Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Non-GMO foods aren't any safer or healthier

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    Also I want to add that every time you eat meat that's a GMO. The genes coming from both parents. Genes that haven't been together or eaten before. Brand new GMO.

That's not what is meant when people talk GMO food.

I know. I'm trying to draw attention to how common gene modification is in our diet already. Probably not as well as I'd like perhaps.....

Because you are mixing subjects

What? How on earth is the fact that we eat modified genes all the time a separate subject to eating genes that have been modified in a much simpler fashion? It couldn't be more relevant.

Because the fashion isn't at all similar.

As I've now stated 3 times. With GMOs the gene modification is much simpler and controlled. Yet apparently "not nature" seems to be the best attempt at refuting this point.

much simpler and controlled =/=same, correct?

I'm not playing this silly game.

Cool. You fold, I win. :p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

But who told you any of them was safe?

In a sense, nature did, when people ate them and didn't die.

Nature didn't tell anyone to eat them.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I imagine some trust the mythical Mother Nature more because she hasn't told us things like were safe that later turned out to be harmful.

You don't know any mushroom hunters, do you? All kinds of people have been sickened and/or died thanks to mis-identification of poisonous mushrooms as safe. A big part of the reason for that is that Mother Nature often makes it very difficult to tell the difference.

Who told you they were safe?

Thought I covered that. Mother Nature makes certain poisonous mushrooms almost identical in appearance to other mushrooms that are safe to eat. She also neglects to put any taste cues into the bad ones.

In other words, nature indeed does sometimes lie about food safety.

I don't really care either way. If you disagree that people are wrong to be concerned about that, fine. But let's stop pretending that poisonous frogs and mushrooms and earthquakes have anything to do with GMO crops.

I never said they have anything to do with GMO. However, they do have to do with the fallacial claim made that we can trust mother nature because she never tries to trick or harm us.
    In other words, it's an illustration of how natural =/= safe or better for you.

ETA and actually, that DOES have something to do with GMO.

That's fine. I wanted the conversation to move along and it seems to have done so. It was getting ridiculous.

ETA. @need2exerc1se can correct me, but I don't think her point was that natural=better. I thought she was trying to say that GMOs are too new in the grand scheme of things for us to really know the long term effects. Aaron_k123 made a good point about how they actually fit into the timeline of human history. (Again, I don't have any interest in participating in the debate but the subject is interesting.)
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I completely agree with this. It's the same reason that someone saying "GMOs are fine" makes me cringe.

They are fine. There is no GMO in the market now that isn't fine. If you want to stretch the point so far to include the possibility that GM technology could be used to create something that isn't fine......I guess you could have that.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Nature gave us hunger.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I imagine some trust the mythical Mother Nature more because she hasn't told us things like were safe that later turned out to be harmful.

You don't know any mushroom hunters, do you? All kinds of people have been sickened and/or died thanks to mis-identification of poisonous mushrooms as safe. A big part of the reason for that is that Mother Nature often makes it very difficult to tell the difference.

Thought I covered that. Mother Nature makes certain poisonous mushrooms almost identical in appearance to other mushrooms that are safe to eat. She also neglects to put any taste cues into the bad ones.

I don't really care either way. If you disagree that people are wrong to be concerned about that, fine. But let's stop pretending that poisonous frogs and mushrooms and earthquakes have anything to do with GMO crops.

I never said they have anything to do with GMO. However, they do have to do with the fallacial claim made that we can trust mother nature because she never tries to trick or harm us.

I'm curious. How is the poisonous frog tricking you?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Nature gave us hunger.

And lust.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That's fine. I wanted the conversation to move along and it seems to have done so. It was getting ridiculous.

ETA. @need2exerc1se can correct me, but I don't think her point was that natural=better. I thought she was trying to say that GMOs are too new in the grand scheme of things for us to really know the long term effects. Aaron_k123 made a good point about how they actually fit into the timeline of human history. (Again, I don't have any interest in participating in the debate but the subject is interesting.)

Actually I was saying that many people don't want GMO because they believe natural = better. I never said anything about what I believe, except that GMO is a broad subject and I don't think everything GMO should be grouped together as good or bad any more than everything natural should.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

Actually I was saying that many people don't want GMO because they believe natural = better. I never said anything about what I believe, except that GMO is a broad subject and I don't think everything GMO should be grouped together as good or bad any more than everything natural should.

Thank you for clarifying!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'll take Organic foods over non organic foods Every. Single. Time.

But you also sell snake oil, so your opinion is irrelevant.

FIFY

FIFY

Damn it, now I can't tell if people are agreeing with what I meant to say or agreeing with the error I made.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Also I want to add that every time you eat meat that's a GMO. The genes coming from both parents. Genes that haven't been together or eaten before. Brand new GMO.

am i a gmo? I'm just a widdle fwog
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

FIFY

FIFY

Damn it, now I can't tell if people are agreeing with what I meant to say or agreeing with the error I made.

Shhhh. Just sit back and enjoy the 'likes' from all the confused people.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    JKI19 wrote: »
    I tend to opt for organic items more out of an ethical standpoint than anything else. The patenting and without bar approach to GMOs via corporations, especially Monsanto, is something that in the long run I don't see as bringing any good. Immediate side effects for GMOs are mostly nill, but long-term is still unknown.

Exactly. Absolutely no one can prove GMOs (and all the other junk being put into our food) are safe or harmful in the long-term because we straight up - DO NOT KNOW. Personally, I'm going to opt for the organic food that has been proven safe for generations. The things our bodies were meant to ingest.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I tend to opt for organic items more out of an ethical standpoint than anything else. The patenting and without bar approach to GMOs via corporations, especially Monsanto, is something that in the long run I don't see as bringing any good. Immediate side effects for GMOs are mostly nill, but long-term is still unknown.

Exactly. Absolutely no one can prove GMOs (and all the other junk being put into our food) are safe or harmful in the long-term because we straight up - DO NOT KNOW. Personally, I'm going to opt for the organic food that has been proven safe for generations. The things our bodies were meant to ingest.

Proving a negative?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

20+ years of testing isn't long enough?

Dude, clearly one generation is not enough! J/K
  • RanaSimon
    RanaSimon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    teamgiff4 wrote: »
    I'm tired of hearing about how GMO's are completely safe.
    But I guess it does make sense, I mean why would the people making a huge profit off of them lie to us?
    Why should they have to prove they are safe, I mean it's only FOOD and the environment.

you know what I am really tired of? This whole 'wash your hands to prevent disease' trend.

Literally every food you put in your mouth is genetically modified, either intentionally or naturally. I don't care if you're growing vegetables in your garden and that is all you eat. The seeds you use to grow them have been genetically modified for generations to be what they are today. Fast-forwarding the GM process from one harvest to the next doesn't make them any more or less unhealthy than they already are.

You know what I'm sick of? People using GMO like it's some disease or chemical because it's an acronym. Call them what they are - genetically modified organisms - and understand what that means before you start acting like the human race is out to slowly poison you to death.