Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Interesting way that people excuse their overweight / obesity

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    @FridayApril01st2016

Sure, it's just amazing that the individual differences held true, well they'd have to wouldn't they? In fact one person in the experiment gained additonal muscle which helped to burn fat.

Loosing weight, gaining weight....very much done on an individual basis--very interesting about the younger children, some of them ate evrything in sight while others ignored extra food once they were fill.

Of particular importance for ppl commenting in this thread is how it's been proven that some people catch a "virus" that causes them to gain weight and become obese--a virus.

Some people're different, from the general population: Mary Mallon (Typhoid Mary), comes to mind!

Being a disease carrier is not an abnormal occurrence.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I use to be one of those people who blamed everything and everyone else for my being overweight. Now I know better. Its my fault and I'm not afraid to admit. Sure there were circumstances in my past that led to me being overweight at a younge age but as I got older I could've done something about it. I chose not to and I'm paying the price for it. I would do anything to go back and shake some sense into my young self, but alas that cannot happen. Lol. It is what is now. I've learned my lesson and now I'm working my butt trying to be a healthier, better version of myself. :)

As long as there is breath in your body, it's never too late. I applaud you.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    @FridayApril01st2016
    This FTO gene was mentioned in link that you shared, I watched then found this online....this article reinforces why CICO doesn't apply as a one size fits all:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0713/15072013-How-obesity-gene-triggers-weight-gain-Batterham
  • meganlc0
    meganlc0 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I assume what your GF was referring to is the fact that once you are "fat" and have extra fatty, fat cells those fat cells once made smaller through fat loss will always remain and want to be "full". Those extra fat cells create hormones that DO make it harder to maintain weight loss. That doesn't mean that CICO isn't a thing, it just means that once fat people who don't want to worry about CICO every moment of the rest of their lives most likely ARE going to gain weight back.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I'm kind of interested in the way people explain their behavior. One example is pertinent to weight loss / diet. I was having a debate with my girlfriend about this, who was arguing what basically sounded like the set-point theory to me. The argument went something like this:

Me: "I think anyone can lose weight, it's just a matter of CICO."

Her: "Except that people's bodies naturally have a certain preference for a certain weight. You can force your body down to a particular weight, but then your body will want to go back to the weight it was at."

Anyone notice anything strange about this kind of use of language? As if "you" are separate from "your body." How can a "body" want something (like, a preferred weight range) without a person controlling it? Isn't this a strange use of language, like we're somehow divorced from our bodies?

Anyways, just a philosophical point really.

If it were as simple as CICO, there wouldn't be thousands of studies showing that chemical and hormonal factors play a role. The problem is that most people who acknowledge there is more at work often use it as a generalization, or are under the false impression that secondary factors are more common than they actually are.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I don't know about set point, it might or might not be a thing. What I find really interesting is how naturally weight stable people (not necessarily thin) actually maintain within 5 pounds autonomously until something changes like their general level of activity... that's only a few dozen of calories. The precision It's amazing and fascinating without conscious control over the calories. I would love to find out the mechanisms that contribute to that, both physical and mental.

I suspect it's mostly psychological, and depends on the beliefs you learned from childhood on about food and nutrition. Naturally weight stable people eat what they want, eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full, and seldom eat emotionally out of boredom, depression, anxiety, or the like; food is for nutrition or for fellowship, there are no bad foods. Those who aren't naturally weight stable feel guilty when they eat what they want, have not learned to recognize when they're hungry or satiated, and self-medicate with their food; food is for meeting needs unmet elsewhere, there are bad foods that you have to avoid at all costs, and "transgressions" result in self-hatred and a sense of failure.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's really an "excuse" all the time. When you get down to the last 5-10 pounds it gets harder to lose weight, or people plateau at a specific point and they think that they just can't lose the weight. It kind of makes sense to believe that your body isn't meant to go below a certain weight if you try and try to lose weight but it doesn't happen. Obviously it's not true, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they're trying to come up with excuses to not do it, although I agree that SOME people are but not all.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of interested in the way people explain their behavior. One example is pertinent to weight loss / diet. I was having a debate with my girlfriend about this, who was arguing what basically sounded like the set-point theory to me. The argument went something like this:

Me: "I think anyone can lose weight, it's just a matter of CICO."

Her: "Except that people's bodies naturally have a certain preference for a certain weight. You can force your body down to a particular weight, but then your body will want to go back to the weight it was at."

Anyone notice anything strange about this kind of use of language? As if "you" are separate from "your body." How can a "body" want something (like, a preferred weight range) without a person controlling it? Isn't this a strange use of language, like we're somehow divorced from our bodies?

Anyways, just a philosophical point really.

What about all the people that don't count calories, weigh, measure their food, eat whatever portions're available to them & stay a consistent weight? All 4 years of high school I weighed 137 pounds, when I got weighed; during my check ups, I was sedentary & consuming 4,000 to 6,000 calories a day. I ate for taste & because it was there. I'd eat until I had to unbutton/unzip my pants, could feel the food coming up my throat & never gained weight. I'd eat a meal consisting of a salad with extra dressing, an appetizer, a main portion, 2 sides an iced tea or soda (sometimes 2) a milkshake plus a slice of cake & get the same amount of food to go (minus the iced tea and/or soda) because a 5 minute car ride home, made me half as hungry again.

Very interesting, we all know people like this dont we? Seems like sooner or later the food does catch up to most of them though. Btw, ur post made me long for those days haha, great now lm hungry
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    How can a "body" want something (like, a preferred weight range) without a person controlling it?

You mean like to pee? Or the urge to breathe?

It's a result of evolution.

Pressure in the bladder or the sensation of air hunger isn't the "body wanting something" - which implies that our bodies have intentionality outside of our own as sentient beings. Which is a really odd duality - "you" can want something but your "body" can want something else (as if your body is somehow separate from you).

Okay I just gotta point out this is is a cop out. you are arguing language semantics. you know what they meant.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    See "starvation mode isn't real" and I'm going to nope on out of here. Hormonal imbalances don't exist, science doesn't exist, only the studies that back up what you specifically believe, right. There is no medication that drastically speeds up or slows down your metablosim /s