Stroller for six year old????

amanda000002014
amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
That is one thing I need to do is my steps. While I my daughter was in school I was at least walking a mile a day trying to tire puppy out. I know if I don't she will eat everything up. I haven't been because my daughter hates it; she is six. Do you think she is to old for a stroller? I haven't used one since she has been able to walk. She is a healthy little girl and quite active, but It is not entertaining for her. I tried to make it fun by looking for things to jump and balance on which she likes ( I like it too, she brings the kid out of me). Just getting her motivated to go is the hard part.

Replies

• Fitamdshiit
    Fitamdshiit Posts: 31 Member
    Does she like to ride bikes? Or maybe those battery power cars? I'm not sure about a stroller for a six year old. My daughter is a year and a half and hates being in a stroller. So I'm always looking for fun alternatives.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    That is way too big for a stroller.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Try a bike or scooter and take the walk to a park, if possible. Or, take a drive to a park(if it is too far to walk) and then run around while she plays.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    she's too old for a stroller, it'll be good for her to walk as well...
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    That is one thing I need to do is my steps. While I my daughter was in school I was at least walking a mile a day trying to tire puppy out. I know if I don't she will eat everything up. I haven't been because my daughter hates it; she is six. Do you think she is to old for a stroller? I haven't used one since she has been able to walk. She is a healthy little girl and quite active, but It is not entertaining for her. I tried to make it fun by looking for things to jump and balance on which she likes ( I like it too, she brings the kid out of me). Just getting her motivated to go is the hard part.

Kids don't like to "just walk fast" for long distances with no "purpose" that they can see...yes use a stroller, there are even ones that can accommodate your pace - #whateverittakes

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Bike (with/without training wheels), scooter, skateboard, wagon?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    She is too big. And now is the time in her life when it's important for her to be active. If she doesn't like walking, why don't YOU try an activity she likes? I wouldn't want to randomly walk at a quick pace for no reason as a child either. You could even sign her up for a sport and walk the track during her practice or something.
  • amanda000002014
    You are right when it comes to responsibilities. I don't mind taking care of the puppy but she should learn as well. I don't want to make it out like my daughter is not responsible because I do have her help around the house it's just getting her motivate to walk with me.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I'm with the others--she's too big for a stroller, and that doesn't teach her healthy habits. I agree with the poster that said to bring her bike. You can make it fun--race her to certain points. She needs to move as much as you do, and it can be a fun mother-daughter thing.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I hear you. My almost 5 yr old hates walking. I got her a balance bike to practice riding a bike. We go on a paved trail near our house and I try to make it fun for her & bring the dog, too. We bring snacks and stop at particular spots and she kind of knows what to expect now. She can do 2 miles.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    SLLeask wrote: »
    I'm probably the worst parent ever because, you know what, life is boring sometimes, and children need to learn that. Also, it's an important lesson for children to learn how to care for pets, and walking them is one of those things, come rain or shine, boring or not. But then, I had my daughter, at 5 years old, with rubber gloves on and carrying a bucket up and down a field clearing poo at the donkey sanctuary I volunteer at. :p Now, at almost eight, she can carry a much bigger bucket... ;) The earlier they learn responsibility and that life is not all giggles, the better in my humble opinion!

You I like....bravo.
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    SamanthaLouiseMence Posts: 663 Member
    SLLeask wrote: »
    I'm probably the worst parent ever because, you know what, life is boring sometimes, and children need to learn that. Also, it's an important lesson for children to learn how to care for pets, and walking them is one of those things, come rain or shine, boring or not. But then, I had my daughter, at 5 years old, with rubber gloves on and carrying a bucket up and down a field clearing poo at the donkey sanctuary I volunteer at. :p Now, at almost eight, she can carry a much bigger bucket... ;) The earlier they learn responsibility and that life is not all giggles, the better in my humble opinion!

Best response ever… and all true, they need to learn at some point
  • amanda000002014
    I had a talk with her this morning after reading post. She wants to play soccer; I told her if she wants t play soccer you have to have strong legs so if you want to play you have to walk with me that is the deal. She agreed with crying but crying is okay as long as she does what is expected.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Scooter makes walks much more fun for my kid. Also, walking *somewhere* (to the park, the store, etc.) instead of just walking. Scavenger hunts (sticks/rocks/insects/people/animals/etc.)

Sometimes there is also an initial period of complaining while she gets used to a change in our routine, and then she will enjoy it, even if "complaining" beforehand continues to be part of the routine.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I had a talk with her this morning after reading post. She wants to play soccer; I told her if she wants t play soccer you have to have strong legs so if you want to play you have to walk with me that is the deal. She agreed with crying but crying is okay as long as she does what is expected.

she cried because she has to compromise and walk?.... ok its a good job I had boys as girls are such cry babies from what I can tell - my nieces certainly are. I would definately have the tough love approach and say, suck it up you're walking with me, end of!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    My son is 6, and I have this problem too. And he's scared of bikes so that's out, he has a scooter but won't go fast enough to even keep a steady walking pace. I usually either walk with him to the pond in our neighborhood and let him play while I walk/run around it (it's tiny with about 1/4 mile sidewalk all around it so I can keep him in sight at all times), or we walk to the park and I walk around the playground area a million times while he plays. I used the jogging stroller with him for years, it was my best friend, lmao, till he got too big and the bottom started falling out of it.