Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Non-GMO foods aren't any safer or healthier

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    In my eyes that labelling would make as much sense as labelling whether a plant was grown outside or in a greenhouse.

nl69yqfupadm.jpg

I would definitely buy potentially haunted crackers!
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    megann120 wrote: »

Plus, there's the social and economic ramifications of things like patented organisms, which sounds harmless at first, but there are deep and insidious impacts on farmers personally, the security of our food future, the balance of the economy, and the health of the biosphere.

I would advise you to hear opinions of real farmers and food producers. Many of them tried organic production and found it unsustainable.
    Knowing how round up works and how it saves fields from use of herbicides, having crops that are pest resistant and therefore eliminating the use of pesticides these are the things that can secure our future and feed the world.
    Not to mention some organic practices are much worse than conventional farming, just to mention not using antibiotics in animals...

Roundup (glyphosate) IS a broad spectrum herbicide. Lots of people are concerned about its environmental impact. I agree about pest resistant GMOs --- that's what PP was saying about being concerned about what organisms are modified for.

Also, non-GMO is not the same as organic, so conflating them doesn't really add to the discussion.

About antibiotics: not fattening livestock in overly dense feed lots on corn means that you don't need constant low-dose antibiotics in feed. Grass fed cows and sheep don't need antibiotics because the are eating what they evolved to eat, not corn and they aren't constantly living in manure. Low cost producers like antibiotics because feedlots allow more animals crammed in less space, and they don't much care that the animals are sick and suffering the whole time.

Constant low-dose antibiotics in animal feed contribute to antibiotic resistance. Please read about the looming crisis of antibiotic resistance. However you feel about GMOs (and I too hate how so many people mindlessly hate GMOs), please learn about antibiotic resistance. It's a big deal.
  • Leesa_Michelle
    Leesa_Michelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't trust organic food in the stores or GMO food. I only go to farmers that grow non-GMO produce. Organic doesn't mean what it used to. The definition has been altered to essentially be almost the same thing as normal produce just at a heftier price.

The studies in the US on GMO foods are scientist paid by GMO companies like Monsanto. They're paid to essentially lie about the data. There have been several scientists in Europe who are adamant that GMO food is horrible for your health and have increased cancer and tumors in their studies. The studies are all out there and aren't hard to find.

Also, the statement that GMO food can produce more have been found to be invalid and untrue. It doesn't. In fact, farmers in Iowa that had non-GMO seeds actually had theirs grow in the drought a few years back whereas the GMO farmers had little to no growth. Non-GMO seeds are stronger and more durable.

The idea that GMO foods can help feed the world is false. We have enough food the feed the world. The problem is that we throw away vast amounts of food and transporting it to areas that need it is a problem - besides once it gets there it's hard to ensure it gets into the right hands. GMO produce isn't going to solve transportation, lack of water, waste or governmental issues in these areas, which are the real problems.

And finally, studies have shown that insects that used to feed off these foods aren't feeding off the GMO foods. If you think about it, that's terrifying. If it isn't good for them and their bodies, why would it be okay for us? It's not. GMO foods I believe we're started by scientists who I think had the best intentions, but now is only used as a means to make corporations money.

Look up what farmers have to say about them. They're the experts when it comes to GMOs in the US. It isn't nice. I haven't seen one farmer in favor of GMOs over non-GMOs and I've lived in Iowa, Illinois and Ohio, so I feel like that's saying a TON.

Just my thoughts. Eat them all you'd like. I am just not comfortable putting food in my body that is sold as "healthy", but am really unsure what it does to my insides. Let's just say that "the jury is still on out GMOs" for good measure. Do you really want to put something in your body where "the jury is still out"? Not me. :)
  • Leesa_Michelle
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I believe I said "like Monsanto" not "just Monsanto". There's quite a difference there. ;)

By you saying citation needed, I'm guessing you haven't researched anything in your life? Like I said, they're all out there and easily accessible. If you are that interested, you'll research. If not, okay, I'm not hurt by it.

Sure, if the transportation is fixed that's great. However, how does anyone grow food without water, or with a poor government, or with groups around who are armed who steal food from other areas? Areas where transportation is bad and have lack of roadways and highway systems, these other problems are likelier to also be in the same areas. It's a question human rights athletics have been trying to solve for decades. GMOs can't fix those problems. If and when they can be fixed, GMOs won't be needed, our regular food supply can feed them adequately and then some.

If "we're not insects" is your only argument back to that, then enough said. If animals that primarily feed on those said food sources cannot feed on them any longer once they're genetically modified and you cannot see a direct correlation why that may be bad for us, then alrighty then. Have fun with that.

If you do not understand or have not heard of the nasty and sick ways corporations force farmers to buy GMO seeds, then I advise you look it up. Farmers who have been around for generations have been sued for millions of dollars because seeds from other farmer's crops gets blown into their farms and they get two choices 1.) get sued or 2.) buy the crops and start growing. Also, government subsidies. Come on. This isn't even hard to research.

Last point, no it has not. Everything I have seen says science is still questioning them. Multiple "scientists" from the US say they're fine. All these scientist I've seen have direct findings coming from corporations that produce GMOs, so they have enormous bias. Extensive amounts of scientists from the EU say it's absolutely unhealthy. Science is still out on GMOs whether you want to believe it or not. Like I said, you're welcome to eat it. Go for it! No ones stopping you! Some of us though, would like more access to non GMO produced food. I think as America, the "greatest freest country", we should be allowed to choose the food we eat. I think then "eat what you want, whatever that it is, as long as it is legal" is a pretty fair stance.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I believe I said "like Monsanto" not "just Monsanto". There's quite a difference there. ;)

By you saying citation needed, I'm guessing you haven't researched anything in your life? Like I said, they're all out there and easily accessible. If you are that interested, you'll research. If not, okay, I'm not hurt by it.

