Stroller for six year old????

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I wasn't given a choice when I was six, and I'm still exercising.
  • amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I wasn't given a choice when I was six, and I'm still exercising.
    My daughter is not getting a choice either. My daughter is not a lazy child just the opposite its focused exercise that I am looking at. No she is not adhd, she just needs to learn how to be bored and how to make the boring fun; that's where I come in and it's my job to do it. Thank you for your input.

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I understand, my older two aren't always crazy about walks. It's easy for people to say make them go but when you have a particularly stubborn child (my oldest is on the autism spectrum) it can be very frustrating to force them. I tried to start slow to get my kids used to walking. I wasn't going to start out on any huge hikes from day 1. Then we've slowly built up over time. I also motivate them with a goal so we walk to the library or stop by a park for ten minutes during the walk, or it's a super hot day lets walk downtown for ice cream.

I also give them a choice of walking or biking. My 7 year old chooses walking because he's not great on his bike. My 5 year old rides her bike. My 3 and 1 year olds ride in a wagon.

We've gotten to a point of them asking to go on walks. It did take considerable whining and frustration at times to get there but it was worth it. I do think they enjoy it now.
  • a_hounslow09
    a_hounslow09 Posts: 36 Member
    My 5 year old will walk, ride his bike, rollerblade, or ride his scooter... I go about 5 miles on my usual route.
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    How far is the park? At 6 she may be able to play at the playground while you walk around the park. (YKMV- your kid may vary.) Talk through the basics of how far you'll be, how to find you in an emergency, stranger danger, etc of course.

My older kid can outrun me, but rides ahead on his scooter because he gets bored. My younger kid rides his bike and then plays at the playground when he's bored.

• whavens2w2
    whavens2w2 Posts: 8 Member
    My health insurance sent me a bunch of pedometers and I have one to my 6 year old. He's had a blast checking it constantly to see how many steps he's taken and the distance he's walked.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'd get her to ride along side you on her bike. It would drive me nuts walking at a 6 year olds pace.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Bike ride to the park, few laps round the park, play on swings etc, ride back home
    That's what we did the other day
    Job done
  • amanda000002014
    edited June 2016
    Bike ride to the park, few laps round the park, play on swings etc, ride back home
    Job done
    Unfortunately we live in Ashland, Kentucky and their side walks are not safe to walk (they don't have enough side walks) on so I can't walk to the park and the park we have doesn't allow bikes. I miss Detroit just because of that. I miss home; if I didn't have any commitments I would move back there.
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Job done
    Unfortunately we live in Ashland, Kentucky and their side walks are not safe to walk (they don't have enough side walks) on so I can't walk to the park and the park we have doesn't allow bikes. I miss Detroit just because of that. I miss home; if I didn't have any commitments I would move back there.

My neighborhood was built in the 60's during the height of the car is king era. Most blocks have sidewalks, but many don't. If they're side streets then you are legally allowed to walk in the street on the left side (facing oncoming traffic so you can see when someone is coming). If she's riding her bike then she goes on the curb side and you walk next to her while she's learning not to zig zag around on streets (so fun! So dangerous!).

Your park doesn't allow bikes? Wth? One park near me doesn't allow tree climbing, and I thought that was over the top.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I'd start with making her walk. If you're running and going several miles then have her use a scooter. It will probably be easier to have her pace off you with a scooter than with a bike. That's how I got my oldest to go with me when she started at 5 and at 10 she's turned into quite the runner.
  • amanda000002014
    I'd start with making her walk. If you're running and going several miles then have her use a scooter. It will probably be easier to have her pace off you with a scooter than with a bike. That's how I got my oldest to go with me when she started at 5 and at 10 she's turned into quite the runner.
    She keeps a good pace at running when her and I walk around the park. I like to change environments to protect her and I from predators. Honestly I wish I could run like her, shoot, I wish I could run like the ones up in age. I like to walk fast though . I live in a neighborhood where there is only one side of the street with a side walk. She has been riding her big wheel up and down it while I walk the dog ( it's a pretty good hill). She is having fun going down and I am getting my exercise going up.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Does she like to ride bikes? Or maybe those battery power cars? I'm not sure about a stroller for a six year old. My daughter is a year and a half and hates being in a stroller. So I'm always looking for fun alternatives.

The battery powered cars should be outlawed.imo. Great way to get a kid on a lifetime of inactivity.

Let her bIke.
  • amanda000002014
    RoteBook wrote: »
    Job done

My neighborhood was built in the 60's during the height of the car is king era. Most blocks have sidewalks, but many don't. If they're side streets then you are legally allowed to walk in the street on the left side (facing oncoming traffic so you can see when someone is coming). If she's riding her bike then she goes on the curb side and you walk next to her while she's learning not to zig zag around on streets (so fun! So dangerous!).

Your park doesn't allow bikes? Wth? One park near me doesn't allow tree climbing, and I thought that was over the top.
    Yeah the only decent park I can walk my dog around(she is not allow in) doesn't allow bikes. They do have the streets marked where people can ride there bikes but people still drive on them. The way the roads are curvy and people are either high on pills, texting, or both its scary to walk on the roads. I am just starting off getting exercise into my goals and I hate being in the house. Ever since I started exercising (before my daughter got out of school) I have found that I am getting a lot more energy. I didn't even notice until my roommate said that I seemed to be more active lately. If I can keep this up I know my depression/anxiety will go away. I don't like medicine and this is working. This has even helped me with my moody behavior.

• amanda000002014
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Does she like to ride bikes? Or maybe those battery power cars? I'm not sure about a stroller for a six year old. My daughter is a year and a half and hates being in a stroller. So I'm always looking for fun alternatives.

The battery powered cars should be outlawed.imo. Great way to get a kid on a lifetime of inactivity.

Let her bIke.
    She loves to ride bikes although she is still intimidated on the two wheel ( she has training wheels). I have a side walk across the street that is all hill. I have decided to just walk up and down the hill while she rides her big wheel. I wish I could get one she looks like she is having a lot of fun.

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    I don't drive so all my kids have ever known is walking. There was a stage where my now 8 year old needed games etc to motivate him, so we played pirate ships and galleons (I was the galleon and he was the pirate ship chasing me) or aeroplanes. Mainly though it's just a companionable time when we can chat together.

Is it just leaving her toys that bothers her?
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    I bike ride with my daughter who is also 6. There are paved paths at a local golf course and a small playground. When she needs a break I do dips, or jumping jacks or ride around the playground while she swings. By 3 she was out of the jogging stroller
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    edited June 2016
    fbmandy55 wrote: »

I don't know what kind of healthy habits you can teach a 6 year old by pushing them in a stroller...

I think I get the OP concern. 6 is a fussy age, still too slow for an adult who wants to push through a good workout. Fickle enough to get bored and not want to do the walk daily. I signed my kids up for summer basketball at the high school and while they do that I hit the school track. Boring but my steps are in. My youngest Sat in the shade coloring. At swimming lessons I walked the parking lot. The life guards were with my kids so I took the time for me. Look into parks and rec programs or dump your kids on a friend or your partner and swap to evening workouts or early mornings. Get an indoor machine and beat the heat until school is back in session. Our gym even did a supervised play room for $1 per kid per visit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I don't know if these are available in the US, but I often see kids bikes with a long handle thing coming out the back, which the parent holds on to and is able to push and steer the bike while they are jogging/walking, the kid still needs to peddle, but the the parent has some control too.

I'm so (not) good at trying to explain these things :lol:
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    You put a six year old in a stroller and you'll turn her into a serial killer.