Aldi's?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Non food stuff can be worth a look, too, I've got some kids' shoes that have done well, they wear out obviously but only at about the same speed as they are outgrown! Especially the winter snow boots have been good. And I got a two-compartment slow cooker pot! It's meant to be for their own brand but it fits my CrockPot.

Non food is a lottery, basically everything is limited time only and there's no guarantee you'll ever see it again! But that's all part of the thrill.

I love this part of Aldi's. Every week is a surprise. I once got a HRM for $10 and it worked as well as my Polar.

Me too!
    For those with kids the Back 2 School stuff is amazing. I got all my kids lunch bags there for $2 each last year and they have lasted really well and keep everything cold.
    I also got an amazing Pilates Work out DVD and instruction book for $3.99. It's amazing what you can find.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Non food stuff can be worth a look, too, I've got some kids' shoes that have done well, they wear out obviously but only at about the same speed as they are outgrown! Especially the winter snow boots have been good. And I got a two-compartment slow cooker pot! It's meant to be for their own brand but it fits my CrockPot.

Non food is a lottery, basically everything is limited time only and there's no guarantee you'll ever see it again! But that's all part of the thrill.

Nice find! I didn't know those even existed. I haven't spent much time in the middle aisle's.. I'll keep that in mind to check more of the non food sections out.

Thanks for the share :smiley:
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

I love this part of Aldi's. Every week is a surprise. I once got a HRM for $10 and it worked as well as my Polar.

Me too!
    For those with kids the Back 2 School stuff is amazing. I got all my kids lunch bags there for $2 each last year and they have lasted really well and keep everything cold.
    I also got an amazing Pilates Work out DVD and instruction book for $3.99. It's amazing what you can find.

Yes! I have that DVD lol. I also got a Foreman family sized grill for $30.00 and 15% off.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Me too!

Yes! I have that DVD lol. I also got a Foreman family sized grill for $30.00 and 15% off.

ugh I saw that grill in an ad recently and was thinking of taking a look but I didn't get over there. :# Looked nice in the ad for the price!

Sounds like some awesome non food finds many of you have found! From school supplies, Pilates DVD's, Grills, Facial Products and more! I love this thread! ;)
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I want to share in the Aldi's love!

anything and everything dairy
    eggs (I just scored a dozen large eggs for $0.49)
    almond milk
    I don't love their greek yogurt, (Fage snob) but the kids love the regular kind
    fruits and veggies, though I agree you do have to be somewhat selective
    frozen veggies- they have the best frozen corn! tried WalMart's off brand and it was horrid and dry
    meat- I second the thoughts on steak, the selection varies, but we just had an awesome pre-seasoned beef roast and flat iron steak
    frozen chicken breast

I could go on and on...

Non edibles:
    garbage bags
    zipper seal bags
    diapers!! so cheap (12.50/box) and just as good as Huggies or Luvs
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Ooh, I want to share in the Aldi's love!

anything and everything dairy
    eggs (I just scored a dozen large eggs for $0.49)
    almond milk
    fruits and veggies, though I agree you do have to be somewhat selective
    frozen veggies- they have the best frozen corn! tried WalMart's off brand and it was horrid and dry
    meat- I second the thoughts on steak, the selection varies, but we just had an awesome pre-seasoned beef roast and flat iron steak
    frozen chicken breast

I could go on and on...

Non edibles:
    garbage bags
    zipper seal bags
    diapers!! so cheap (12.50/box) and just as good as Huggies or Luvs

Really? I haven't tried their diapers but if they're that good I definitely should!
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Love aldis for the basics! Eggs milk bread tuna apples berries frozen veggies steamy bags frozen fruit for smoothies etc. my kids like the granola bars, crackers and popcicles from there.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The quality does vary greatly from location to location it seems, I've been to a couple that were truly frightening. Thankfully the one near me is great, I shop there all the time.
    There are several in our area, and only one of them is worth the effort. But it's impossible to feed our family of 6 on one income without shopping at Aldi!

• rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Haha, me too... though I found an alternative at Meijer last night for $0.79. It can't replace Fage, but it's the best alternative I've found so far. Dannon and Chobani are NASTY.

• lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I do most of my shopping at Aldi. Pretty much all the basics, such as milk, eggs, flour, sugar, baking soda, etc. are cheaper that other stores. Produce is generally pretty cheap, especially when what you're looking for is on sale. Other stuff I like to buy:

Sandwich Thins
    Gourmet Cheese
    Brie Cheese
    Hummus
    Cereal
    Coffee
    Sour Cream
    Chicken Nuggets
    Seasonal Stuff (Spatzle Noodles!)
  • ktaylor1105
    ktaylor1105 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Everything!
  • Hearts_2015
    edited June 2016
    Options

This has been a really great thread, so helpful for us newbies to Aldi's. Thanks for all the suggested ideas from non food item such as facial moisturizer to grills to everything in between. So many things to check out next time!

Are Aldi's one size or do the stores vary in size depending on the area?
    So appreciative of the tips on bringing home boxes for my cat :D & also sharing about the large plastic shopping bags (that I knew nothing about).

You Aldi's folks are a pretty generous, informative, awesome bunch! <3
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Lidl's Greek yoghurt is awesome, also their Turkish yoghurt (more heavily strained - it's thick like ice cream and I loove it). I feel sad for those of you Stateside that Lidl hasn't made it over there yet, with their fancy pants pasta sauce and £30 legs of Serrano ham.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I went once and probably won't go again, lol. Produce wasn't cheaper and was average quality, selection was poor, and everything else looked like cheap knock-offs!

I admit I'm puzzled by all the Aldi's love.

I'm not sure about the US, but in Germany many of those knock-off products are from exactly the same factory as the expensive brands.

Same in the UK, for those who love the fox's rocky biscuits, aldi's version is actually the exact same biscuit made in the same factory (I have a friend who worked for foxes).

I love their full fat greek yogurt, their forest fruit yogurt in the 500g pot, nice cereal bars, their cereal is good, tea, coffee, tinned soup, baked beans, deli meat, normal meat and good value fruit and veg.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    This has been a really great thread, so helpful for us newbies to Aldi's. Thanks for all the suggested ideas from non food item such as facial moisturizer to grills to everything in between. So many things to check out next time!

Are Aldi's one size or do the stores vary in size depending on the area?
    So appreciative of the tips on bringing home boxes for my cat :D & also sharing about the large plastic shopping bags (that I knew nothing about).

You Aldi's folks are a pretty generous, informative, awesome bunch! <3

They definitely vary in size because the hubby and I stopped in one out of state and it was 3 times the size of our local one.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My impression is that newly built Aldis are a bit bigger than the one I shopped at back in the 90s when I was in college. It may also depend on the space available and whether or not they are able to build it to specifications.
  • amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I go for the fruits and vegetables.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    I just got this weeks ad and they have peaches for 29 cents a lb and ribeye steaks for $6.99 a lb. I know where I'm going today. Also a great Belgian waffle maker for $19.99 that costs twice as much on Amazon. I don't think I'll use it much but dayam I love a deal!