Fighting Tooth and Nail Over Every Pound Lost

Options
Why is it that I feel as though I'm dying when I eat the proper amount of calories and healthy foods, while combining that with exercise? If I am only losing a pound over several months, is it really necessary for my body to protest so loudly? What can I do to fight back to the hunger pangs?

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    All calorie deficit is just that. As long as you will be losing weight, you will not be feeding your body the calories it needs. You must be at a deficit of calories, in other words not enough calories for your body at your current weight and hieght, in order to lose weight.
    For me, more exscersize means more hunger, and the 'earned' calories don't ever seem to be enough to satisfyextra hunger generated by the excersize.
    So you get to choose, hunger or weight loss.
    Thats pretty much it.
    Sometimes people find eating more protien curbs hunger, for others carbs do the trick, even choclate candy will be satiating for some. Its a bit of an experiment and takes a bit of time to find how it works for you personally.
    Best wishes.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I second that you don't have to be hungry to lose weight. Start by picking foods that take up more volume to fill you up...lot's of whole foods. Also, you may be under-eating. How many calories are you eating/day? If you're bottomed out end not making steady progress, you should start slowly working your intake up. Also, doing more fats and protein in your diet will make you be fuller.
  • MrsBaaadger
    MrsBaaadger Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    All calorie deficit is just that. As long as you will be losing weight, you will not be feeding your body the calories it needs. You must be at a deficit of calories, in other words not enough calories for your body at your current weight and hieght, in order to lose weight.
    For me, more exscersize means more hunger, and the 'earned' calories don't ever seem to be enough to satisfyextra hunger generated by the excersize.
    Thats pretty much it.
    Sometimes people find eating more protien curbs hunger, for others carbs do the trick, even choclate candy will be satiating for some. Its a bit of an experiment and takes a bit of time to find how it works for you personally.
    Best wishes.

I don't agree with this at all...I have not been hungry during my weight loss and you don't have to be hungry all the time.

If you are hungry it's time to look at how big of a deficit you have...what you are eating and if it's really hunger.

To feel fuller longer eat more protein and fats...

If you aren't losing as fast as you think you should maybe look at your logging as well.

Totally agree! I'm almost at my target of 4 stone lost since January this year, I should reach my target in about 1 month averaging 2lbs a week throughout. I've not felt hungry, I've not craved and I can actually say I've enjoyed myself! I don't exercise enough which is something I'm working on so I've mainly lost but sticking the MFP's recommendation for 1200 calories a day. The one thing most people forget is to drink enough water, on top of other beverages. I started drinking a lot of water right from the start and I am convinced it kept both the hunger and cravings away. It was almost like a drug as I felt so good and had so much energy.
    You will get there, make sure you are drinking plenty of water (not just tea/coffee/carbonates/juice etc) and log everything you eat.
  • empmmurray
    empmmurray Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water!!! It helps a lot!
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thats pretty much it.
    Best wishes.

I don't agree with this at all...I have not been hungry during my weight loss and you don't have to be hungry all the time.

If you are hungry it's time to look at how big of a deficit you have...what you are eating and if it's really hunger.

If you aren't losing as fast as you think you should maybe look at your logging as well.

Totally agree! I'm almost at my target of 4 stone lost since January this year, I should reach my target in about 1 month averaging 2lbs a week. I've not felt hungry, I've not craved and I can actually say I've enjoyed myself! I don't exercise enough which is something I'm working on so I've mainly lost but sticking the MFP's recommendation for 1200 calories a day. The one thing most people forget is to drink enough water, on top of other beverages. I started drinking a lot of water right from the start and I am convinces it kept both the hunger and cravings away. It was almost like a drug as I felt so good and had so much energy.
    You will get there, make sure you are drinking plenty of water (not just tea/coffee/carbonates/juice rec) and log everything you eat.

wow 4 stone since Jan! did you have any plateaus along the way?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Some people are hungry when cutting back and some aren't. Just because certain individuals are not doesn't invalidate OP's experience with hunger.

again if you are hungry the chances are one of the following is true

too big of a deficit
    types of foods
    not knowing hunger from appetite

and I didn't see anyone invalidate it just letting them know they don't have to be hungry to lose weight.
  • MrsBaaadger
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    Thats pretty much it.
    Best wishes.

Totally agree! I'm almost at my target of 4 stone lost since January this year, I should reach my target in about 1 month averaging 2lbs a week. I've not felt hungry, I've not craved and I can actually say I've enjoyed myself! I don't exercise enough which is something I'm working on so I've mainly lost but sticking the MFP's recommendation for 1200 calories a day. The one thing most people forget is to drink enough water, on top of other beverages. I started drinking a lot of water right from the start and I am convinces it kept both the hunger and cravings away. It was almost like a drug as I felt so good and had so much energy.
    You will get there, make sure you are drinking plenty of water (not just tea/coffee/carbonates/juice rec) and log everything you eat.

wow 4 stone sonce Jan! did you have any plateau's along the way?

