Am I the only runner in the world that doesn't hate the treadmill?

Options
I hear so many people who just hate it, refuse to use it, etc. They say they'd rather run outside in 90 degree heat or snow than hit the TM. Eff that, I say. I like running outside as much as the next guy but I don't feel the need to suffer and be miserable in nasty weather.

And I don't really mind it. I put on some netflix, set my speed and just zone out. It definitely gets boring when I get up to an hour or so but it has some benefits. Lower impact, controlled speed, controlled climate, etc.

Am I crazy?

Replies

• Steven_626
    Steven_626 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Circuits. Try something like 10 push ups, running in place or jump roping, 10 burpees, and curls or something along those lines. Do 4 rounds or so of that or what you feel comfortable with.

You can mix it up with what equipment you have or just use entirely body weight items. Look online for more circuit ideas!
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No.

I like both running outside and the treadmill. I for one am not going to run or walk outside when it's raining or cold and snowing. Where I live there's monster pot holes and in the winter time they're covered with ice and snow which can be quite dangerous. I don't see slipping and falling or snapping an ankle as a fun time.

I don't mind terribly running when it's hot out.

I'm actually getting back into running so right now since it's nice I've been doing them outside. I intend to keep up with it so when the weather starts to turn I'll bring it in to the treadmill. I usually just throw a show on or play music and it passes the time quickly. I'm also not running more than 3 or 4 miles either (depending on how long my playlist or whatever I'm watching is) so by time it starts to get really boring I'm done.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't hate it...it is awesome for drying our towels when we get out of the hot tub.

Actually - don't hate it in the winter and during bad weather. Otherwise I am OUTSIDE!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I actually kinda prefer the treadmill right now. It's what I started on, and it's what I use during the week. There's no way on earth that I can get up any earlier than I absolutely have to, and I have various commitments after work, so I work out on my lunch hour, on the treadmill. On weekends I go outside, and find it infinitely more challenging -- hills, wind, heat, etc -- and a little frustrating. I have yet to find a good place to run outside that isn't full of people and cars to dodge, and I hate that. I like to be completely alone. At least on the treadmill, I can put in my ear buds, listen to my tunes and just zone out into my little happy place.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Not crazy, but you won't find me on a treadmill. It bothers my knees. Outdoor road or indoor track running for me. And yes, running in 90+ heat is not fun even after you adapt. Running in full-on thunderstorms isn't all that either (though the lightning shows can be stunning).
  • InCHarmsWay
    InCHarmsWay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like it too! I have a really hard time keeping a consistent pace when running outside (I know there are ways to work on that, but I haven't really committed to it yet) so the treadmill helps me with that. I also find it's one of the only times I get to watch Netflix or other shows, so it helps makes the time pass faster.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    When the weather gets extreme, I am NOT up for punishment...and running early or late leaves me excuses to not get it done at all. So rather than beat the heat ir wait for a winter day to warm up, the treadmill and Netflix or hulu is there for me and I am fine with it. I can totally relate to you!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I really don't mind running on the treadmill at all. I probably use the treadmill for 60ish % of my runs each year. I will not run outside in the cold, period. And I definitely won't run in the rain. I can do the heat but during summer I will try and go early enough that's it's still below 90. The treadmill at my gym is my go-to for before work cardio. I will not run outside in the dark at 5:30 am.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't mind running on the treadmill. There are pros, some of which were mentioned: Controlled speed is #1, as I still can't figure out how to pace myself.

Otherwise, I prefer trails if I'm running outside. The issue with trails is that I won't listen to music if I'm running trails. I find it is too distracting for such terrain, and had an injury in Dec. as a result. So if I'm running on roads/paved areas or treadmills, I listen to music... that is a nice plus.

So there are good and bad to both options.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i like both. i'm in a treadmill phase right now
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill. I live in the DC area - hot and humid in the summer - brutal running outside. I'm also allergic to every blade of grass and tree so running inside is MUCH more enjoyable.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a good quality treadmill. I have a NordicTrack C1550 and while I would prefer to run outside as much as possible, I never grumble about running on the treadmill.

Was only about 2 months ago we had a freak snowstorm on a Sunday I was scheduled to do a 17 mile long run. So it happened on my treadmill. Big deal, it just got done, no complaints.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I do hate it but that's because I just can't seem to get on with the motion of it - it feels really unnatural to me and the run seems like a perpetual fight rather than zoning out.

I have other friends who much prefer it to running outside though.

Horses for courses innit?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill in my basement. I use it mainly for speed intervals. I prefer doing intervals on the treadmill to outside because I feel like you have more control of your pace. On the other hand, I hate doing steady paced running on the treadmill for two reasons: my stride is altered by the treadmill and I find it dreadfully boring. If I only have a short, easy run planned and it's miserable outside, sometimes I will just hit the treadmill. But for anything over 45 minutes, I would rather suck it up and brave the elements.
  • reinventingjessica11
    reinventingjessica11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill to running outside. I get awful shin splints when I run outside, and I hate running in the heat. I'm also fairly new to running, so I suppose at some point I'll learn to love the outdoors as well.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I don't just tolerate the treadmill, I really like the treadmill. I can get a much better workout, ex. running 9 % incline doing speed intervals, rather than just running around the streets. The time flies on the treadmill, I don't even notice the first 30 minutes and usually run for an hour, versus when I'm outside I'm like "really only 10 minutes have gone by!" And yes, climate control is great.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I like it too, takes way less mental energy for me to just hop on and run compared to having to figure out a route etc.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    I do hate it but that's because I just can't seem to get on with the motion of it - it feels really unnatural to me and the run seems like a perpetual fight rather than zoning out.

I have other friends who much prefer it to running outside though.

Horses for courses innit?

My wife has the same issue. Can't find a rhythm and feels like she's fighting the thing. Not for everyone for sure.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a good quality treadmill. I have a NordicTrack C1550 and while I would prefer to run outside as much as possible, I never grumble about running on the treadmill.

Was only about 2 months ago we had a freak snowstorm on a Sunday I was scheduled to do a 17 mile long run. So it happened on my treadmill. Big deal, it just got done, no complaints.

Wow, never tried one than long on the TM. Do you watch TV/movies while you're on there? Your pic looks like you do do triathlons. You training for anything right now?
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Not runner now but was in the past combo of track and treadmill. I didn't mind the treadmill. I'm walking now usually 2-3 miles a day on the treadmill. Sure having a change of scenery is okay but when we get into this weather we have right now(100-115) nope treadmill all the way.