Herbalife

Options

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    From a sports therapist type I know: "The only people who ever have anything good to say about Herbalife are those trying to sell it."

Hmmm, I'm not someone who sells it and I use it AND recommend it. I'm technically a "distributor" but I don't pay extra and I get a discount. I do not sell it, I refuse to, I just buy it for myself and use it. I've lost about 12 pounds on it so far, and I have learned portion control through my own healthy dinners. I don't take the pills though, they are gross and I don't believe in miracle pills. However, a meal replacement shake from herbalife is great quality and works if you stick to it. Tastes good and makes ya feel good.

I've lost 10lb just by eating less rubbish and moving a bit more. No expensive shakes or supplements needed.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Not that I support herbalife,but the notion that 3 anomalies qualifies as causation is a bit disturbing; especially considering the links between herbalife and liver issues happened in 2010. A time period in which a ton of protein shakes were linked to high levels of heavy metals. And this doesn't even take into consideration how often the formula has been changed (this goes for all protein shakes).

Do I think it's worth the money.. no, but I feel the same way about all MLM and over priced protein shakes. Are they quality.. I can't say because I haven't seen any independent research.

But if it's a product that helps people get on track and get fit, and they don't mind spending the money, then it's fine.

I was thinking the same thing, I haven't seen any evidence other than that one study of 3 people (and I think only 2 of them had used Herbalife products) of liver issues being linked to Herbalife. Still not my thing, but if it helps them and they want to spend the money, that's their business.
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    From a sports therapist type I know: "The only people who ever have anything good to say about Herbalife are those trying to sell it."

Hmmm, I'm not someone who sells it and I use it AND recommend it. I'm technically a "distributor" but I don't pay extra and I get a discount. I do not sell it, I refuse to, I just buy it for myself and use it. I've lost about 12 pounds on it so far, and I have learned portion control through my own healthy dinners. I don't take the pills though, they are gross and I don't believe in miracle pills. However, a meal replacement shake from herbalife is great quality and works if you stick to it. Tastes good and makes ya feel good.

So the fact it's been linked to liver damage doesn't concern you?

I've yet to see one solid research article linking the liver damage to herbalife, or a direct ingredient in the shakes. Herbalife makes millions feel great and lose weight, but misinformed people get on their high horse and automatically hate herbalife and judge those who use it successfully.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    As a young thing I answered an ad in the paper for a job, turned out to be an elderly couple selling Herbalife. I'd never heard of it and stupidly went to a thing, one of those rah-rah rallies, where some dude gave me an "herbal drink" in which the herb was ephedra, and I got the hard sell while I was completely high. Fortunately I had no money so couldn't buy in. Nope. I don't like Herbalife.
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I've yet to see one solid research article linking the liver damage to herbalife, or a direct ingredient in the shakes. Herbalife makes millions feel great and lose weight, but misinformed people get on their high horse and automatically hate herbalife and judge those who use it successfully.

So then why is the FTC pursuing a 200million dollar settlement against them for false claims/advertising? Along with pretty much calling them a pyramid scheme?

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2016/07/its-no-longer-business-usual-herbalife-inside-look-200

It's not on the product itself but the people who pitch it (average Joe distributors with no training) for the cause of suing. Claiming it cures diseases and stuff which it doesn't, just a weight loss aid. The product is fine.
  • Turb2o
    Turb2o Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's a pyramid scheme
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Not that I support herbalife,but the notion that 3 anomalies qualifies as causation is a bit disturbing; especially considering the links between herbalife and liver issues happened in 2010. A time period in which a ton of protein shakes were linked to high levels of heavy metals. And this doesn't even take into consideration how often the formula has been changed (this goes for all protein shakes).

Do I think it's worth the money.. no, but I feel the same way about all MLM and over priced protein shakes. Are they quality.. I can't say because I haven't seen any independent research.

But if it's a product that helps people get on track and get fit, and they don't mind spending the money, then it's fine.

