Any Guys doing Strong Curves?

Options
Hi, my daughter and I have been doing Strong Lifts 5x5 together for about a month and half and have greatly enjoyed the program thus far. We were wondering what program to try after Strong Lifts has run its course (could be many months from now, as we are still making good gains). The program Strong Curves caught her eye and I was wondering if that would be a decent choice when we are finally ready to switch. Any downside to working this program as a guy? We we will be working out together as always.

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    3lqH5wB_zps1ipiv8ud.gif

Seems like the workouts are pretty glute-focused. No?

https://youtu.be/Sxo9wGA9qYg
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but here's the gist of the program. You have three workouts. One of them is done twice a week for a total of 4 lifting days. The exercises change every 4 weeks during the 12 week program. Each session has one exercise of each of the following categories: glute focused, upper body pull, quad focused, upper body press, hip/hamstring focused, glute accessory, linear core, lateral core.

As an example, here's one of my workouts: hip thrust, one arm row, goblet squats, bench press, Romanian deadlift, side lying abduction, RKC plank, Turkish get ups. I've substituted exercises or added weight when the suggested exercise is too easy. There's a good index of exercises categorized so you can easily switch them out. I also tack on a few extra exercises (specifically for lats, grip strength, and delts) to make it a little less lower body dominant.

It's a beginner program (although there's one for more advanced lifters in the book too). It seems unusual to go from stronglifts to this unless you feel your glutes need the extra focus. But if I were you, and this is something your daughter was really excited about, and it got you guys to continue to spend time together working out, I don't see much of a down side. You could always add in a few extra things if it feels unbalanced.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it is glute focused in that every workout will include glute work, but it also includes other parts of the body as well. I'm doing get glutes which is the same creators and similar programming...I do a lot of bench press, row, squat, OHP, deadlift, and pull up variations. All of these things would be beneficial for a male as much as a female. I don't see why a guy couldn't run it. You could add in some extra stuff to target your arms more if you want. Run it, if you like it, cool, if you don't then modify or switch to something else.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but here's the gist of the program. You have three workouts. One of them is done twice a week for a total of 4 lifting days. The exercises change every 4 weeks during the 12 week program. Each session has one exercise of each of the following categories: glute focused, upper body pull, quad focused, upper body press, hip/hamstring focused, glute accessory, linear core, lateral core.

As an example, here's one of my workouts: hip thrust, one arm row, goblet squats, bench press, Romanian deadlift, side lying abduction, RKC plank, Turkish get ups. I've substituted exercises or added weight when the suggested exercise is too easy. There's a good index of exercises categorized so you can easily switch them out. I also tack on a few extra exercises (specifically for lats, grip strength, and delts) to make it a little less lower body dominant.

It's a beginner program (although there's one for more advanced lifters in the book too). It seems unusual to go from stronglifts to this unless you feel your glutes need the extra focus. But if I were you, and this is something your daughter was really excited about, and it got you guys to continue to spend time together working out, I don't see much of a down side. You could always add in a few extra things if it feels unbalanced.

Thanks for your insight, we work out together so it is so much easier when we are on the same program. I know there must be quite a few male/female workout partners on this site, so choosing a routine that will help both participants seems like it would be a topic that comes up often, which is why I asked the question. I don't feel I need any extra glute work, but if it is a solidly designed program I don't see the harm in it.
    By the way, why do you think it is unusual to from Strong Lifts to Strong Curves, is there a better option in your opinion? We are still doing research on what we should do next.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    Any downside to working this program as a guy?
    What are your goals?
    Nothing wrong with any program - the question to ask yourself is how it fits your goals.

And there is no reason why you can't work out together on different exercises.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Having a workout partner that has a different program is not a big deal. It sometimes works out better. I'd pick a program that focuses on your goals.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Thanks for your insight, we work out together so it is so much easier when we are on the same program. I know there must be quite a few male/female workout partners on this site, so choosing a routine that will help both participants seems like it would be a topic that comes up often, which is why I asked the question. I don't feel I need any extra glute work, but if it is a solidly designed program I don't see the harm in it.
    By the way, why do you think it is unusual to from Strong Lifts to Strong Curves, is there a better option in your opinion? We are still doing research on what we should do next.

