Stroller for six year old????

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    SLLeask wrote: »
    I'm probably the worst parent ever because, you know what, life is boring sometimes, and children need to learn that. Also, it's an important lesson for children to learn how to care for pets, and walking them is one of those things, come rain or shine, boring or not. But then, I had my daughter, at 5 years old, with rubber gloves on and carrying a bucket up and down a field clearing poo at the donkey sanctuary I volunteer at. :p Now, at almost eight, she can carry a much bigger bucket... ;) The earlier they learn responsibility and that life is not all giggles, the better in my humble opinion!

Well said, and no, you're not the worst parent. More could learn from your example. xo
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    My 6 year old granddaughter loves roller skating everywhere....that said, I wouldn't cave on the stroller idea....your daughter is too old for it, too big for it, and it won't teach her anything about taking care of ourselves.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    She's 6 - make her go.

Also see if she would like to ride her bike or scooter.

This ^^

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I agree, six is way too old for a stroller. We don't even use one with my 3 year old. He rides his big wheel or I will occasionally have my 5 year old pull the 3 year old in the wagon which is fun for both of them. He didn't even use a stroller when we went to Disney when he was 2. He's a trooper.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Walk to the local park or beach.
    Play tag at the local park or beach ... both of you running around.
    Throw the ball or frisbee.
    Play on the swing set or other playground equipment.
    Race each other up and down the beach or lawn.
    Walk home.

Do that a few times and then start going to the next park over some day ... further away.

Get her onto a bicycle ... at 6 she should be riding. I see lots of parents jogging while their young children ride along side them.

Start walking to run errands. Walk to the grocery store to pick up some things. Walk to school. Walk to church. If those things are really too far away, drive or take the bus closer and then walk from there.

Mix it up ... do different things.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    How about a school playground nearby or a park? Something with a jungle gym for you and swings for her?

You could set up a HIIT program for yourself (search for it in the archives)I've seen many ppl share how they use playgrounds and create their own workouts. She can enjoy so much at the playground and run around and do her thing... take a Frisbee and some grapes or a fun snack for both (if needed) and water to drink.

It's a thought. :smiley:
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Just walking can be boring for a kid, so perhaps think of new ways to keep her entertained. My 3 year old loves to play soccer at a local park with a full size soccer field. It's a great workout for both of us, and it's a lot more fun than just walking.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Try a bike or scooter and take the walk to a park, if possible. Or, take a drive to a park(if it is too far to walk) and then run around while she plays.

That' what I did when I got my first pedometer years ago - there is a park 1/4 mile down the road. I took the kids there and let them play on the playground, and I did my walking around the perimeter. If your daughter is by herself and cannot entertain herself why not suggest playing a game of kickball together or soccer or something? Or bring a friend for her.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    My son loved a Razor Scooter when he was that age. Small, easy to use and kept us at the same pace.

I don't know what kind of healthy habits you can teach a 6 year old by pushing them in a stroller...
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited June 2016
    I actually went to a lecture about giving children the 'gift of boredom', being bored as a kid is a good thing as it fosters a lot of great qualities (imagination, resourcefulness, etc.). Like the PP's
    I would also make her go and wouldn't use a stroller, barring a disability that is too old.

How about those light up or squeaky shoes? My older two (3 and 2) have both and think walking in them is hilarious. Not sure how well that would translate to a 6 year old but kids love novelty!
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Yup. Too old for a stroller vote here too. I kicked mine out at 3.... All of them walked from then on. Walk, scooter, bike. It's all good for her.
  • amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member

It's not a health and I don't like the idea of pushing my child in a stroller. When she first started walking she did not go in the grocery cart nor did I use a stroller at the park ect. I guess I needed to see that I was doing the right thing getting her to walk with me. I am trying to get healthy and I want that for her too. I want to be assured I am doing the right thing. Which from everyone's comments I can see that it's okay to have her walk with me even if she doesn't want to.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Surely you can turn this into some kind of game/contest for soccer training. She's not walking, she's training for soccer. Instead of saying, we have to go on our walk, can you say, let's do our soccer walk or soccer training. Have her run ahead of you to the next corner, etc, then do jumping jacks, kicks, etc until you catch up. Get creative mom!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Take your walks on somewhere other than the road. Your daughter can get in some soccer dribbling practice during this time.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Well, if she can walk but is bored or lazy then maybe you could motivate her with a sticker chart and a reward to earn if she fills the chart each week.
  • amanda000002014
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Take your walks on somewhere other than the road. Your daughter can get in some soccer dribbling practice during this time.

That is a good idea!!!!

• amanda000002014
    edited June 2016
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I actually went to a lecture about giving children the 'gift of boredom', being bored as a kid is a good thing as it fosters a lot of great qualities (imagination, resourcefulness, etc.). Like the PP's
    I would also make her go and wouldn't use a stroller, barring a disability that is too old.

How about those light up or squeaky shoes? My older two (3 and 2) have both and think walking in them is hilarious. Not sure how well that would translate to a 6 year old but kids love novelty!

My daughter has many toys she could play with but she prefers to play with things she makes. She will take paper, bottle caps or anything she can get her hands in and create her own toys. She likes to make up her own games and I have a drawer filled with art supplies she loves to play with. You are right boredom builds imagination. She is an active girl I will have to think of walking as an adventure. I could try to take her to different areas of out city where her and I both could explore.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    She's 6 - make her go.

Also see if she would like to ride her bike or scooter. And if the real problem is boredom, then I can't see how being pushed in a stroller could possibly be LESS boring for her.

This
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Alot of great replies OP. MFP moms are in the know!