more tomorrow.

So absolutely this! Your mental picture of yourself ("once I have a piece I will litrally eat the whole bar!!") doesn't seem to match your actual, fairly-well-managed results ("ate 2 prices").

Just log it, and go on with life. If you like chocolate, find a way to include it within your goal now & then so that it doesn't become some kind of giant mythical beast marauding in your head. ;)

As long as you don't go much over goal very often, and don't eat "treats" to the exclusion of good nutrition, you'll be just fine. The majority of our days determine the majority of our progress.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Ok, nevermind about the jaffa cakes. I took a closer look and I'm not down with citrus flavored jelly. Maybe I should hit up Trader Joe's for a toblerone. :)

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    That's a very skewed perspective! Did anyone (including yourself) get hurt?

You "slipped up" - it won't be the last time in your life.

Maybe complete deprivation isn't the way? Work it into your calories and enjoy as a treat would be an alternative strategy.
    please don't criticise me, you don't know me, I'm just struggling with a craving and wanted some advice, i know its not the end of the world it's just chocolate! !!!, thanks

xxx

Relax. It's okay to eat chocolate. Every day. I do, and am losing weight just fine.

Don't deprive yourself. Start seeing all foods as being the same. Eat.
    No more guilt, okay?

There are no bad foods unless you have a medical reason to avoid the food.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it. You had two pieces; NOT the whole bar! Just make sure it fits your calorie allowance.

I was a chocoaholic. Literally every time I went to the store, I would buy a big bag of chocolate buttons, malteasers, m&ms, and scoff the lot in one sitting. Now I buy the mini sizes of the chocolates (around about 100 calories each) and have one every day. I have a chocolate drawer at work full of them.

I appreciate the flavour so much more now as I savour the taste. I let it melt in my mouth slowly. It's wonderful.

The cravings to binge on chocolate will fade slowly over time. You just need the willpower at first, then it almost becomes second nature. Bit like a smoker weaning off cigarettes.

Don't stop eating chocolate completely. It's too awesome.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I just did also. Yuck. The quote that came up with the picture is "this must be a food you like because you grow up eating it."

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

I just did also. Yuck. The quote that came up with the picture is "this must be a food you like because you grow up eating it."

where is the dislike button. jaffa cakes are just too nice.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I like chocolate and I like oranges, but not together. I definitely could resist Jaffa Cakes.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If you can't handle Toblerone, how are you going to handle Haiwaiian Host Aloha Gems (190 / 2 pieces)? :)

91KopUdIK6L._SX522_.jpg
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    ahhh macadamias! how are you my friends, do you remember me from the days of Atkins? how we used to laugh, dance and sing!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a Jaffa Cake, haven't had any in ages though.

My current daily treat of choice is a Galaxy caramel cake bar. 150 calories of delicious.

You can get regular candy bar sized Toblerones but really, who is down for that? Airport sized or go home!

But in all seriousness, east the foods you like. If you have to "reward" yourself for eating a salad with chocolate then I feel like this isn't going to be easy for you long term. It is a learning curve at first but honestly, eat what you want within your calories and don;t assign emotions to food. It is all fuel (and FYI, fat is not evil either, it's actual an essential dietary requirement).
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If you can't handle Toblerone, how are you going to handle Haiwaiian Host Aloha Gems (190 / 2 pieces)? :)

91KopUdIK6L._SX522_.jpg

Their chocolate isn't as good as it used to be, either. :neutral: