Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

salt: yes or no

mayoosh_primrose
mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
First I heard that not consuming salt at all was the best for health, then I heard that no, a little salt was actually good for the body. So which is it? And why?
I'm currently consuming 0.5-1 teaspoon/day, is that too much?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    1 tsp of salt is 2300 mg. If you are consuming this on top of added salt/sodium in foods.. you decide if this is bad for you or not.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Just what I've read from somewhere - we need about 500 mg of sodium a day. That can be gotten from food without salt.

The recommendation I have is 2300 mg of sodium a day, but I have HBP. If you don't have any medical problems where high salt or sodium affect you, I don't feel it's something to worry about.

I think it's 1 teaspoon of salt = 2300 mg sodium.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    A little bit, since we need sodium. Only if it's iodised.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member

The body needs iodine, too, but that has nothing to do with our body needed certain levels of salt.
  • mayoosh_primrose
    edited June 2016
    Thank you all, this has been very helpful! :smiley:
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »

The body needs iodine, too, but that has nothing to do with our body needed certain levels of salt.

Yah, but iodised salt/bread just makes it easier to get. Sea salt is pointless. So if I'm adding salt to something I just use iodised salt.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2016
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Yah, but iodised salt/bread just makes it easier to get. Sea salt is pointless. So if I'm adding salt to something I just use iodised salt.

You can get iodised sea salt!
  • mayoosh_primrose
    I have to use salt because of its iodine content :neutral: at first I was annoyed because I got used to eating without it, but I have to admit that it does indeed make everything taste better :love:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Yes you need salt. As someone mentioned, especially if you're exercising! You will sweat, and the body needs salt.

Mind you the only time I ever add salt is with chip shop / fast food chips, which is so so rare. Other that that, I don't add any. There is so much in food already.

In normal circumstances I seem to get around 1500-2500mg a day. That's without adding salt myself.
  • mayoosh_primrose
    I have 8 different types of salt in my pantry. You can take my salt from my cold, dead hands.

:lol: I never knew there were so many types of salt in the first place :hushed:
    Maybe just a pinch? :naughty:

• mayoosh_primrose
    Oh my God!!! *_* :love: they look so beautiful!! Especially black salt, himalayan salt and cyprus sea salt flakes :love: :love:
    I think I'm gonna add some variety to the salt I use :sunglasses::love:
  • mayoosh_primrose
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Yes our bodies need salt, but too much salt can be damaging to our health too. Saying don't worry about it unless you have an existing medical condition may be ok for some people, but I prefer to keep a check on sodium and at least not go over the recommended 5g (1 teaspoon) to help prevent things like high blood pressure in the first place. It comes down to your personal choice really.

I understand :smiley: 1 teaspoon sounds enough for me too
    Thank you!
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    edited June 2016
    First I heard that not consuming salt at all was the best for health, then I heard that no, a little salt was actually good for the body. So which is it? And why?
    I'm currently consuming 0.5-1 teaspoon/day, is that too much?

For a start MFP gives you a measure of how much salt you should have each day. That's a MAXIMUM. You'll always get he minimum because it occurs naturally in many foods.
    Salt is the slimmers enemy because it causes you to retain water - causing weight gain and bloating. For this reason it is also implicated in high blood pressure, heart disease and hypotension.
    But in hot weather and when exercising you might need a little bit more. You can tell easily if you are lacking in salt. A salted potato chip will not taste of anything atall.
    As a general rule most food doesn't need salt, though if your reducing diet is bland you may find yourself adding salt to liven it up. Try to resist.
    A few rules:
    1. Never use table salt - it flows too freely and is full of additives.
    2. Use a good quality sea salt crystal and don't grind it up. You will find that a tiny pinch of sea salt crystals will add little explosions of flavour, without overdoing the sodium dose.
    3. Don't offer salt to your family. Have pepper on the table, but no salt.
    4. Note that salt content on foods can be in grammes (g) or milligrammes (mg). 1g=1000mg. Hundreds of MFP database foods get his wrong.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Your body needs salt. You will have serious and painful, possibly deadly, consequences if you don't get enough.

This isn't true. We need to consume sodium, not salt. Salt is just one way to get sodium. If you eat a well balanced diet you likely don't need any added salt, but unless you've been advised to abstain by a physician there is nothing wrong with adding it for flavor if you want.