Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Interesting way that people excuse their overweight / obesity

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    See "starvation mode isn't real" and I'm going to nope on out of here. Hormonal imbalances don't exist, science doesn't exist, only the studies that back up what you specifically believe, right. There is no medication that drastically speeds up or slows down your metablosim /s

You seem to only believe studies that back up what you believe too. Starvation mode doesn't exist as you believe it does otherwise anorexics would be obese. Yes your metabolism slows down but not enough to counteract the weight lose. There are very few medications that "drastically" slow down your metabolism. A lot of the time they increase appetite so you eat more. I don't see you linking to any studies
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    See "starvation mode isn't real" and I'm going to nope on out of here. Hormonal imbalances don't exist, science doesn't exist, only the studies that back up what you specifically believe, right. There is no medication that drastically speeds up or slows down your metablosim /s

You seem to only believe studies that back up what you believe too. Starvation mode doesn't exist as you believe it does otherwise anorexics would be obese. Yes your metabolism slows down but not enough to counteract the weight lose. There are very few medications that "drastically" slow down your metabolism. A lot of the time they increase appetite so you eat more. I don't see you linking to any studies
    "Starvation mode doesn't exist as you believe it"

your assuming I believe misinformation. I don't believe that starvation mode causes you to gain weight, but that it makes losing weight harder. your metabolsim slows down, that's it.

There are a lot of medications that effect metabolism, but it would be impossible to provide a source for this without spending hours copying and pasting different medications, which I'm not going to do.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I didn't say medication doesn't effect metabolism. I said few medications "drastically" change metabolism.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

"Starvation mode doesn't exist as you believe it"

your assuming I believe misinformation. I don't believe that starvation mode causes you to gain weight, but that it makes losing weight harder. your metabolsim slows down, that's it.

There are a lot of medications that effect metabolism, but it would be impossible to provide a source for this without spending hours copying and pasting different medications, which I'm not going to do.

None of these things have very significant impacts, though.

Weight gain caused by any of them, with caloric intake being what it should, would be minimal. The people usually blaming medication for metabolic slow down or metabolic adaptation are obese, not carrying around an extra 10 or 20 pounds.

That was painful to type, because metabolic adaptation is debated to begin with because it was found that the people supposedly stalled were... quelle surprise!... eating (binging really) food and not logging it.

For people who have been dieting a long time who have hormonal issues, simply eating at maintenance for a bit and perhaps moving a tiny bit more counters any difficulties.

In none of these instances is weight gain experienced.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Her answer is right and maintaining weight will be a life long effort
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat, I'm big boned!

of course you are. the cemeteries are full of obese skeletons!

Big Boned!!! bs..
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I read once about a study: that an adults fat cell count and size is determined by a blueprint set during puberty. Your shape, fat cell count, and BMI are all set at an "ideal" when you go through puberty, and throughout your adult life, your body will always try to go back to that preset. This is why you can destroy fat cells with surgery, but they will grow back to what your body considers idyllic.

My last endocrinologist (who I see for my Hashimoto's disease, along with 3 other autoimmune diseases) consulted with my nutritionist, and they both said "you are doing everything right, we can't ask you to go below 1,100 calories, your body just wants you to be overweight. It's okay, because you're healthy, but your body just doesn't want you to lose weight, so if you want to, you'll have work much harder than others have to"

I fired that endo. CICO works for me for basic weight loss. I was extremely, heartbroken this year, distressed and in a daze for months, and didn't eat much more than 500 calories a day (usually in the form of a McD sandwich and a pack of cigarettes). No starvation mode here: I lost 30lbs in 6 weeks.

To the OP: I have many "reasons" for my weight. Hashimoto's disease, genetics (my family is all obese), my parents feeding me ramen and candy apples and pizza every day while not encouraging exercise. And of course: my own lifestyle choices; choosing to sleep 20 more minutes instead of jog, eating leftover Halloween candy instead of pawning it off on others, drinking that diet coke instead of more water. It's a big mixed bag for me. I hold a lot of resentment toward my parents for how they raised me: I was 180lbs and a women's size 18 by age 12. I was over 100lbs at age 7, and I haven't been below 200lbs since I was 13.

But as an adult, I just try my best, no matter who I was yesterday, I WILL be better every single new day, and if I mess up I own up to it.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    shredcamps wrote: »

Big Boned!!! bs..

