Healty diet really screws up my digestive system (not in a good way)

Options
2»

Replies

• lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just to clarify, how long ago were you eating all these green veggies? Going back in your food diary I only saw 1-2 servings of greens on average, but maybe I didn't go back far enough?
    How much fiber do you normally intake, and how much were you eating when it was causing you issues? Too much fiber can plug people up too. You don't need a ton if you are only eating 1200 calories, versus say 2000.

Started the "diet" (calorie counting) about 3 weeks ago today; last week was not great (system already feeling bad); typically would eat couple veggie kabobs with dinner, bag of salad or spinach with lunch, box of snap snow peas, some carrots, container of pre-cut celery, etc. Basically low cal stuff to "fill me up" b/c of low calorie goal (12-1400 per day).

"Normal" diet would include a couple servings of fiber one for breakfast and high fiber bread sandwich, high fiber pasta, etc.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I doubt it did. Looks like just another troll post.

Actually I have a GI disease (Crohn's) and am low fibre, low residue, no raw veggies and fruit, a few cooked, mo seeds, nuts, legumes, no red meat, no spices, etc and eating any of that really bothers my GI system ( diarrhea not constipation though). My body digests chips way easier than veggies.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options

? based on what?

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Most fibrous veggies actually have more fiber than most grain products (even whole grain products) per serving. If you suddenly increase your fiber intake (by switching from lots of grains to lots of veggies), your digestive system is likely to protest (sluggishness, gas, etc). Sounds like you are drinking enough water. I second the suggestion to make sure you get adequate fat. Exercise can also help keep things moving. Beyond that, it may take a few weeks to get used to the changes.

I eat low carb, and get my fiber from veggies, seeds, and nuts, and the first couple weeks were a bit sluggish, but once my digestive system got accustomed to my new way of eating, I've never been more "regular". No Metamucil necessary.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm 23? days in and I still am not regular yet. Raw vegetables really hurts my stomach- cramps, nausea, pain and then loose bowels. The first few weeks I didn't go but every few days. It slightly gets better with time.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Actually I have a GI disease (Crohn's) and am low fibre, low residue, no raw veggies and fruit, a few cooked, no seeds, nuts, legumes, no red meat, no spices, etc and eating any of that really bothers my GI system ( diarrhea not constipation though). My body digests chips way easier than veggies.

Why has this been flagged as abuse?