Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

salt: yes or no

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I have a condition that requires 5-8 grams per day. It's called being active. It works.

Being active doesn't negate a medical condition. I'm active every day and have to keep my sodium/salt intake low. I'm adding this to the list of Why I Hate Hornsby:

1. Killer calves
    2. Higher than mine TDEE
    3. Can eat salt

Kojak.jpg

• dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I have a condition that requires 5-8 grams per day. It's called being active. It works.

I lose 2kg to 3kg of sweat every workout and I still don't eat that much salt! :cry:
  • adri1342
    adri1342 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your body needs salt to function. Without it you would die. But on the other hand you don't want to consume too much salt because that can make you hold water weight, cause dehydration, and high blood pressure. But take into consideration everything you consume needs to be controlled by portions. So if you ingest the correct amount of salt then your body will be perfectly fine and perform much better, if you ingest too much then you can cause serious health problems. Just take look at nutrition labels and track your amount of salt intake and you should be ok
  • adri1342
    adri1342 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    adri1342 wrote: »
    Your body needs salt to function. Without it you would die. But on the other hand you don't want to consume too much salt because that can make you hold water weight, cause dehydration, and high blood pressure. But take into consideration everything you consume needs to be controlled by portions. So if you ingest the correct amount of salt then your body will be perfectly fine and perform much better, if you ingest too much then you can cause serious health problems. Just take look at nutrition labels and track your amount of salt intake and you should be ok
    also forgot to add that you should try to buy pink Himalayan salt because it is less processed.

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    also forgot to add that you should try to buy pink Himalayan salt because it is less processed.

Worrying about processed salt is like worrying about processed water.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/pass-the-salt-but-not-that-pink-himalayan-stuff/
    The amount of minerals in it is too minuscule to make any difference, and we already get plenty of the same trace minerals from other foods. They claim that two double-blind studies were done, but no such studies are listed in PubMed. There is no evidence published in peer-reviewed journals that replacing white salt with pink salt makes a shred of difference or leads to any improvement in health.

If you read down the list of minerals, you will notice that it includes a number of radioactive substances like radium, uranium, and polonium. It also includes substances that act as poisons, like thallium. I wouldn’t be worried, since the amounts are so small; but if anyone believes the trace amounts of “good” minerals in Himalayan sea salt are good for you, why not believe the trace amounts of poisons and radioactive elements are bad for you?

The claim that pink Himalayan salt contains 84 trace minerals may be true, but the claim that it “promotes health and wellness” is false until proven otherwise by legitimate clinical studies. While waiting for evidence, I’d just as soon my salt didn’t contain uranium.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ben Greenfield is a nutrition and fitness expert. He eats tons of salt: https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/10/grain-salt-really-killing-insides/
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Your body needs salt. You will have serious and painful, possibly deadly, consequences if you don't get enough.

This isn't true. We need to consume sodium, not salt. Salt is just one way to get sodium. If you eat a well balanced diet you likely don't need any added salt, but unless you've been advised to abstain by a physician there is nothing wrong with adding it for flavor if you want.

Yes, that's true that it's actually sodium that we need.

But we do need to get enough of it or there are consequences which can cause pain and even death.

I mentioned in a different thread, a family member of mine was suffering severe leg cramps and one time even passed out during one of those attacks. The doctor discovered that his sodium level was far too low and prescribed salt pills to correct it, and told him to start adding more salt to his food. His habit previously had been to eschew salt because he didn't want to consume too much, but he ended up with the opposite problem.

Is there a big difference between ingesting sodium and ingesting sodium chloride?

Put some straight sodium in your mouth and let me know how it works out for you.

No, seriously, don't.
  • jimd1125
    jimd1125 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How are you supposed to go out to eat and keep your sodium intake in check?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I wish I didn't even have to think about this. My feet double in size on a good day because of salt intake. That's 3 homemade meals and 40-80 oz of water.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    Your body needs salt. You will have serious and painful, possibly deadly, consequences if you don't get enough.

This isn't true. We need to consume sodium, not salt. Salt is just one way to get sodium. If you eat a well balanced diet you likely don't need any added salt, but unless you've been advised to abstain by a physician there is nothing wrong with adding it for flavor if you want.

Yes, that's true that it's actually sodium that we need.

But we do need to get enough of it or there are consequences which can cause pain and even death.

I mentioned in a different thread, a family member of mine was suffering severe leg cramps and one time even passed out during one of those attacks. The doctor discovered that his sodium level was far too low and prescribed salt pills to correct it, and told him to start adding more salt to his food. His habit previously had been to eschew salt because he didn't want to consume too much, but he ended up with the opposite problem.

Is there a big difference between ingesting sodium and ingesting sodium chloride?

Put some straight sodium in your mouth and let me know how it works out for you.

No, seriously, don't.

I'll bite. What would happen?
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
  • kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with salt. Although, my sodium levels are on the lower side.
  • dykask
    Options

Hmmm, eating dirt is good for you?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    dykask wrote: »

But it's EXOTIC dirt. Don't you see? Anything that comes from a part of the world that I have never been to, is magical.
  • dykask
    Options
    dykask wrote: »

But it's EXOTIC dirt. Don't you see? Anything that comes from a part of the world that I have never been to, is magical.

That makes more sense! :smiley:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Its a good thing they didnt try it with potassium. That was a fun experiment in chemistry.

And yet, all of these metals are so precious that if we dont supply the body with enough or even too much, you could have severe medical problems. In fact, too little + my wife's medical condition (pots) almost put her in cardiac arrest.
  • Domilg23
    Domilg23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    no no no
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    Domilg23 wrote: »
    no no no

Why not?
  • MrSimmers
    MrSimmers Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Like with everything, moderation is key. A little salt is good. Avoid foods saturated in salt, or adding more than a pinch yourself.