Boiled eggs

Options
Terrie724
Terrie724 Posts: 18 Member
Ok so how do you heat up hard boiled eggs in the microwave??? I made two boiled eggs yesterday to egg for breakfast today. I heated them up in the microwave and when I cut them open...BOOOOM.....egg went flying everywhere. NOW after you stop laughing what the hell did I do wrong.

Replies

• mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You're best bet isn't to microwave eggs.......if you want to have a hard-boiled egg...better to put in a pan with water, boil on a stove for 5-7 minutes. Great source of protein and fills you up.

Yeah, don't boil eggs in the microwave. The way the microwave works is that is pulls the water from the food you are wanting to heat up, causing the food to heat, yet dry out. If there's a liquid contained with something (like an egg), it will ooze, squirt or bust on you.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You can rewarm them in boiling water, or in a hot glass of water. Generally takes about 5 minutes.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your best bet is to leave the shells on, heat a bowl of water in the microwave and then let the eggs sit in the hot water until warm.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Eat them cold IMO, I do it all the time I have 8-12 eggs a day (normally all whites but 1)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen to me! What I do now is to boil some water in my tea kettle, peel the egg and place it into a cup, then pour the boiling water over it. Wait three minutes or so and you're good. :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I only eat them cold too. You could just make them fresh (not always convenient, I know) or warm them in hot water. You could also cut them up before microwaving, but I think they'd turn into rubber.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I microwave them, every day, successfully. Unfortunately, every microwave varies in power. Three minutes at the lowest setting does it for me.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I use an egg slicer to slice them, then put them in the microwave for about 10 seconds if we want to eat them warm. Otherwise, we just have them cold.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    I overcooked some boiled eggs last night. I think I might sacrifice one for this "experiment," since I've never actually seen it happen. The sign on the microwave at work that says "DO NOT HEAT BOILED EGGS IN THE MICROWAVE" in 4 different languages (English, Spanish, Chinese, and Haitian French Creole) is such a tease.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that people ate hard boiled eggs warm. I've only ever known them to be eaten cold.

This. I have never heard of warming them! Is this really a thing that people re-heat them? Learn something new every day!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that people ate hard boiled eggs warm. I've only ever known them to be eaten cold.

This. I have never heard of warming them! Is this really a thing that people re-heat them? Learn something new every day!

I only reheat if I'm putting it in a sandwich. Because otherwise the cheese won't melt, and unmelted cheese makes me sad.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat them cold too. I like warm soft boiled eggs but hard boiled must be cold for me.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I never eat them warm either.
    Eggs cooked in the microwave (I only do poached) need to have the yolk pierced before cooking as they explode.
    If you want it warmed up, I would suggest putting it in warm water for a few minutes.
    Yeah, it makes a real mess in your microwave.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I prefer mine warm too. I peel & keep boiled eggs in fridge. When I want one, I wrap it in a papertowel & 10 SECONDS in microwave warms it up enough for me.

I've never had any explode btw. OP, did you peel the shells first?
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. Three years ago, I nuked a hardboiled egg. ...and while casually talking to my husband in the kitchen at 5:30am not fully coherent, I bit into it.

It exploded causing 1st and 2nd degree burns in and around my mouth. Painful. Gross. Ugly. Horrifying.

The windowlicker still makes fun of me for that. He had his back turned when he heard this huge POP and turned around to me standing there in absolute shock.

Them f*ckers stay in the fridge and cold now. :D
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    how the heck long are you guys microwaving these for???

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited June 2016
    Options
    how the heck long are you guys microwaving these for???

Doesn't take long. The gas bubbles in the egg expand fairly quickly, and the water in the egg produces additional gas as it's heated which also expands.

ETA: 47 seconds, with the shell off. For science!

ue249eaqw7ok.jpg

And that was until it actually did explode. Stop it short and it's basically a bomb with a pressure switch, as @devilwhiterose found out.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    Cut it before you heat it?
    Heat it on a stove instead of microwave?
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity why do you want to eat a hard-boiled egg warm? I eat them cold cut in half with a little bit of salt.

By the way, for the perfect hard-boiled egg, put eggs in a pot and cover with cold water, bring to a boil, put a cover on and shut the heat off. Leave it for 17 minutes.