Long term (and I mean LONG TERM) exercise!

Options

Replies

• Savannahmiamaddie
    Savannahmiamaddie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'll be 65 next February. I'm always shocked when I think about my age because I don't feel old. When I exercise, I vary my activities. When I work out on my elliptical , I work out for 55 minutes, I have several step aerobic routines I do on a regular basis, I walk my dog, I walk up and down 7 flights of stairs at work 5 days per week (350 steps up and 350 steps down). I try to do cardio of some sort 5-6 days per week. I also don't consider it a good workout if I'm not drenched in sweat at the end of the workout. I do strength training 3x per week using dumb bells and resistance bands. I'm looking forward to retirement next year so that I can kick it up a notch. I'll let ya' all know when I get "old". Gotta' go, it's time to jump on the elliptical.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think a whole lot of what you can do in your advanced years has a whole lot to do with what you did in your less-advanced years. Of course, there are exceptions, but I think it's generally true.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    For the sake of argument, I am going to consider over-50 years as old age.
    My wife, who is 51, runs. In the past few years, she has run at least four marathons, and now, in the past year, she has been injured for most of the year, with slightly different ailments, mostly related to a stiff and achy, lower back.
    My point is: Many of us tend to get locked in to one type of exercise that we like to do, and after a while the toll from doing the same thing over and over begins to add up. Sometimes the key to staying active long is to recognize this fact.
    I have been trying to talk my wife into doing something different -- preferably something with a bit less pounding -- for at least six months. Maybe rowing. Maybe biking. Let the tissues rest. Let the little things heal. You can go back. But sometimes you have to rest from a repetitive motion.
    I remember hearing Serena Williams say one time that she felt that one of the reasons she was still going strong at the advanced [ahem] age of 33 years (then) was because she was injured for a year and the time off allowed her body to rest.
    I think the older you get the better off you are if you mix it up a bit.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I came to a bit of a slap in the face the beginning of the year when I tried dead lifting like I did 20 years back and had some injury issues. That said, while loads and progression might stop or diminish I will still being doing the same exercises, even if it is only body weight.

As an example, when I was doing personal training and some therapy work with a90 year old cardiac rehab client, I worked extensively with his doctor to develop a program to increase strength and mobility. The older gentleman's goal was, "to get back up on his horse himself." I start working in the pool doing super low impact work and after several months he came around nicely. Same exercise you and I do without weight, but in a pool the extra ballast and natural resistance worked excellent.

That said, I will play tennis until I die!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I plan to be that fit, crazy 80 year old they make meme's about...Weights, cardio, the works....I live by the adage "Use it or Lose it"!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My dad, who is 82, plays tennis twice a week in the summer and pickleball (which I haven't tried yet but seems to be all the rage amongst retirees) in the winter. He walks on his treadmill (or outside if weather permits) and does strength training several times a week. He has zero health problems. No meds at all. What's most interesting about him though is that he was completely sedentary and overweight until he turned 70! Good genes carried him through I guess, but the lack of activity seems to have spared wear and tear on his joints.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think a whole lot of what you can do in your advanced years has a whole lot to do with what you did in your less-advanced years. Of course, there are exceptions, but I think it's generally true.

Good point. If you tear your body up when you're younger, it catches up with you when you get older. There's also a psychological component to it - some people consider themselves "too old" for physical activity long before they truly are.

I think just about any reasonable exercise regimen can be carried into your "golden years" provided that you scale it properly and take the appropriate precautions. I see plenty of people in their 60s-80s lifting weights in the gym, out on the biking/running trails, kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, etc. In fact, strength training is recommended for seniors to help stave off osteoporosis and sarcopenia, as well as helping with proprioreception (balance) and mobility.

I overheard a guy in the gym today who was telling another member that he's 64 years old and has bad shoulders. He said he has to get in the gym and lift weights a few times a week because if he doesn't keep his shoulders strong and mobile, they lock up on him and he can't do anything.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    What do you consider sustainable exercise?

Who do you know, or know of, who is still exercising at advanced age, and what do they do? How long have they done it?

My father started cycling when he was a boy ... and is still cycling in his 70s.

