Disadvantages of Keto diet

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    dykask wrote: »
    Not a troll at all... I just find it humorous that people who do low carb are willing to admit that there might be more than one way to lose weight while those that don't agree with low carb are adament about CICO being the only thing that matters........WRONG..peoples bodies don't all work the same what about those that are insulin resistant..what about those with PCOS Like I said 1500 cals with carbs and walking no weight loss for over 3 months.....1500 cals with low carbs and walking the same amount weight loss....at least for me CICO isn't accurate....I think I will believe what my own body tells me over people on here who are all about CICO....you should be more open minded that there are different way to lose weight and that not the same thing will work for everyone....Bye!

Wow, you have some chip on your shoulder. Frankly you are first low carb fan that I've seen claim that CICO doesn't matter. The general claim is the LCHF meal is more satisfying so fewer calories are consumed. Which I'm sure is true for many people. It actually sounds like you have an error in how you were counting calories or you are not really losing any fat. When a body shifts into ketosis, it burns through stores of glycogen which releases a lot of water. So there is normally a very rapid weight loss period which is mostly just water being lost. If you calorie level is high enough to sustain you, you might end up just maintaining your weight in ketosis. The initial weight loss will be gained back when the body has enough glucose to rebuild its glycogen stores.

I think maybe when people say CICO doesn't work, they may mean that eating the "SAD" doesn't work for them, or that eating a diet with high carbs makes it hard for them to stay in a deficit and therefore makes it impossible to lose weight because they over eat. Some people also think CICO is a way of eating, like an eating plan or something. Just guessing here..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Not a troll at all... I just find it humorous that people who do low carb are willing to admit that there might be more than one way to lose weight while those that don't agree with low carb are adament about CICO being the only thing that matters........WRONG..peoples bodies don't all work the same what about those that are insulin resistant..what about those with PCOS Like I said 1500 cals with carbs and walking no weight loss for over 3 months.....1500 cals with low carbs and walking the same amount weight loss....at least for me CICO isn't accurate....I think I will believe what my own body tells me over people on here who are all about CICO....you should be more open minded that there are different way to lose weight and that not the same thing will work for everyone....Bye!

Wow, you have some chip on your shoulder. Frankly you are first low carb fan that I've seen claim that CICO doesn't matter. The general claim is the LCHF meal is more satisfying so fewer calories are consumed. Which I'm sure is true for many people. It actually sounds like you have an error in how you were counting calories or you are not really losing any fat. When a body shifts into ketosis, it burns through stores of glycogen which releases a lot of water. So there is normally a very rapid weight loss period which is mostly just water being lost. If you calorie level is high enough to sustain you, you might end up just maintaining your weight in ketosis. The initial weight loss will be gained back when the body has enough glucose to rebuild its glycogen stores.

I think maybe when people say CICO doesn't work, they may mean that eating the "SAD" doesn't work for them, or that eating a diet with high carbs makes it hard for them to stay in a deficit and therefore makes it impossible to lose weight because they over eat. Some people also think CICO is a way of eating, like an eating plan or something. Just guessing here..

Typically i hear people say CICO doesnt work, tend to be new to this or some way of eating and don't realize its an energy balance equation.

• dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Typically i hear people say CICO doesnt work, tend to be new to this or some way of eating and don't realize its an energy balance equation.

That makes sense.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Yep you said it better :lol:
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    This debate has been so enlightening. I always wondered that why even have carbs if they are so horrible and what not (ketogenic followers) but it clearly goes to show (from my understanding so far from the thread ) that it'll be a very productive way to build muscle mass if carbs were consumed with proper resistance training (obviously).

Just fyi this would've never happened in the locked LCHF forum. It's good to have an open policy so other side can be heard.

P.S FYI - what the heck -my comment got deleted because I asked someone if they were trolling. It was a question not an attack SMH
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    This debate has been so enlightening. I always wondered that why even have carbs if they are so horrible and what not (ketogenic followers) but it clearly goes to show (from my understanding so far from the thread ) that it'll be a very productive way to build muscle mass if carbs were consumed with proper resistance training (obviously).

Just fyi this would've never happened in the locked LCHF forum. It's good to have an open policy so other side can be heard.

