Potassium

Options
I have logged in every day for over two months, and have not hit my daily goal for potassium even once. And advice/ideas about how to get more potassium in my diet?

Replies

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,885 Member
    Options
    Coconut water, tomatoes/tomato paste are really good! Bananas, and the odd avocado.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    You might be getting more than you think.
    Look at a can of beans. They are loaded with potassium. Yet, on the database potassium is not listed.
    Why? Because it is not listed on the can and users have no way to input this information.
    Same with many other foods, including chicken.

If it still concerns you, I like to get a 1 to 1 ratio of potassium vs. sodium.
    Ex: 2,000 mg sodium, at least 2,000 mg potassium.
    You will have to research all foods to see how much potassium they have.
    I consider magnesium much, much more important.
    Not sure why potassium is listed on the charts.
    Low sodium v-8 has a lot of potassium.
  • jvanessa89
    jvanessa89 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, bananas, avocados, squash, beets, milk and yogurt are some.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Entries in the data base are missing potassium --- forget about trying to track it.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had the same dilemma. Went to the health food store and checked out the supplements. They were sadly lacking and decided to not worry about it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,245 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Entries in the data base are missing potassium --- forget about trying to track it.

This. Spinach is high in potassium, but most entries and more nutritional information on say bags of spinach will not include it because it is not required. This database is useless for tracking anything but those things required on nutritional information labels. Potassium is not required so the numbers here do not reflect reality so unless your diet is really bad, you are very likely getting and exceeding your potassium needs.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    rodnbon538 wrote: »
    I have logged in every day for over two months, and have not hit my daily goal for potassium even once. And advice/ideas about how to get more potassium in my diet?

There are many many many things you log where it doesn't chart the potassium value. That may be why.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    You may have to track it manually for awhile to see what you are actually getting. Search here to find your foods and track your potassium: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Coconut water.