Torn Plantar Fascia - I've tried everything! HELP!

Options
13»

Replies

• sandyskw1967
    sandyskw1967 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My hubby has PF, he did the whole see the orthopaedic foot doctor thing, they did make him an orthotic for his work boots but also wanted to sell him a pair of sandals for around the house for $400. We ended up just getting him a pair of Birkenstocks and they work like a dream for him. I myself have haunts syndrome and they wanted me to spend $400 on orthotics, $200-400 on ugly shoes, $100 a week on some ultrasound treatments or something weird like that for weeks, would have put me in the poorhouse, I so wear Birkenstocks none stop pretty well, they help immensely, not 100 percent, but more like 80 pretty well and some days are better or worse, but doctor did,t not guarantee any type of pain relief with me spending all that money, and I also stand all day on my feet the days I work and have be able to excercise, mind you I stay away from high impact so I don,t injure worse.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    ssaraj43 wrote: »
    Have you tried going barefoot whenever possible? Google it and see what you find on the subject. Some doctors/patience swear by others say definitely no. Some people use vibram 5 fingers. I'm sorry your going through this. I just wanted to put something else out there before you go the steriod or surgery route. Massage is good to,not as mean as the PT:-)

Those barefoot shoes Vibram, just lost a huge lawsuit. Apparently, they are a scam, and were never designed to be healthy for your feet. So many people bought into it, that they kept marketing it. I suspect that will change :)

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/2171-vibram-fivefingers-barefoot-running-shoes-class-action-lawsuit/

• akshayorthofeet
    akshayorthofeet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I had a small problem in the first week with the shoe rubbing against the tendon in the back of my leg. I developed quite the blister :( After the shoe stretched a bit, all was good. The Chicane is so comfortable to wear and that's a good thing because I work on a cement floors and do a lot of standing and walking. orthofeet shoes are a godsend in my opinion.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I have it. It is much better now than it used to be but any time I go on vacation and do a lot of walking in the wrong shoes it flares up. Arch supports have helped. I had custom orthotics made which helped some. Fitflop shoes helped also. When it was very bad the only thing that helped was resting and not walking much.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The main suggestion I have is go slow. ANY shoes are going to make an injury hurt worse if you wear them all day the first time you wear them. Back off exercising for a while.

If it were me I would get the cortisone shot and just lay off completely for about three weeks. You aren't going to reinjure while doing nothing, and five months with no progress is a long time. You might also ask about prescription strength naproxen - just three days was like a miracle when I was having issues, it stopped the cycle of inflammation leading to more injury.

I'm going to go against every doctor's advice here and say what cured me permanently - going barefoot, doing lots of calf raises, and losing 120 lbs. All the Ortho-recommended insert support stuff was making my feet weaker and in the long term hurt worse, while strengthening my feet made them permanently better.