Only once around my birthday which lasted a few weeks but I was still losing even if it was only 0.5lb. I've only had 1 weigh in where I've gained and it was less than 0.5lb!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
    People will help you find mistakes you may be making.
    Opinion - 90% of the battle is eating right. Exercise for health and to feel good.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Open your diary.
    People will help you find mistakes you may be making.
    Opinion - 90% of the battle is eating right. Exercise for health and to feel good.

define "eating right"
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Some people are hungry when cutting back and some aren't. Just because certain individuals are not doesn't invalidate OP's experience with hunger.

too big of a deficit
    types of foods

and I didn't see anyone invalidate it just letting them know they don't have to be hungry to lose weight.

I'm seeing "I'm not hungry" from other people responding and interpreting it to mean "so you don't need to either". She is experiencing hunger but not everyone does is my only point.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    Thats pretty much it.
    Best wishes.

wow 4 stone sonce Jan! did you have any plateau's along the way?

Only once around my birthday which lasted a few weeks but I was still losing even if it was only 0.5lb. I've only had 1 weigh in where I've gained and it was less than 0.5lb!

Amazing!
  • MrsBaaadger
    Options

too big of a deficit
    types of foods

I'm seeing "I'm not hungry" from other people responding and interpreting it to mean "so you don't need to either". She is experiencing hunger but not everyone does is my only point.

Good point, everyone is different. Nice to get some tips from others for ways not to feel hungry though :-)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    seyhell wrote: »
    Why is it that I feel as though I'm dying when I eat the proper amount of calories and healthy foods, while combining that with exercise? If I am only losing a pound over several months, is it really necessary for my body to protest so loudly? What can I do to fight back to the hunger pangs?

I Have To Fight to Lose Every Pound also. It is a battle as my body wants to put back anything I lose back on.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I envy the people who can lose weight without feeling hungry. I can pretty much guarantee for me that past a certain weight (not *anywhere* near underweight), a certain amount of hunger is inevitable to lose. It makes the sustainability of lower weights really questionable for me, but I am still trying to see if I can figure out a way to get to AND sustain my "optimal" weight.

I have the opposite reaction as gamliela to most exercise, it helps me be less hungry overall and I get to eat more calories and still lose at the desired rate. So you might have to experiment with that to see how it makes you feel (and even within exercise, low intensity vs. high intensity vs. strength, etc.)

Fiber and veggies can bulk out meals and that helps a bit. Make sure your protein is high enough. Are you drinking enough water?

Meal timing can help (do multiple smaller meals or fewer but bigger meals satisfy you more?)
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm generally not hungry either... not a judgment, just a difference. When I overeat, it's usually temptation winning over goals.

That being said, maybe those of us who aren't hungry while in a calorie deficit have some advice worth hearing.

Annnd this is where I get bashed for encouraging "clean" eating along with calories in vs calories out... Calories matter. Oh yes, they matter. At the same time, I am hungrier on the days I decide to eat a sandwich (within my calories) rather than a big salad, baked chicken, onion soup, broccoli, and cottage cheese for the same amount of calories. I know there isn't a clear definition of clean eating; we all have to find what works for us individually. You can eat MORE food though, when you skip the alcohol, the pop tart, the chips, or whatever it is that's calorie dense but less filling.

For those who have been successful eating those things, that's awesome. I'm not saying it's wrong... for you. However, different things can help different people, and I'm just offering one suggestion that's helped me :)

To the original poster, good luck, and you can do this! You have many people who are here to help you along your journey, and many great suggestions. :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I can't even see @seyhell food diary. So if her first post in her first discussion is complaining about something she doesn't allow us to see, I'm not going to engage here.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna agree with the folks here saying that if you're hungry, either you have too large of a deficit or you need to consider different foods. I too lose weight without hunger. BUT, I've taken the time to experiment a little to see what kinds of food keep me feeling "full" and satisfied and not hungry longest.

The gist of MFP is a calorie is a calorie when it comes to a deficit to drive weightloss. However, what foods you choose does in fact have an effect on your blood sugar levels and how satisfied you feel.

Some thoughts to try (since we don't know your particular habits and style, if you're already doing one of these, then you could try the opposite. We're all different, and we all handle "hunger" different):

Eat smaller meals more often. // Eat 2-3 larger meals per day with no/little snacking
    Skip breakfast // Eat a BIG breakfast
    Don't eat after 4 pm // Save calories for an evening snack/reward
    Eat high fat/low carb // Eat low fat high carb
    Exercise in the morning // Exercise at night
    "Eat back" your exercise calories // Don't eat back your exercise calories
    Eat "slower" carbs // have something sweet with meals to activate the "reward" center of your brain
    Eat only when you're truly hungry // stop paying attention to hunger cues and eat on a specific schedule
  • SezxyStef
    Options

too big of a deficit
    types of foods

that's is your interpretation.

you seem to miss the part where it says "you don't need to be hungry" and missing where the questions about deficit and types of foods being eaten are asked.

And if you are hungry I will ask the same questions of you...what is your deficit? are you eating enough "filling foods"

For example...I am peckish right now so I will eat a greek yogurt. Lots of protein and low calories and it will get me to my lunch.

Same thing will happen at about 4pm...so again greek yogurt.

But I eat a lot of protein, fats and don't choose too lose to much too fast and have a steep deficit...