Do some fruits "count" as vegetables when it comes to diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So this whole time I was thinking that squash, bell peppers, and green beans all fall under the "vegetable" category. Unsurprisingly I was wrong! But I was wondering if this is still true for our diets? To my understanding it's not good for you to eat more than two servings of fruit per day. I realized I eat a ton though since what I thought were veggies actually aren't. But do greens like green beans and peas still have the same benefits as vegetables? I'm just all turned around now about what a balanced diet looks like. :open_mouth:

If by diet you mean for weight loss then what matters is calories not whether it is a fruit or vegetable.

For nutrition just eat as much fruit and vegetables as you can manage and don't worry about their botanical classification. What I read suggested is eating 4 servings of fruits and 4-5 servings of vegetables a day not 2 servings. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Suggested-Servings-from-Each-Food-Group_UCM_318186_Article.jsp#mainContent

• tshook12397
    tshook12397 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn't expect to get so many responses! A few of you answered my question, I now know that while they are still fruit, they can fall under the vegetable category when it comes to nutritional value. I wasn't asking for weight-loss but instead asking for nutrition purposes (I'm trying to eat better and wrap my head around the idea of a healthy diet, calories are unimportant since I could eat nothing but bread all day, stay under calories, and still feel like crap) I heard you should only eat 2 servings of fruit a day because they can be high in sugar. Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it! (: I will go back to eating the "vegetables" I like!
  • tshook12397
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Your body doesn't care about the botanical classifications of a food. It only cares about what is in the food you eat.

Recommendations to eat a certain number of fruits and vegetables, etc. may be somewhat helpful for those who don't understand nutrition to help them get some variety of nutrients but it's not at all scientific.

If you you really want to ensure that you're getting the nutrition you need, track your food intake and make sure you get enough protein, fat (mostly unsaturated), fiber, vitamins and minerals. As long as you get enough of those things, you're fine and your body doesn't care whether it comes from fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy, supplements or whatever.

And of course the part that matters for weight loss is eating fewer calories than you burn.

Thank you! I just wanted to know for nutritional purposes! (:
  • tshook12397
    Options
    You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be. Just don't eat too many calories - no matter what those calories are made of and you'll lose weight.

I'm not trying to lose weight at the moment. Just trying to eat healthy to feel better and help with my acid reflex but I figured I might as well learn a bit about what/how much I should be eating (:
  • tshook12397
    Options
    Most of the fruits we think of as vegetables are in the veggie category because they have nutrition profiles closer to the vegetable group than the fruit group. The fact that they are botanically fruits isn't that important in terms of nutrition.

You are right to classify those foods as vegetables for diet purposes.

Thank you so much! This answered my question (: That's what I was thinking but just wanted to be sure!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I knew that peppers were technically in the fruit family but green beans? That's a new one on me.
    There's a quote I like: "Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

"Charisma is being able to sell a tomato-based fruit salad."

"...guys, I found the bard!"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I knew that peppers were technically in the fruit family but green beans? That's a new one on me.
    There's a quote I like: "Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

Actually, a tomato and watermelon salad with feta is AMAZING and perhaps the only way I like watermelon.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Actually, a tomato and watermelon salad with feta is AMAZING and perhaps the only way I like watermelon.

I once tried a recipe similar, also had onion in it as well as the above, IIRC. It was, surprisingly, better than i thought. If i can find it again I'll post it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Fruit has more (natural) sugars therefore it is better to get your nutrition from vegetables than fruit. Fruit are very bad for your teeth.

Why is fruit bad for your teeth?
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options

A tomato-based fruit salad? Do you mean salsa?