Disadvantages of Keto diet

Options
Are there any disadvantages of Keto diet? Please be honest. I am really interested but I would like to make sure everything is safe before a change of lifestyle.

Replies

• megan_h26
    megan_h26 Posts: 325 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    How long is the adaptation period?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    varies on individuals - some the time your body needs to reach ketosis some longer, some just don't.
    Up to 2 weeks can be considered a norm - trial and error is your best bet, you will see it for yourself and also realise if kept is for you or not.
  • megan_h26
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    varies on individuals - some the time your body needs to reach ketosis some longer, some just don't.
    Up to 2 weeks can be considered a norm - trial and error is your best bet, you will see it for yourself and also realise if kept is for you or not.

So if I still get headaches or other adaptation symptoms after two weeks then I should stop it right?
  • megan_h26
    Options
    So, is there any scientific argument about disadvantages of Keto diet?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    megan_h26 wrote: »
    So, is there any scientific argument about disadvantages of Keto diet?

There are, but just like many arguments they are not specifically designed to apply on an individual basis and in practice it depends how your own body reacts. As for the cases that are known to react, if you have gallbladder issues, have fat absorption issues (like from weight loss surgery or other reasons), kidney problems, very low blood pressure it's best to stay away or to carefully monitor your symptoms if you attempt it. There are other side effects as mentioned above but they are pretty individual, so just see how it goes and judge for yourself.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been on a keto diet for about a month, I'm also a vegetarian. The first week I felt more tired and weak than usual (I have fibromyalgia, so I am usually tired.) I also had a mild headache for 2 days. Now I feel better than I have in a long time, I'm not craving carbs and don't get as cranky when I am hungry. Make sure that you are counting net carbs and not total carbs, that's what makes it possible to still eat a lot of vegetables and keep the diet healthy. Remember too that your protein intake should be moderate and not too high. I don't believe there is one perfect diet that works for everyone; some bodies respond better to some diets and other do better on other ones. Good luck!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I never got the keto flu. My experience was totally positive, except I got the dreaded keto breath. I put up with it for 4mths hoping it would go away, but it never did. So eventually I upped my carbs and breath is back to fresh and normal again.
    If it wasn't for that I'd still be low carbing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Having a hard time eating out. That's probably the big one for me...