My nutritionist said I was big boned!! No lie, she measured my wrist bones and said it's a thing and that I'm big boned!! But she did say it doesn't affect your weight as much as people want it to LOL
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    shredcamps wrote: »

Big Boned!!! bs..

My nutritionist said I was big boned!! No lie, she measured my wrist bones and said it's a thing and that I'm big boned!! But she did say it doesn't affect your weight as much as people want it to LOL

as i said. no fat skeletons. your Nutritionist is an idiot.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Call it an excuse if you want (technically I guess it is) but I was uneducated about HOW to keep the weight loss off.

I can diet like no ones business but once I lost the weight I thought all I had to do was eat less than my regular eating habit. HOW much less I had no clue, I missed that chapter in the books.

Therefore I gave up, for a while.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »

And a POV is all it is. And a flawed, biased one at that. It was not a "study", it was a survey, which was funded by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. It's nothing more than typical clickbait junk.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    How can a "body" want something (like, a preferred weight range) without a person controlling it?

You mean like to pee? Or the urge to breathe?

It's a result of evolution.

Pressure in the bladder or the sensation of air hunger isn't the "body wanting something" - which implies that our bodies have intentionality outside of our own as sentient beings. Which is a really odd duality - "you" can want something but your "body" can want something else (as if your body is somehow separate from you).

Okay I just gotta point out this is is a cop out. you are arguing language semantics. you know what they meant.

Why didnt they say what they meant, then?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    There is tremendous variation in human bone density, shape, and even connectivity at some points (the clavicle comes to mind) that affect overall body size fairly considerably. There are also variations in musculature and adiposity related to genetics.

People who deny this clearly have not studied anatomy with any degree of diligence.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    chel325 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    chel325 wrote: »
    GoKelsey wrote: »
    Actually, CICO doesn't work for everyone, mostly because not all calories are created equal. Per MFP, I restricted calories to 1300/day. According to MFP I should have been losing weight, but I was gaining fat in my midsection. It wasn't until I learned about a protein/fat/carb nutrition plan that I realized the CICO flaw. When you restrict calories drastically, your body may go into starvation mode and want to store fat. And since a lot of my calories at the time were just carbs (fruit, veggies, dairy, grains), there was a lot for my body to convert to fat and store. Once I increased my calorie consumption and got 40% of my calories from protein, I was able to drop the weight. I also started eating 5 smaller meals/day, which revved up my metabolism and allowed me to eat even more food without burning more calories.

As for your friend's viewpoint, it makes sense that if you continue the same eating and exercising (or sedentary) habits, your body will stay the same weight. To say that's where the body "wants to be" is a bit of a stretch. More like where that person is comfortable. And of course if you go through steps to lose weight and then go back to old habits, you'll go back to your old weight. That's just common sense.

So much fatlogic wrapped up into one block.

I can't even begin... I don't know where to start lol..

I know where to start.

CICO does work for all.
    Starvation mode doesn't exisit
    if you were gaining weight you were eating more than you thought
    timing of eating does not affect weight
    Muscle revs the metabolism

Yup, weight loss isn't about WHAT you eat rather HOW MUCH.

You can only eat twinkies but eat under your TDEE calorie amount and you will lose weight.

and acquire pre-diabetes. LOL
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    There is tremendous variation in human bone density, shape, and even connectivity at some points (the clavicle comes to mind) that affect overall body size fairly considerably. There are also variations in musculature and adiposity related to genetics.

People who deny this clearly have not studied anatomy with any degree of diligence.

I don't recall anyone being goofy enough to say that there was no genetic input. Which one of the two has a bigger impact over a lifetime would be the point.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    In eating disorder recovery therapists and dietitians usually use set point theory- patients are expected to gain weight until it balances out at a healthy place for them, which can be very different for different people.
    I always see people talking about how set point theory doesn't actually work how the theory says it should, and that people just gain weight due to the number of calories they eat- so I don't know why I should trust my therapist that gaining weight is okay now that I'm at a healthy BMI because I'm not at my set point/personal healthy weight yet- why shouldn't I just eat less and stay at a low healthy range BMI? If set point isn't real, gaining weight until I reach it seems pointless and it seems like I'll just be gaining weight forever.

Not sure if that really went anywhere, I'm just dubious about set point theory but am expected to put my trust in it- so I am in a strange situation at the moment.