I was thinking the same thing, I haven't seen any evidence other than that one study of 3 people (and I think only 2 of them had used Herbalife products) of liver issues being linked to Herbalife. Still not my thing, but if it helps them and they want to spend the money, that's their business.

No one is going up to happy Herbalife users and giving unsolicited opinions here. They are responding to an OP that is specifically asking about it so obviously it's not private business.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    May I ask does anyone use herbalife and what does everyone think

I do not use it, and I think it's an MLM scam.

If you want to lose weight, create a calorie deficit. This can be done without special products. :)
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2016
    Options

But, by the same token......

The OP did ask for opinions in a public forum.

In reality, how often do products such as this help people to create sustainable habits that help them manage their weight on a long term basis?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    As a young thing I answered an ad in the paper for a job, turned out to be an elderly couple selling Herbalife. I'd never heard of it and stupidly went to a thing, one of those rah-rah rallies, where some dude gave me an "herbal drink" in which the herb was ephedra, and I got the hard sell while I was completely high. Fortunately I had no money so couldn't buy in. Nope. I don't like Herbalife.

This is interesting.

About 20 some odd years ago I took this powder-drink product that had in it, and it made my heart feel like it was jumping out of my chest. I wonder if it was herbalife.

My roomate at the time loved it, but after a few times I swore never to touch it again (and I didn't).
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had a boss who used Herbal Life for about nine months, he didn't lose a pound.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Herbalife sells tons of products. None of them have been clinically shown to be effective. My roommate freshman year of college bought most of them. I had zero counterspace because there were probably around 30 bottles of who knows what cluttering everything up. I can't even imagine the number of random chemicals and fillers her poor liver had to sift through (whether healthy or not, it's a lot of work for no reason). She never lost weight. Gained even (yay freshman 15!).

She did, however, need to borrow money all the time from her parents because she never "had any money".
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

So then why is the FTC pursuing a 200million dollar settlement against them for false claims/advertising? Along with pretty much calling them a pyramid scheme?

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2016/07/its-no-longer-business-usual-herbalife-inside-look-200

It's funny, the Herbalife stock actually jumped up after that ruling over $10 a share, because despite the restructuring and fine, the FTC didn'tlabel them a Pyramid scheme.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

In reality, how often do products such as this help people to create sustainable habits that help them manage their weight on a long term basis?

Probably the same success rate as all other programs, which includes calorie counting, carb counting, etc...
  • auddii
    Options

Probably the same success rate as all other programs, which includes calorie counting, carb counting, etc...

Luckily counting calories does not cost extra money or include putting unknown substances/ingredients into your body.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Herbalife sells tons of products. None of them have been clinically shown to be effective. My roommate freshman year of college bought most of them. I had zero counterspace because there were probably around 30 bottles of who knows what cluttering everything up. I can't even imagine the number of random chemicals and fillers her poor liver had to sift through (whether healthy or not, it's a lot of work for no reason). She never lost weight. Gained even (yay freshman 15!).

She did, however, need to borrow money all the time from her parents because she never "had any money".

How many products out there, do you know are independently clinically tested and results are publicly released? Little to none? At best, we hope that this companies don't use fillers and what is on the back of the bottle is actually what is in the bottle. The only excepts are ones certified by outside organizations, which is really difficult to find.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Luckily counting calories does not cost extra money or include putting unknown substances/ingredients into your body.

Does Trutein release all the information on their supplement?
  • auddii
    Options

How many products out there, do you know are independently clinically tested and results are publicly released? Little to none? At best, we hope that this companies don't use fillers and what is on the back of the bottle is actually what is in the bottle. The only excepts are ones certified by outside organizations, which is really difficult to find.

This is very true. But again, if a product truly worked well, there would not be as many obese people as there are. Plenty of overweight people would throw money at a product that works. And Herbalife has been around for a while (I was a freshman 16 years ago now, and it wasn't a new product then). There have been millions of people who have taken it. I don't recall seeing millions of success stories.

And nevermind that EVERY product sold comes with the caveat of "when used in combination with a healthy diet and lifestyle". A healthy diet and lifestyle works all on it's own. No products needed.