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I belong to a medically oriented gym and I seem to be the youngest person there. I'm 47. Most are in their 70-80's. They use the weight machines, treadmills, free weights, etc. Some are there because they have injured themselves, but there are a lot of them there for their health and strength.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    True sustainable exercise isn't always requiring a lot of strength or muscle, so i see people 75 plus playing doubles ping pong, swimming, senior yoga, pool, doubles tennis, pickle ball , bowling and of course....walking.

Everything listed above is good also but what i see sometimes is ppl who have done basically nothing and they want to exercise ..so the choices need to be within the grasp of a novice and fun helps too.

Many of the 70+ crowd play card games...poker, bunco, canasta, mahjong etc....so many in that group do nothing physical but you're right. Many gyms offer inexpensive senior daytime sessions of weight training, aerobics etc.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    My father is 80 next year and still walks 5 - 10k each day, usually about 4k in the morning for exercise and rest doing errands around town. And rides his pushbike too, though I'm encouraging him to give that a break for a while as he apparently has a cracked rib from a fall while he was walking recently!

There's an ironman competition held in his town and I often go down for the weekend and watch part of the race with him. Usually we get out of bed in time to see the last part of the swimming leg and each time I've cheered on a man from Japan who I think has competed in the over 70 category for some years now. There are usually a number over 60s with some over 65, 70 and I'm sure there was someone who was late 70s one year.

That really is impressive, as it's such a long, hard, event with time cutoffs.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    As an old fart of 58 myself, I know many "old folks" who participate in endurance sports successfully. Several examples come to mind. My friend Deb started triathlons at 62 and is faster now at 68 years old than when she started. (Deb runs an 8:00 mile pace during the 5k leg of a sprint distance tri). Steve in my tri club is 61 and he often finishes near the top of his age group in races. His swim, bike and run times are very fast(20mph moving ave on the bike, then sub 7:00mile run pace) , putting him well up in the standings among ALL age group competitors. I typically see a number of folks in the 70-74 and 75-79 age group at races, but my real inspiration was the gentleman lined up at the start of a race last year. His leg marking (designating sex/age) read: M88. THAT is what I'm shooting for.

As far as maintaining performance as we age, it seems that we must "use it or lose it", and that means pushing hard, not just doing easy cardio work. With this in mind, I believe that key to success (certainly for racing fast) is to continue performing High Intensity sessions as a way to build and/or maintain speed for as long as possible. The challenge is that recovery from these sessions takes more time. So many of the best aging athletes spend a lot of time building their training programs around the proper amount of recovery work. This allows them to recover from high intensity sessions sufficiently to be ready to go hard during the next scheduled hard workout. A couple of my friends have now changed from a 7 day to a 9 day training cycle. This allows for 3 high intensity days surrounded by 2 low intensity or rest days during each "week".

This is probably TMI for most. For the few who are similarly obsessed, a good read on this subject is Joe Friel's "Fast after 50".

• Djproulx
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I did Jazzercise with two ladies over 80 :)
    I do wonder about genetics vs behavior though...why do some people wear out so bad, and others seem to be helped so much by activity?

I believe strongly that behaviors are the key. Two specific areas: 1) consistent diet and exercise regimen and 2) careful maintenance of our bodies as we age. This means focusing on things like injury prevention through a disciplined approach to recovery, stretching, foam rolling, etcetera. The "exercise overhead" becomes greater as we age, both in terms of the warm up/cool down portions of a workout as well as icing/stretching routines designed to maintain flexibility and relieve muscle inflammation.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 with OA for many years. I have to exercise or I "freeze up". 5 yrs ago I told my brother-in-law (a cardiologist) that the way I was going I'd be in a wheelchair in a few years (and I've always been active-swimming). 3 yrs ago I found MFP. I was so inspired by the people on here, old and young, some with handicaps, that had success stories. Instead of doing less as I was aging, I was inspired to do more. So, I started pushing myself--alittle faster, a few more reps, try new things. Know what? I feel great. I'm in better shape than I was, 8 kilos lost (18 lbs lost), I've learned to watch my macros and especially hit my proteins and fats. I'm still learning and trying, and pushing, thanks to all of you. That's the key to excercise in old age--enjoy and don't be afraid to try.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ernestine Shepherd is in her 80s now