P.S FYI - what the heck -my comment got deleted because I asked someone if they were trolling. It was a question not an attack SMH

Of course not. No one in the LCD forum is ignorant enough to insist you can't build muscle mass eating a low carb diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    :D

I think some who say CICO doesn't work may mean that the calculated TDEE did not work for them because it did not take into account health, food choices and subsequent hormal reactions.

I am another who found I "magically" lost more weight than expected on keto. I set my calories to 1420kcal per day when I was close to 190 lbs at 5'8". I was a completely sedentary SAHM who got a bit of exercise a couple of times per week coaching kids' sports. Barely enough to break a prolonged sweat.

That 1420kcal was set for me to lose about 1.5 lbs per week. Agressive but not too much.

Instead i lost 2-3 lbs on most weeks. I lost over 10 lbs per month for the first 3 months, and then in the 4th month I lost 5 lbs to hit the middle of my BMI and a size 8.

And I was eating over 1420 kcal per day. I averaged out my calories over the first three months and it was 1500kcal.

The calculated CI<CO didn't work for me. It should have taken months longer to lose my weight, and perhaps it would have if I hadn't changed my diet.

Before changing to keto, I could lose on 1500 per day but it wasn't that much, and I could not maintain it more than a couple of weeks due to hunger (partially due to reactive hypoglycemia symptoms). I lost slower and couldn't keep it going... Some people might say CICO didn't work for me there, but a more accurate statement would be "moderation" didn't work for me.

JMO
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Oops. Just saw this. More succinct than my reply was. :)
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Keto is a very hard diet on your liver and kidneys. If you have problems with them you can die. This is not a diet for long term diet, prolonged keto diet(months or so) can damage your kidneys and liver very hard. thats why they are urine tests to measure level of ketones in blood. If i remember correctly when they turn black the level of ketones is critical.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    Keto is a very hard diet on your liver and kidneys. If you have problems with them you can die. This is not a diet for long term diet, prolonged keto diet(months or so) can damage your kidneys and liver very hard. thats why they are urine tests to measure level of ketones in blood. If i remember correctly when they turn black the level of ketones is critical.

But there are people who have been doing keto for years that are healthy and have never experienced any health problems..
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    It really isn't hard on the kidneys or liver. How could a higher fat diet be harmful to them in any way? Sure those with gall bladder issues may have to tweak their ketogenic diet more than most but liver and kidneys? Nah.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @kimondo666 Is it possible you are confusing ketoacidosis and nutritional ketosis? It is a very easy thing to do, lots of people mix those two up.,,
  • dykask
    edited July 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think some who say CICO doesn't work may mean that the calculated TDEE did not work for them because it did not take into account health, food choices and subsequent hormal reactions.

I am another who found I "magically" lost more weight than expected on keto. I set my calories to 1420kcal per day when I was close to 190 lbs at 5'8". I was a completely sedentary SAHM who got a bit of exercise a couple of times per week coaching kids' sports. Barely enough to break a prolonged sweat.

That 1420kcal was set for me to lose about 1.5 lbs per week. Agressive but not too much.

Instead i lost 2-3 lbs on most weeks. I lost over 10 lbs per month for the first 3 months, and then in the 4th month I lost 5 lbs to hit the middle of my BMI and a size 8.

And I was eating over 1420 kcal per day. I averaged out my calories over the first three months and it was 1500kcal.

The calculated CI<CO didn't work for me. It should have taken months longer to lose my weight, and perhaps it would have if I hadn't changed my diet.

Before changing to keto, I could lose on 1500 per day but it wasn't that much, and I could not maintain it more than a couple of weeks due to hunger (partially due to reactive hypoglycemia symptoms). I lost slower and couldn't keep it going... Some people might say CICO didn't work for me there, but a more accurate statement would be "moderation" didn't work for me.

JMO

I glad you have figured out something that controls your hunger, running a 1000 kc / deficit is very aggressive in my book. Assuming you are still on the keto diet, once you go off of it you will add some weight (mostly water) back. I think that is a disadvantage of ketosis diets, the initial weight loss is temporary. (Loss of glycogen that the body will replace as soon as it can.)
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @dykask - I know this wasn't directed to me, but wanted to comment & ask you a question.

