Stop lifting heavy to slim down/be less bulky?

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
I really want to lose weight and slim down. I kind of have a build like a football linemen Hiwever my football days are long gone! I have very broad shoulders, big chest, big arms- just kind of massive.

I do lift heavy but want to trim down and lose fat. Should I stop doing heavy weights and lifting that I did in high school football (bench press, shoulder press, etc)

I'm thinking of trying to use my own body weight for strength training to slim down (air squats, dips, sit ups, push ups) along with cardio (mainly walking/jogging and biking)

Any thoughts?

Replies

• jasonsunlee
    jasonsunlee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    mhlew wrote: »
    I really want to lose weight and slim down. I kind of have a build like a football linemen Hiwever my football days are long gone! I have very broad shoulders, big chest, big arms- just kind of massive.

I do lift heavy but want to trim down and lose fat. Should I stop doing heavy weights and lifting that I did in high school football (bench press, shoulder press, etc)

I'm thinking of trying to use my own body weight for strength training to slim down (air squats, dips, sit ups, push ups) along with cardio (mainly walking/jogging and biking)

Any thoughts?

If you're thinking of slimming down you need to consider the fact that you will most likely need to cut down caloric intake while exercising. The larger the deficit the more quickly you will lose weight. Keep your protein intake lower than normal. Tyour body will likely burn thru any fat AND muscle. This will help you with your goal of slimming down.

I wouldn'r nexessarily cut down on heavy lifting as various compound exercises like deadlifts, squats, and military presses at hwavier weoghts help fuel testosterone and lean muscle mass growth. Keep in mind you are slimming down... not withering away.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Sorry cutting protein while in a deficit and lifting is just wrong.

OP continue lifting but don't expect to increase your weights as fast as if you were bulking or even in maintenance.

A calorie deficit is what will slim you down.
    If you haven't already put your stats into MFP and eat the amount of calories advised. Use a food scale for solids and measuring cups and spoons for liquids for greater accuracy.
    Because MFP does not include exercise in your initial calorie allotment log your exercise and eat back 50-75% ( MFP overestimates) adjust up or down so after a months of logging you are losing at the expected rate. Your protein should be about .8-1g per lbs goal body weight.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting, just eat less
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Being broad is probably more about bone structure than anything else, so there isn't much you can do there. Big arms or barrel chested... that you can work on. A calorie deficit is going to be the most impactful and that should be your primary goal.

As for whether or not you should keep lifting... here's my thoughts. It's REALLY hard/slow to build muscle, so I wouldn't' want to give up any muscle unless I knew for sure that was the only way to reach my goal. As such, if I were in your shoes, I'd keep lifting and run a fairly significant calorie deficit. If done consistently, over time it should yield meaningful weight loss with relatively little muscle loss.

That should help give you some shape and definition... i.e. you'd go from being a big guy to being a strong guy, or something along those lines. Hopefully that makes sense.

Once you get to that point, if you are still unhappy with how you look/feel, then change up your workouts.

Just my $.02.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Quitting lifting would be the LAST thing I'd do in your situation.