Getting teased for training

Options

Replies

• Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Who cares what they say. You are doing this for yourself.

This.

Other wise say "Ok nut up or shut today after work do it." then really loudly you make sure the whole office hears you talking about how hes so fast and epic he'll run a 5km right after work.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I thought it would give me motivation and support to "go public" with my upcoming 5k in September. I'm doing the couch to 5k running program and I'm on week 4. I'm starting to notice that I'm getting faster and have more endurance, so I'm getting excited for what my race time will be. There's a co-worker who consistently teases me for training for a 5k. I've told him time and time again that I haven't run regularly in over a year and don't want to hurt myself. He just scoffs and tells me he could run a 5k in under 30 minutes with no preparation. It's very discouraging. Have any of you been in a similar situation? If so, any pointers on what I can say/do in this situation? Any advice on what I can do to stay motivated despite the snarky comments from this negative nancy?

You say "Good for you."

I don't see how this could discourage you at all. You must have known that some people run better than you and some people run worse than you before you started.

Clearly this guy is acting like a douche but I wouldn't worry about it. There are going to be douche bags at the 5k with you when you get there. I bet there are douche bags living on the same block as you right now. Their existence cannot be a reason for a loss in motivation or you will never make it.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Tell him you rolled your eyes so hard that you saw your brain...
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Your fat "friends" do not want you thin

Your drunk "friends" do not want you sober

Your slow "friends" do not want you fast

Cutting people down is way easier than bringing yourself up. This is what's going on, nothing more, nothing less. Two options:

1. Use it for fuel

2. Ignore and proceed

Wise, true, and love this! Sadly, it can be very difficult even in relationships with people you've known a very long time (and are very close to-- like a spouse) when you try to better yourself. People see you as leaving them behind and it makes them uncomfortable because you are saying to them that you are rejecting whatever behavior it is that you've been happy doing with them (being lazy, not eating right, getting drunk, "partying," whatever). Sometimes relationships don't make it through the changes.

But this guy is just a coworker, so who cares, right?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Choose your battles. Ignore him and stop talking about your running and dietary activities. Most of the time you end up either in a competition over it or you simply get negative comments.

The only people I discuss my fitness activities with are those that are similarly situated. I even avoid discussing lifting with some of my running friends.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Sure.

I've been training for years and awhile back, I was finally able to lift the bottles we use on our office coolers. I thought that was a great NSV, until I realized that all my coworkers could do that, and none of them exercise.

Just remember that we're all different and that you are better than you used to be. And that's all that matters.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Just tell him he's amazing.
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I thought it would give me motivation and support to "go public" with my upcoming 5k in September. I'm doing the couch to 5k running program and I'm on week 4. I'm starting to notice that I'm getting faster and have more endurance, so I'm getting excited for what my race time will be. There's a co-worker who consistently teases me for training for a 5k. I've told him time and time again that I haven't run regularly in over a year and don't want to hurt myself. He just scoffs and tells me he could run a 5k in under 30 minutes with no preparation. It's very discouraging. Have any of you been in a similar situation? If so, any pointers on what I can say/do in this situation? Any advice on what I can do to stay motivated despite the snarky comments from this negative nancy?

Yes some people thrive on pissing others off!!!! First do not let him know he is getting to you... Second lure him into this conversation around other and dumbass him and front everyone his self esteem will drop and you will not have to worry about it. Most of them (( Whatever you can do I can do better types )) Are full of (( )) embarass him in a crowd is all you have to do.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I only talk about running with other runners. The normies don't really get it... carry on.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    tell him to eff off!
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Tell him to put up or shut up.....

He's obviously a loser who can only feel better trying to put others down. Offer to pay the entry fee for him and watch him weasel his way out......

Exactly. I had the exact same situation with a coworker a few years ago. She was on me about starting to run and so I finally got her to sign up for the race, she did well (and she trained too) but still was on me about being slow and fat. She was a treat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So challenge him to prove it. Have him stop running between now and then and see how he does.

I'm not very fast and I don't do any "official" training, but when I don't have two broken arms, I do a lot of cardio -- running, elliptical, swimming and rollerblading (thus two broken arms), so essentially, I'm always training. It's necessary, for sure.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I find the easiest way to tell someone to take it elsewhere only involves a one word answer.

Without looking up from your computer, just say "cool". You have to extend the oo sound and have just the slighest hint of sarcasm in your voice. At no point do you look up from your monitor.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Tell him to put up or shut up.....

He's obviously a loser who can only feel better trying to put others down. Offer to pay the entry fee for him and watch him weasel his way out......

I liked this advice. I was going to say something similar to ask him to do the run with you if he's that confident...
  • deeprender
    Options
    Bring him a sign up form for your race and tell him that you are targeting sub 30 and you were hoping he could be your pacer.

I agree that this guy isn't worth your time but at some point enough is enough.

Love this reply, lol!
  • StaceyP211
    StaceyP211 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it is true that he can do the 5K in under 30 minutes (which would mean that he can run a mile in a bout 8 minutes), he needs stop using you to boost his ego. Congratulations on your decision. I did my first 5k and it took me 48 minutes to do it! You know what the awesome part is? I FINISHED!!!!

Don't allow him to discourage you or steal your thunder. When you are ready to run yours, challenge him to run it with you... I'll bet that he won't show! :laugh:
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    He just scoffs and tells me he could run a 5k in under 30 minutes with no preparation.

It's not nice, but if he is driving you bananas, you can just look at him and say in a deadpan way: 'Were we talking about you? Why do you always make this about you?' :laugh:

marsha. marsha. marsha.

if that doesn't work, step two would be: 'Do you really need to put me down to make you feel good about yourself? Because I'm starting to be embarrassed for you...'

I think he won't have a reply to that one. I do admit that it's mean. :embarassed:
  • ntjelmeland
    ntjelmeland Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    He's agreed to run in the race. Hopefully he plans on bringing plenty of ice for his injuries post race... If he finishes.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Bring him a sign up form for your race and tell him that you are targeting sub 30 and you were hoping he could be your pacer.

I agree that this guy isn't worth your time but at some point enough is enough.

Yes to this!!! Of course if he does take you up you've got yourself a new running partner......
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    People often mock what they don't understand. In my experience, most people are ****ing lazy *kitten* which is why they're also fat *kitten*...so they don't understand remotely the concept of getting in shape and getting healthy. This is from one of my friend's profiles and is absolutely truth...

Is It Really Worth It?

It will require commitment and dedication.

It will require you to say “no” sometimes.

It will require sacrifice.

It won’t be quick.

It won’t be easy.

It won’t be fun all of the time

Your friends will laugh at you for doing things differently.

Your coworkers will gawk and poke fun at your new eating habits.

Your loved ones will call you crazy and ask you to “be normal.”

You will have to change some habits.

You will want to give up.

You will want to go back to bed.

You will want to say “eh, good enough.”

And you will ask yourself: “is it really worth it?”

You’re damn right it is.

You will feel great when you set a new record for push ups.

You will let out a rebel yell when doing your first pull up.

You will feel awesome running faster this week than last week.

You will be amazed at how far you’ve come when looking at old pictures.

You will feel good when people ask “have you been working out?”

You will smile when your kids say “I want to be strong like you!”

You will be surprised when people come to you for fitness advice.

You will feel pride when you look at yourself in the mirror.

You will go to sleep knowing that you’re a better person today than you were yesterday.

It is worth it.