Sure, if the transportation is fixed that's great. However, how does anyone grow food without water, or with a poor government, or with groups around who are armed who steal food from other areas? Areas where transportation is bad and have lack of roadways and highway systems, these other problems are likelier to also be in the same areas. It's a question human rights athletics have been trying to solve for decades. GMOs can't fix those problems. If and when they can be fixed, GMOs won't be needed, our regular food supply can feed them adequately and then some.

If "we're not insects" is your only argument back to that, then enough said. If animals that primarily feed on those said food sources cannot feed on them any longer once they're genetically modified and you cannot see a direct correlation why that may be bad for us, then alrighty then. Have fun with that.

If you do not understand or have not heard of the nasty and sick ways corporations force farmers to buy GMO seeds, then I advise you look it up. Farmers who have been around for generations have been sued for millions of dollars because seeds from other farmer's crops gets blown into their farms and they get two choices 1.) get sued or 2.) buy the crops and start growing. Also, government subsidies. Come on. This isn't even hard to research.

Last point, no it has not. Everything I have seen says science is still questioning them. Multiple "scientists" from the US say they're fine. All these scientist I've seen have direct findings coming from corporations that produce GMOs, so they have enormous bias. Extensive amounts of scientists from the EU say it's absolutely unhealthy. Science is still out on GMOs whether you want to believe it or not. Like I said, you're welcome to eat it. Go for it! No ones stopping you! Some of us though, would like more access to non GMO produced food. I think as America, the "greatest freest country", we should be allowed to choose the food we eat. I think then "eat what you want, whatever that it is, as long as it is legal" is a pretty fair stance.

Saying "like monsanto" as if there's enough companies to get to the amount of available money that ONE oil company has and the whole oil industry not being able to hide the fact of climate change...
  • Leesa_Michelle
    Options
    Since I'm a nice person, here you go. They all have links to their proper scientific study counterparts as well.

http://responsibletechnology.org/10-reasons-to-avoid-gmos/

https://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/04/08/10-scientific-studies-proving-gmos-can-be-harmful-to-human-health/

http://naturallysavvy.com/eat/whats-so-bad-about-gmos-top-ten-reasons-to-avoid-them

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/articles/2015/04/29/are-gmos-really-that-harmful-to-eat

http://nutritionstudies.org/gmo-dangers-facts-you-need-to-know/

http://www.fooddemocracynow.org/blog/2013/may/6/former_pro_gmo_scientist_talks_dangers_of_gmos

I literally went down the list in Google. You could go dozens of pages in and keep finding new
    studies.

Now, perhaps, if you are he type of person that doesn't like or agree with science, then you won't like or agree any of those. If you stil believe after looking at this research that the "jury is NOT out and GMOs are safeL, then eat it, but it doesn't mean that those us of that don't agree should HAVE to eat it. We deserve the choice to eat non-GMO food.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    umbbowm52j4f.png

I guess there's no consensus on global warming or vaccines either.
  • Leesa_Michelle
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, therefore it must be bad for humans too.

That's cute. How you twist words and science to fit your "argument". Chocolate in its purest form is okay for humans and bad for dogs.

However, taking a plant in its purest form where an insect ate off of it healthy and had a normal life span off of it, and then genetically changing it, and then now that same insect eats off it and dies or has issues IS NOT equatable to your example. I hope you see the difference. If not, I just conclude you score low on problem solving skills.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Let sigh. BT is toxic to insect but not to mammals.

It is a chemical that is naturally produced in many plants and has been used as an insecticide for decades before the advent of GMO.

It has been extensively tested and shown to be safe.

It is the reason insects can't eat GMO corn.

q57swwuiyd2i.gif
  • Leesa_Michelle
    Options
    umbbowm52j4f.png

I guess there's no consensus on global warming or vaccines either.

Using completely different types of science isn't going to prove your point to me. You're asking me to show links of credible studies on GMOs, yet you're showing me zero credible links on GMOs and decide to keep bringing up climate change when the two fields require completely different scientists with completely different scientific methods. As much as I LOVE Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Cross, I won't post an evolutionary biology study or a Cosmo study to prove my point on GMOs . Try again. This time with a multitude of scientific findings from all over the world where scientists aren't getting a salary from a bias party. Thanks!
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Almost 20 years and billions of subjects show no difference in GMO vs non-GMO feed

https://www.animalsciencepublications.org/publications/jas/articles/92/10/4255

(Not funded by Monsanto )
  • wenkaz
    wenkaz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Forget about "GM" for a moment. The big problem is the glyphosate residue in the grains because glyphosate products, such as RoundUp, were sprayed on the fields during plant growth. Its the glyphosate residue that goes into your body and acts as an endocrine disruptor (and more), that is the problem with GMOs. OK?
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    wenkaz wrote: »
    Forget about "GM" for a moment. The big problem is the glyphosate residue in the grains because glyphosate products, such as RoundUp, were sprayed on the fields during plant growth. Its the glyphosate residue that goes into your body and acts as an endocrine disruptor (and more), that is the problem with GMOs. OK?

Herbicide use has not changed significantly since the advent of GMO crops. Glyphosate use has increased but this has been met with a decrease in the use of other, more dangerous chemicals such as Alachlor and Cyanazine
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Herbicide resistance is not limited to GMO crops. Clearfield corn is resistant to imidazoline and was developed through non-GMO methods.

Guess how much safety testing it had to undergo.