Barcode versus Package Label Nutritional Values

Options
AMRROL
AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
Which do you think is the most accurate? Often I find that the barcode when scanned, comes in much lower that the values noted on the product packaging. Example, a chicken leg quarter when the barcode is scanned results in calories of 150 per 100 grams. The package lists it as 185 calories per 100 grams. And the USDA site has it a 176 calories per 100 grams. I know that these are not big differences based on 100 grams, but the average chicken leg quarter weighs much more than 100 grams, so it does add up.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Trust the package, the barcode info is entered by other MFP users and the product can differ between areas.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The barcode just links to an MFP data entry which could be incorrect. It can even be the wrong product in some cases. Usually I find the barcode works well but occasionally MFPer's have put in the per serving data and called it per 100g or something along those lines, so I scan to do the heavy lifting then check the label and tweak accordingly.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'd go by the packaging, I've come across barcodes that have linked to entirely different products. I'm sure there's no REAL way of knowing precisely due to there being so many variables, but the packaging should be close enough.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends. Always the packaging over a scanned code, but I double check with USDA values because sometimes packages are wrong too (45 calories for 3oz of shrimp on a bag bought at Walmart - nope).
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    AMRROL wrote: »
    Which do you think is the most accurate? Often I find that the barcode when scanned, comes in much lower that the values noted on the product packaging. Example, a chicken leg quarter when the barcode is scanned results in calories of 150 per 100 grams. The package lists it as 185 calories per 100 grams. And the USDA site has it a 176 calories per 100 grams. I know that these are not big differences based on 100 grams, but the average chicken leg quarter weighs much more than 100 grams, so it does add up.

I'll scan the barcode, and if what's on MFP doesn't reflect the label I go with the label, as there has most likely been a recipe change and the MFP entry hasn't been updated yet (had this problem with my grapefruit juice recently).
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I manually enter all my foods from the packaging and don't save them to the database. That way I know they're accurate and won't be edited by another MFP user.