You know you're a Geek when.......

Options

Replies

• difyance
    difyance Posts: 18
    Options
    For those who long for the days of text-based games...

I'm just gonna leave this here....

<.<

http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    You have a rebel alliance tattoo and a princess Leia dress. Also a signed photo from Dave Prowse :)
  • ChuckNourish
    Options
    Also ladies, hate to burst your bubble but....

YR1yRvC.jpg
  • ChuckNourish
    Options
    You know you're a nerd when you realize you spend more time playing Pokemon (White) on your 3DS at the cabin then you are drinking at the bar. Or use Whedonite terminology in every day life. Or judge people who watch dubbed vs. subbed anime. Or judge people who judge comic-book based movies but have never read the comics.

Don't you dare take the name of Pokemon in vain, you heathen!!!
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Also are counting the days till the Dr Who 50th anniversary special and the Christmas episode, as well are cheesed off because you have been planning a TARDIS tattoo for ages but saving up is taking WAY too long!
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    when you can name three Klingons off the top of your head who were not returning main characters in any of the Star Trek Franchise. i.e. Warf, Alexander, and Kahn do not count as they returned time after time

Feklar - Klingon Devil
    Kaliss - high and exhaulted Klingon Warrior
    Gowron - Took over Klingon High Council
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    <
    Has been to every California E3 in the past 10 years.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    You started programming BASIC as a kid on a TRS80.
    Remember when Haynes Modems ruled.
    Remember the OSUNY days of the F80 and CDC that was ROACHED.
    Can identify with the green text on a black screen loaded from floppy that might start, "You're in a room. There is a small fire in the north corner. You hear talking...."
    That would be a *Hayes* modem. I owned 300, 1200, 2400, and 14400 baud versions myself. Apple IIe.

"Put the fish in my ear"

!@#%(*^&amp;*(&(()*&)(&*_)(+
    NO CARRIER

I used to know command line strings....attention, dial, echo, loudness, etc. Then later Robotics modems with error correction, conect rates, etc.
    Long time ago though.

Had a bunch of Apples and a nice Texas Instruments TI-99 too.
    Sorry, but there was nothing nice about the TI-99-ABCD-EIEI.0 #boom
    I'm hanging up now... ECHO ATH > COM2
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't get how a single persons personal definition of geek doesn't match watch everyone else thinks so in their perception a person is not a geek if it doesn't fit into the definitive category.

Geeks are not just gamers, they are people that like technology, science, sci-fi, unusual intellectual pursuits or those that speak in mannerisms that are more of a intellectual or scientific nature.

Now how would you define nerds? Would the descriptor both work for nerds and geeks considering both natures are so similar?

BAH, just let people be what they are and describe themselves as they will, no point in telling them they are not who they think they are. It would be a losing battle.

but... someone was WRONG on the INTERNET!!
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options

YR1yRvC.jpg

This is me back in the day on Saints row and GTA4, My ex said I scared the hell out of him as off xbox live I'm quiet and sweet :P
  • difyance
    difyance Posts: 18
    Options

YR1yRvC.jpg

If I could +1 this I would +1 this so hard.
    ^_^
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Play testing the new D&D system while camping in the rain. : )

386583b0-4c01-4720-9298-d14544256957_zpsfa2f91c0.jpg
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Look noobs:

GEEK =/= GAMER

A geek is a someone way into science and tech. Anybody can be a gamer.

You take the distinctions between "geek", "nerd", "gamer", "techie", and "fanboy/girl" REALLY SERIOUSLY.

Yes. Of course I do. It's all about semantics.

Unfortunately both gaming and being a geek has gone mainstream so it's hard to diffrentiate between a real geek and someone who claims to be. But most hardcore gamers these days don't know what it was like to be a gamer before being a geek was mainstreem.

Oh you played WoW? LoL; ever had to do a corpse run to pre-kunark lower guk?

Or were a constant victim of "Corp Por". Kudos to anyone that remembers THAT reference.
  • cyapounds
    cyapounds Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    <
    When you know what this is.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

YR1yRvC.jpg

Oh nooooooo! I'm in ur entertainment systems, wearing nail polish! I might menstruate on your controller! I'm wearing pretty clothes and listening to Lady Gaga and talking about makeup and feelings! Look out, I'll use my perfume beam and giggle through the headset at you!

We're here, mother*#$er, and we don't give even a quarter of a s&%* what you think of us. Now are you going to QQ or pewpew?
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It's all about semantics. It's what people don't get. You don't go into a League of Legends match and start calling people NERDS.
    WTF is this horsesh%t? Semantics, people.

Or you don't go into LoL and start calling people anything at all, since the community there already has enough issues as it is.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    when you are disassembling your laptop when you are bored.
    Uh, a month or two ago I successfully repaired a laptop while walking on a treadmill at 3.0mph @ 10%. I built a nice treadmill desk and 'deskmill' several times a week while using a laptop. He's a hint, wearing cotton (versus nylon, polyester, etc.) really helps cut down on ESD. #LearnedTheHardWay
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Look noobs:

GEEK =/= GAMER

A geek is a someone way into science and tech. Anybody can be a gamer.

You take the distinctions between "geek", "nerd", "gamer", "techie", and "fanboy/girl" REALLY SERIOUSLY.

Yes. Of course I do. It's all about semantics.

Unfortunately both gaming and being a geek has gone mainstream so it's hard to diffrentiate between a real geek and someone who claims to be. But most hardcore gamers these days don't know what it was like to be a gamer before being a geek was mainstreem.

Oh you played WoW? LoL; ever had to do a corpse run to pre-kunark lower guk?

Or were a constant victim of "Corp Por". Kudos to anyone that remembers THAT reference.

i spent three weeks having my brain stirred by Myst. bought the trillogy hoping for insight. it just messed w/ my head more.
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Also are counting the days till the Dr Who 50th anniversary special and the Christmas episode, as well are cheesed off because you have been planning a TARDIS tattoo for ages but saving up is taking WAY too long!

^^ This,

Or you have lost count on the times you have re-watching your favorite episodes.
    Also getting into arguments over your friends over your favorite Doctor as well.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I have an entire room for PC gaming, have a collection of DVD's for Mystery Science Theater 3000 (cos I actually like to go back and watch the bad movies if on Netflix w/out commentary) and science fiction movies beginning of course with Alien, took off a day or two to have a long weekend for Star Craft 2 -Heart of the Swarm (campaign), and Portal 2. Took calculus for fun in college....got a Political Science degree.