I notice a rapid water weight gain if eat more carbs than usual over 2-3 days, which is disheartening, but I do know about the water weight thing. The water weight comes off again once I am back on low-"ish" carb again. I suspect my low carb is not as low as some people; I usually eat about 50-55g net carbs most days, which I find sustainable unless someone else is cooking for me (another disadvantage of LCHF).

Do you know if there is a compelling reason to "go off" a keto diet other than by choice? (I have a bit of insulin resistance and was planning to continue on a lower carb diet as a permanent way of eating, rather than as a temporary "diet".)
  • dykask
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @dykask - I know this wasn't directed to me, but wanted to comment & ask you a question.

I notice a rapid water weight gain if eat more carbs than usual over 2-3 days, which is disheartening, but I do know about the water weight thing. The water weight comes off again once I am back on low-"ish" carb again. I suspect my low carb is not as low as some people; I usually eat about 50-55g net carbs most days, which I find sustainable unless someone else is cooking for me (another disadvantage of LCHF).

Do you know if there is a compelling reason to "go off" a keto diet other than by choice? (I have a bit of insulin resistance and was planning to continue on a lower carb diet as a permanent way of eating, rather than as a temporary "diet".)

There are people that eat low carb for years. If it works and people are okay with it, more power to them I guess.

It probably would be good to see a doctor once in a while, to make sure everything is fine and going well. But we should all be doing that anyways. The human body can probably handle a wide range of foods as long as the diet is reasonable.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

JMO

I glad you have figured out something that controls your hunger, running a 1000 kc / deficit is very aggressive in my book. Assuming you are still on the keto diet, once you go off of it you will add some weight (mostly water) back. I think that is a disadvantage of ketosis diets, the initial weight loss is temporary. (Loss of glycogen that the body will replace as soon as it can.)

I wasn't on a 1000kcal per day deficit. I was on aboy a 700kcal deficit but I ate close to an extra 100kcal per day. So a 600kcal per day deficit. Supposedly. 600kcal X 7 days per week equals 4200kcal deficit per week. Since a pound is 3500kcal, I should have been losing close to 1.5 lbs per week instead of double that.

I'm a sedentary middle aged woman who lost the equivalent of 3 lbs of fat per week. In order to do that I should have been eating a 1500kcal deficit on a daily basis. That would put my TDEE at close to 3000kcal. THAT is where the calculated CICO did not work for me. There is no way that is right. And I weighed my food so that wasn't it.

And yes, most people regain the lost water weight if they go back to higher carb. It's only a couple of pounds, and just water, so I'm hoping that most people wouldn't care.

But I don't plan on ever going back to high or moderate carb. The foods aren't worth the health benefits that I would lose.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @nvmomketo I know you have probably posted this, but what are your net carb grams?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @nvmomketo how much weight have you lost in the past month?
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @nvmomketo I know you have probably posted this, but what are your net grams?

@KetoneKaren For losing it was set at 1420 kcal they are 18g carbs (5%), 118g fat (75%) and 71g protein (20%). Net carbs? I don't know. Maybe half or two thrids of my total carbs. It's all from veggies, nuts, and whatever there is in eggs.

I am not often trying to lose anymore so I usually eat a good 500-1000 kcal more now but the percentages are probably about the same. I guessing my carbs are now maybe 20-30g, fat is 120-140g, and protein is around 80g... Just a guess.
    @nvmomketo how much weight have you lost in the past month?
    Not much. My weight bounced up with an autoimmune issue, and as it resolves I am slowly cutting back a bit on my foods. Probably close to 2000kcal. I am down a pond or two this month.

ETA I am at a good weight now. About a size 10.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @nvmomketo Do you have any trouble sustaining that level of carbs? (I guess you must not). The only thing I resent about LCHF is that I get petulant about limiting root vegetables. I like beets and carrots and parsnips. I also like edamame. I can live without bread and rice and pasta, they just give me heartburn anyway, but I get a bit pi$$y about limiting the others. I have settled on a higher carb intake as you know, having most of my carb intake in the evening so I stay relatively ketotic during the day. It's easy for me to eat mostly protein & fat for breakfast and lunch. Sorry if that's boring.