Sets x reps

Options
I'm 21 I weigh 187 I try to work out Atleast 3 times a week one day being 30 pounds 4 sets 21 reps for 4 rounds and next 35 pounds 5 sea 15 reps and the last day back day one is that a good base to build strength?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to build strength, try a progressive weight lifting program such as Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

Stronglifts 5x5 has you doing five exercises, for five sets of five reps each. As soon as you complete 5x5 at one weight, it progresses you to the next weight. The program is scheduled for 3x a week, which would fit into your schedule.

If you are able to do 20 reps with 30 pounds, that is building muscular endurance more than strength.
  • krispyr
    krispyr Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Strong lifts 5X5 is 5 exercises in total but you actually only do 3 exercises per workout. Best thing to do is get the strong lifts app to help you thru your workouts, but first go on his website and read up on the program and how to safely do each exercise. Strong lifts can get boring but it works.

This program will seem easy at first, but don't take this for granted. Use the time to make sure your form is good. Before you know it you'll be pushing some real weight and only 3 exercises per workout won't seem so easy anymore.
  • sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ...30 pounds on what?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Arucard5 wrote: »
    I'm 21 I weigh 187 I try to work out Atleast 3 times a week one day being 30 pounds 4 sets 21 reps for 4 rounds and next 35 pounds 5 sea 15 reps and the last day back day one is that a good base to build strength?

Wut
  • Arucard5
    Arucard5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    sappermuff wrote: »
    ...30 pounds on what?

Dumbbells
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think maybe he was referring to muscle group.

For example, I'm rehabbing and injury that led to terrible upper body atrophy, so when doing flat cable flyes (or in my case dumbbells) I currently max out at 4 lbs. (Stop laughing)

But on Triceps Push downs, I'm at 30 lbs.

So 30 lbs on which muscle group?
  • sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ...30 pounds on what?

Dumbbells

Dumbells suck for building base strength. Get a barbell. Squat, deadlift and press with said barbell. Then eat. A lot. Repeat as necessary.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    A quick Browse through the discussions and I thought it said SEX x REPS. :blush:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ...30 pounds on what?

Dumbbells

Dumbells suck for building base strength. Get a barbell. Squat, deadlift and press with said barbell. Then eat. A lot. Repeat as necessary.

I would disagree. You can build plenty of strength with dumbbells.

OP, follow a structured program like the ones found here. You can do German Body Comp, which is a 3day dumbbell routine.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ...30 pounds on what?

Dumbbells

You need better/heavier/more DBs, then.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ...30 pounds on what?

Dumbbells

I would argue they are the least effective. I'd say Barbell, Body weight progression- DB.
    It's not impossible. But it's just the least effective way to do it- of the 3 main options.

It's still miles above doing nothing at all.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    30lbs but what exercises?

for strength go for structured progression .. if you want to stick with dumbbells find a decent progressive programme that incorporates compound movements