Sitting on an exercise ball at work?

Options
Hello,

I sit at a desk 8 hours a day, most days. I can cope, I just feel kind of achy sometimes and I feel like I could be putting my body to better use. Standing desk is not an option right now due to funds and current office set-up. Somebody suggested sitting on an exercise ball. I'm skeptical. I think this is something I would probably try and then it would sit in the corner for years before I got rid of it. Does anybody here sit on an exercise ball at work? Do you like it? Have you been doing it for a long time? Pros/Cons? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Co-workers do. I did, but my budget allowed for a Varidesk. It definitely helps with your core/posture. I found myself too tall for it to be comfortable for 10 hours, plus I just kept bouncing around and goofing off on it (zero productivity).

It is better than sitting at a chair though, and you're not investing $500 on it, so what do you have to lose? Try it out and take the ball back home if you don't like it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Talk to HR - see if you are even allowed to bring one to work. It may be a safety issue. Personally I think the perceived benefit is overblown. Don't get a ball that's fixed to a chair....those have even less benefit.

I like to walk during my lunch break. I keep an MP3 player, sneakers, under arm deodorant & baby wipes in my desk drawer. On stifling, hot days I will drive to the (large) home improvement store across the street.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I just upgraded to a standing desk (with an appropriately tall chair) - and I love it. I stand more than half my day.

With that not being an option for you, why not try the stability ball/chair? Worst case you don't like it. Right?
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Does your workplace have an office ergonomics program? A lot of companies do that now.

I would assume whatever aches/pains you're experiencing won't be fixed by using an exercise ball. In general, the reason people ache at their desk is due to a workstation that isn't fit for them (desk height, chair height, monitor distance, etc.).

There are excellent resources online that show how you should be sitting and how your desk should be set up. In addition, getting up to walk around once every hour or so can really help.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have 2, one with sand inside, not sure why

but sitting on it, your body has to use core muscles to keep you sat on it, because you have to keep your balance, whereas on a chair, you just sit on it, and maybe rest against the back
  • lolosensan2
    lolosensan2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice! I think I'll give the ball a try. And moving my body every hour. Sounds much better than what I'm currently doing :smile:
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I would be nervous if my face hit the keyboard and it would fit.
    Can you drink extra water throughout the day and take many walks to the bathroom? Then you're hydrating yourself and getting up moving around at the same time.
    My friend used a "ball chair" for two weeks and switched back to a regular chair.