This is her at 74
    Ernestine+Shepherd.jpg

Ray Moon at 84

ray_moon_01.jpg

Willie Murphy at 77

738716.0.williemurphy_featured.jpg

it's all in your attitude
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    For the sake of argument, I am going to consider over-50 years as old age.
    My wife, who is 51, runs. In the past few years, she has run at least four marathons, and now, in the past year, she has been injured for most of the year, with slightly different ailments, mostly related to a stiff and achy, lower back.
    My point is: Many of us tend to get locked in to one type of exercise that we like to do, and after a while the toll from doing the same thing over and over begins to add up. Sometimes the key to staying active long is to recognize this fact.
    I have been trying to talk my wife into doing something different -- preferably something with a bit less pounding -- for at least six months. Maybe rowing. Maybe biking. Let the tissues rest. Let the little things heal. You can go back. But sometimes you have to rest from a repetitive motion.
    I remember hearing Serena Williams say one time that she felt that one of the reasons she was still going strong at the advanced [ahem] age of 33 years (then) was because she was injured for a year and the time off allowed her body to rest.
    I think the older you get the better off you are if you mix it up a bit.

also you @tufel

get out of here ;)
  • joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    One of our water exercise ladies just turned 100 years old. She comes to class every Monday, Wednesday and Friday no matter what the weather is... she is sharp as a tack... and still drives herself here!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My Dad is 83 and he works out @ his gym 4 days a week. He's always exercised - when I was a kid he ran everyday and rode his bike. He used to run and bike in a lot of local races. He doesn't run anymore - he still bikes a bit, and he lifts weights. He is truly an inspiration to me!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    What do you consider sustainable exercise?
    I consider 30-60 minutes a day sustainable. I've exercised at this level since I was a teenager - so that's 30+ years of exercising at this level. Sometimes I do more (long hikes, throw in an hour of yoga, etc). I exercised at this level when I was at my heaviest (235 lbs) and at my current and lightest weight (135 lbs).

Who do you know, or know of, who is still exercising at advanced age, and what do they do? How long have they done it?
    My parents are 73 (mom) and 75 (dad). They both go to the gym regularly. Mom favors TRX, stationary bike, walking, and kayaking. My dad lifts weights, skis, hikes, plays competitive tennis, and is on a champion senior-Olympic level basketball team. All the guys he plays tennis and basketball with are 65 or older. They have both been lifelong exercisers. My mom was a ranked professional tennis player in her teens.

What do you consider unsustainable exercise? What would break you down over time instead of maintaining you?
    I think this varies from person to person. Some people have a capacity to do more - I have a friend who runs ultra-marathons. He's run at least 6 miles a day -usually much more - every day for 8 years. I couldn't withstand that much pavement pounding every day without suffering orthopedic problems. When I was in my early twenties, I did 90 minutes of cardio and lifted for an hour every day. That, paired with a low calorie diet, had lasting negative health consequences (bone density loss being the primary consequence). It was overtraining.

And do you think that what you do trumps genetics, or do you think that the old people who are athletes are genetically gifted and that's how they are able to continue so long?
    No - I do not believe you have to be genetically gifted to be an older exerciser. My mom exercises and pushes through LOTS of pain. She has extreme osteoarthritis - far worse than what is considered normal for a person her age. She has had severe arthritis since she was in her mid-30's. She has had three joint replacement surgeries, but she keeps pushing to be a regular exerciser. My dad suffers from a serious autoimmune disease that causes muscle weakness and stiffness. He has also suffered lots of sports-related injuries that he has pushed to come back from (multiple ACL/MCL repairs, torn bicep, torn rotator cuff, etc)

Also anything else you want to add, of course.
    Of course there are genetic and luck-of-the-draw factors that impact how much you can exercise at any age, but in most cases the primary factor is willpower and a desire to remain active.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    Also anything else you want to add, of course.
    Of course there are genetic and luck-of-the-draw factors that impact how much you can exercise at any age, but in most cases the primary factor is willpower and a desire to remain active.

Well said. Nailed it!