Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Non-GMO foods aren't any safer or healthier

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I think I'd rather worry about the conditions in which the laborers who harvest our crops live and work, than about some inexpressible idea that there might be something bad about rigorously tested modified crops. One is a concrete thing impacting real people in their daily lives (not just workers but other people far away when foods get contaminated with things like hepatitis A because the workers aren't given sanitary facilities). The other is an intangible fear that *maybe in the future* there will be a problem despite steps being taken to ensure safety.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    TheFair0ne wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Couldn't you say what you just said about literally anything and everything we consume? You could say what you just said about almonds or brocolli and it would be true. It is overly vague...what specifically about genetic engineering as a tool warrants concern and suspicion about a negative affect on our gut flora?

Scientists don't just study any and all possible combinations and measure the effects on any and all biological processes....there has to be a reason.

What is the reason you have concerns about the effect of apparently any "GMO" on your microbiome yhat wouldnt be an equal concern for anything else you consume and why?

Largely the introduction of genetic trades from wildly different species such as taking the BT toxin production of certain species of bacteria and adding that to plans, so that hey generate their own pesticide.

So genetically modifying plant to produce its own BT toxin is scary, but spraying a plant with BT is somehow ok.

Because we've been doing the latter on organic farms for 50 years.

http://www.bt.ucsd.edu/organic_farming.html

I can't speak for anyone else, but it is scary to me. I can choose whether to eat the plant sprayed with it. If the plant genetically modified to produce it is in no way distinguished from plants not genetically modified to produce it then I cannot choose. And not being able to choose is scary to me.

How would you be able to tell whether a plant was sprayed with BT? Unless you grew it yourself.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It's named after my home state, people need to stop dissing it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Thuringia?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you say what you just said about literally anything and everything we consume? You could say what you just said about almonds or brocolli and it would be true. It is overly vague...what specifically about genetic engineering as a tool warrants concern and suspicion about a negative affect on our gut flora?

Scientists don't just study any and all possible combinations and measure the effects on any and all biological processes....there has to be a reason.

What is the reason you have concerns about the effect of apparently any "GMO" on your microbiome yhat wouldnt be an equal concern for anything else you consume and why?

Largely the introduction of genetic trades from wildly different species such as taking the BT toxin production of certain species of bacteria and adding that to plans, so that hey generate their own pesticide.

So genetically modifying plant to produce its own BT toxin is scary, but spraying a plant with BT is somehow ok.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it is scary to me. I can choose whether to eat the plant sprayed with it. If the plant genetically modified to produce it is in no way distinguished from plants not genetically modified to produce it then I cannot choose. And not being able to choose is scary to me.

How would you be able to tell whether a plant was sprayed with BT? Unless you grew it yourself.

I don't know that I could. That's why I grow my own.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited June 2016
    Options

I have a veggie garden too...doesn't mean I'm worried about BT. What concerns you about BT exactly?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Worrying that BT toxin is going to poke holes in our commensal prokaria or our own gut lining because it pokes holes in specific insects midguts is like worrying that a holepunch is going to punch holes in the ozone layer because it punches holes in paper.

This may be the most ridiculous post I've seen to date on this site.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I have a veggie garden too...doesn't mean I'm worried about BT. What concerns you about BT exactly?

Nothing. I don't use it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Thuringia?

Yep.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Worrying that BT toxin is going to poke holes in our commensal prokaria or our own gut lining because it pokes holes in specific insects midguts is like worrying that a holepunch is going to punch holes in the ozone layer because it punches holes in paper.

Why? There is about as much reason to worry that an insect midgut enterotoxin is going to poke holes in a bacterial cell wall as there is to worry that a hole punch is going to hurt the ozone layer. In otherwords...no reason.

Just because something punches a hole in one thing doesn't mean you can just transfer that concern to anything you don't want holes punched into. That was my point and I think it stands.

If you think that is silly then what is the specific mechanism by which BT is going to poke holes in the cell walls of commensal prokaryia or our own intestinal lining that has you concerned?

It's silly because comparing two living organisms consuming the same thing is a very far cry from trying to put ozone into a hole punch. It's not just comparing apples to oranges, it's comparing apples to a manual drill press.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

Why? There is about as much reason to worry that an insect midgut enterotoxin is going to poke holes in a bacterial cell wall as there is to worry that a hole punch is going to hurt the ozone layer. In otherwords...no reason.

Just because something punches a hole in one thing doesn't mean you can just transfer that concern to anything you don't want holes punched into. That was my point and I think it stands.

If you think that is silly then what is the specific mechanism by which BT is going to poke holes in the cell walls of commensal prokaryia or our own intestinal lining that has you concerned?

It's silly because comparing two living organisms consuming the same thing is a very far cry from trying to put ozone into a hole punch. It's not just comparing apples to oranges, it's comparing apples to a manual drill press.

If you want to compare living organisms consuming the same thing:

Garlic is toxic to cats
    Theobromine (found in chocolate) is poisonous to dogs and cats
    Avocados are toxic to some birds
    Shall I go on?

Just because one thing is bad for a certain living thing does not mean it's bad for all living things.

There are more concrete concerns involving our food supply that are real things to worry about right now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

Garlic is toxic to cats
    Shall I go on?

Just because one thing is bad for a certain living thing does not mean it's bad for all living things.

There are more concrete concerns involving our food supply that are real things to worry about right now.

Go on as long as you like, but you might want to check your facts first.

Chocolate is not poisonous to dogs (not sure about cats). It's a common allergen for dogs. Many dogs can eat chocolate without any negative reactions.

And then if you could somehow relate your list to the threads topic that would also be cool.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Garlic is toxic to cats
    Shall I go on?

Chocolate is not poisonous to dogs (not sure about cats). It's a common allergen for dogs. Many dogs can eat chocolate without any negative reactions.

And then if you could somehow relate your list to the threads topic that would also be cool.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Chocolate is poisons to dogs. The theobromine is a toxin
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

Garlic is toxic to cats
    Shall I go on?

Theobromine is not poisonous to dogs?

And you can't see the relation between BT killing specific insects but not our intestinal flora, and theobromine being toxic to some animals but not to humans?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Garlic is toxic to cats
    Shall I go on?

Theobromine is not poisonous to dogs?

And you can't see the relation between BT killing specific insects but not our intestinal flora, and theobromine being toxic to some animals but not to humans?

I don't see the relation between your list and my comment about a silly post comparing 2 completely different things. I also don't see the relation to the OP (GMO being safe/unsafe).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Garlic is toxic to cats
    Shall I go on?

Sorry to burst your bubble but Chocolate is poisons to dogs. The theobromine is a toxin

Someone should tell that to all the dogs out there safely eating chocolate.