I'm a fairly new lifter, so I'm probably not the one to ask. But it seems that if you do stronglifts long enough to hit a plateau, an intermediate program would be best to continue making gains. Surely someone else would know better than I.

I chose the program specifically because I knew I needed to build my glutes and hamstrings and it appeared to be the best beginner program for that.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
    Nothing wrong with any program - the question to ask yourself is how it fits your goals.

We both have similar goals. Drop fat and maintain or possibly build lean muscle during weight loss. We both like the simplicity and ease of use Strong Lifts has. We have the app on our phones and follow it in the gym, very intuitive.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

One thing about Strong Curves is that there's a lot of recommended supersetting. This isn't necessary, of course, but a superset is normally something like bench press and squats. So in theory, you'd be squatting while she's benching instead of resting/spotting her on her bench press, then you'd flip.

I'm sure she's excited about the glute development aspect, but I don't think she'll get much out of the beginner's program in Strong Curves if you guys are already working your way up on Strong Lifts. She could add in hip thrusts to your current program and basically get the same results. The advanced program has a series of prereqs like 50 unweighted hip thrusts, deadlifting 135lbs for 10 reps, full-depth pushups, etc. so it may or may not be good for you when you get to that point.

Here's a list of programs; something in the intermediate section would probably be more appropriate to move on to:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

We both have similar goals. Drop fat and maintain or possibly build lean muscle during weight loss. We both like the simplicity and ease of use Strong Lifts has. We have the app on our phones and follow it in the gym, very intuitive.

Dropping fat is going to be primarily diet (and perhaps cardio type exercise as a calorie burning supplement).
    LBM maintenance is best served by a program that includes large muscle lifts and whole body - SC does that, but it isn't a simple program.

Try it - it is fine. If you don't like it, move on. See if you have more specific goals as you move forward.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I say try it. It has 4 programs and many experienced lifters I know have still started with the beginner one. Also, if you buy the book, he discusses his basic workout template. So if you don't like his exact plan you can change it a bit.

Bret Contreras's thoughts on men training glutes:

https://bretcontreras.com/glute-training-for-men/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's been suggested but maybe find another program that you could both do? I know she found strong curves and it "caught her eye" but is she dead set on it? No reason and couldn't start an intermediate program as well. I am sure she enjoys lifting with you as well. I definitely applaud your efforts as a dad. I am currently in the "convincing" phase with my daughter. Taking it slow though :) Honestly, there are a lot of other workouts out there and I'm sure you could find one you both enjoy?

Since you both enjoy the simplicity of the Strong Lifts, one I would recommend would be Power Muscle Burn. It's pretty simple and hits strength, Hypertrophy, and endurance. I had awesome success on it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Here is the link to the 4 day.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

Another one that a lot of people seem to like is Ice Cream Fitness.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Hi, my daughter and I have been doing Strong Lifts 5x5 together for about a month and half and have greatly enjoyed the program thus far. We were wondering what program to try after Strong Lifts has run its course (could be many months from now, as we are still making good gains). The program Strong Curves caught her eye and I was wondering if that would be a decent choice when we are finally ready to switch. Any downside to working this program as a guy? We we will be working out together as always.

good for you for working out with your daughter!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I don't think it's been suggested but maybe find another program that you could both do? I know she found strong curves and it "caught her eye" but is she dead set on it? No reason and couldn't start an intermediate program as well. I am sure she enjoys lifting with you as well. I definitely applaud your efforts as a dad. I am currently in the "convincing" phase with my daughter. Taking it slow though :) Honestly, there are a lot of other workouts out there and I'm sure you could find one you both enjoy?

Since you both enjoy the simplicity of the Strong Lifts, one I would recommend would be Power Muscle Burn. It's pretty simple and hits strength, Hypertrophy, and endurance. I had awesome success on it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Here is the link to the 4 day.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

Another one that a lot of people seem to like is Ice Cream Fitness.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

A helpful reply! Cool that you work out together!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    tumblr_momvoeo6CG1s1bdg8o1_250_zps9109ce66.gif

Wow.

I'm actually kind of impressed.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    BTW, here's Bret hip thrusting 800 pounds.

Holy *kitten*!!