Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Non-GMO foods aren't any safer or healthier

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the subject, but I am curious about if genetic material survives the digestive process.

It can, yes. Took me a minute to locate the reference.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v464/n7290/full/nature08937.html

ETA: Should add, most doesn't.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the subject, but I am curious about if genetic material survives the digestive process.

It can, yes. Took me a minute to locate the reference.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v464/n7290/full/nature08937.html

ETA: Should add, most doesn't.

Thank you!
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Also I want to add that every time you eat meat that's a GMO. The genes coming from both parents. Genes that haven't been together or eaten before. Brand new GMO.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    I'm not asking you to believe anything. I'm asking for a reason to fear foods just because they've had a gene added. Fallacious appeals to past medical mistakes don't convince me much either. The soy, Apple, wheat point is also unconvincing, they have been changing for thousands of years, each time their genes and allele frequency being modified, every time a new variety is created. Would you not eat a new variety of Apple because "genes"?

Who's in fear of foods? I'm explaining why some people feel like the jury is still out despite reading on the internet that all GMOs "are safe."

What makes pointing out that drugs have been approved for public use before all of their side effects were discovered "fallacious?" I understand if you don't like my point and feel like nobody could ever make a mistake again, but you're dismissing it outright without even considering it, and simply using the word "fallacious" isn't a good reason to do that.

Which has changed more in my life time? Apples, or some randomly chosen GMO? By how many orders of magnitude? Your reason for being unconvinced is ... not very well thought out, in my opinion.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Also I want to add that every time you eat meat that's a GMO. The genes coming from both parents. Genes that haven't been together or eaten before. Brand new GMO.

Not even close to comparable. Maybe a biology lesson is in order. :wink:

By the way there are only so many different genes for eye color and my guess is that they have been together before.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options

Which has changed more in my life time? Apples, or some randomly chosen GMO? By how many orders of magnitude? Your reason for being unconvinced is ... not very well thought out, in my opinion.

I would hazard a guess that the degree of genetic change required to produce a Honey Crisp apple is not too dissimilar to that which results in "roundup ready" corn. In both cases we're talking about maybe a couple chromosomes that have been altered.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yes, GMOs are safe but they taste like ****, which is why I eat mostly organic now anyways. My neighbor is currently growing organic tomatoes. She let me try one of her ripe ones. I was hooked.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    Yes, GMOs are safe but they taste like ****, which is why I eat mostly organic now anyways. My neighbor is currently growing organic tomatoes. She let me try one of her ripe ones. I was hooked.

More than likely hot housed. ...forced to grow quickly so usually no taste
  • paulgads82
    edited June 2016
    Options

Who's in fear of foods? I'm explaining why some people feel like the jury is still out despite reading on the internet that all GMOs "are safe."

What makes pointing out that drugs have been approved for public use before all of their side effects were discovered "fallacious?" I understand if you don't like my point and feel like nobody could ever make a mistake again, but you're dismissing it outright without even considering it, and simply using the word "fallacious" isn't a good reason to do that.

People don't think they are safe because they read it on the intrernet. Appeals to the failures of medical science by invoking thalidomide are fallacious, as explained here https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/oh-yeah-thalidomide-wheres-your-science-now/ I'm still waiting on why fast change is scary but slow isn't. Would you eat a new variety of Apple?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm tired of hearing about how a food is so much healthier because it's "organic" or not genetically modified. And when I search for healthy recipes, all this stuff comes up about "GMO-free!" GMOs are safe, people!

Agreed. Besides, Mother Nature has been genetically modifying our food since the dawn of time...
  • paulgads82
    edited June 2016
    Options

Not even close to comparable. Maybe a biology lesson is in order. :wink:

By the way there are only so many different genes for eye color and my guess is that they have been together before.

What happens when new life is created? Genes come from......? It's actually very comparable, only with GMO foods fewer genes are switched and with greater control.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

That's not what is meant when people talk GMO food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm tired of hearing about how a food is so much healthier because it's "organic" or not genetically modified. And when I search for healthy recipes, all this stuff comes up about "GMO-free!" GMOs are safe, people!

Agreed. Besides, Mother Nature has been genetically modifying our food since the dawn of time...

Some people trust her more than the mad scientists and even madder government agencies.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

More than likely hot housed. ...forced to grow quickly so usually no taste

Or just out of season or transported from far away. Tomatoes can lack taste when picked early or chilled, which is why supermarket tomatoes often aren't any good. IMO, nothing to do with organic or not. The type of tomato matters too.

And yeah, nothing to do with GMO, as no one is buying GMO tomatoes.
  • paulgads82
    edited June 2016
    Options

I know. I'm trying to draw attention to how common gene modification is in our diet already. Probably not as well as I'd like perhaps.....
  • paulgads82
    Options

I ordered some organic veg once. Tasted incredible. But I put it down to the variety and freshness. My own veg tastes amazing too. Like really amazing. It's just fresh and I pick varieties for flavour not yield.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Looking at the avalance of fear mongering graphics you get when you type "GMO food" into google, it's mostly because people have no idea what GMO food even means.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    On average, GM technology adoption has reduced chemical pesticide use by 37%, increased crop yields by 22%, and increased farmer profits by 68%. Yield gains and pesticide reductions are larger for insect-resistant crops than for herbicide-tolerant crops. Yield and profit gains are higher in developing countries than in developed countries.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0111629