Girl who needs to get bigger (toned)

Options
I am currently 110 lbs, 5' 4" stick thin. I really need to know the right foods to start eating to gain more weight and tone my body. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    "Tone" is a matter of exercise.
    How many calories to you eat a day?
  • lilygarcia3
    lilygarcia3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you. I wanna gain first and then start exercising. I'm trying on healthy foods though cause gaining with sweets was horrible! I suggest smoothies 1-2x and peanut butter on snacks.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Eat TDEE+250 calories for +0.5lbs per week or +2lbs per month (weight fluctuates, but this should be the average trend). While eating at a surplus, lift weights 3x a week or more. Look up good programs for your goal (strong curves is a good one). Proper nutrition while lifting are essential to each other to achieve the body you want.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Law0089 wrote: »
    I am currently 110 lbs, 5' 4" stick thin. I really need to know the right foods to start eating to gain more weight and tone my body. Any suggestions?

Food wont tone your body. Tone is a fancy word for low body fat and good body composition. If you want to gain muscle, you will want to eat in a surplus and follow a progressive overload weight training program, like one of these (strongcurves is a fav of a lot of women). After you gain about 10-20 lbs, you transition to a slow cut and work on losing the fat you just gained and maintain the muscle. Repeat until you have the body you want.

nothing more needs to be said. This is the real deal right here.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I still have yet to figure out how to tone my body like I would a musical instrument...
  • AngelaMee1
    AngelaMee1 Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

"Tone" will happen when you gain more muscle in your body.

This man is an invaluable resource and has changed my life. His website is free but he offers a book if you want to continue. http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-ultimate-fitness-plan-for-women/

Another great resource ishttp://www.iifym.com/ or If It Fits Your Macros, which will help lay out a plan for you as well.

I am directing you there in case your body type / needs / metabolism / etc are different than mine. I can only tell you what worked for me.

I just finished a bulk. I was at 2500 calories for 4 months (my maintenance is 2000). I have slight absorption issues so my protein is a little high to make up for it, but again, this is just what worked for me:

200 Grams a day / protein = 800 calories (30%)
    300 Grams a day / carbs = 1200 calories (50%)
    60 Grams a day / fat = 540 calories (20%)

Total 2540 calories. It is tough for me to stick to 20% fats so I am not religious about it (but I do try!). If I eat a little too much fat I cut out a little carbs, etc.

I gained 15 lbs over a course of 5 months and I have not gained any fat. But again this is just what works for me.

Best of luck!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Do you know your bodyfat %?

I am taller, 5'9" but went from 123lb to 136lb over two years, maintained at 20% bodyfat, by doing yoga and other bodyweight exercises to build muscle. Weightlifting is probably faster, mine was just a natural progression toward more muscle, not an intentional bulk necessarily, I was happy at the slightly underweight point too.

You will put on some fat along with muscle, if you bulk, it's pretty much inevitable. But you still might look better.

Since my starting point was about like yours, maybe you can do the same thing? I found it was more about exercise than diet, you have to build the muscle to have muscle tone. My appetite just adjusted itself, truthfully.

If you are already counting calories, then add slowly while you work out heavy, until you start seeing gains.

Thinner Leaner Stronger book has a good plan in it, it's not just for those getting thinner, he talks a lot about going from skinny to fit too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AngelaMee1 wrote: »

This man is an invaluable resource and has changed my life. His website is free but he offers a book if you want to continue. http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-ultimate-fitness-plan-for-women/

Another great resource ishttp://www.iifym.com/ or If It Fits Your Macros, which will help lay out a plan for you as well.

I am directing you there in case your body type / needs / metabolism / etc are different than mine. I can only tell you what worked for me.

I just finished a bulk. I was at 2500 calories for 4 months (my maintenance is 2000). I have slight absorption issues so my protein is a little high to make up for it, but again, this is just what worked for me:

Total 2540 calories. It is tough for me to stick to 20% fats so I am not religious about it (but I do try!). If I eat a little too much fat I cut out a little carbs, etc.

I gained 15 lbs over a course of 5 months and I have not gained any fat. But again this is just what works for me.

Best of luck!

I just wanted to point out, that is anatomically impossible. If you started low enough in body fat, it might appear you didn't gain any fat, but you will always gain fat during a bulk. Doesn't matter if you are a guy or girl

• MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    do0307uppci2.jpg

5'4'' 108 --> 5'4'' 118

This happened over the course of 6 months, and not by 'toning', but through heavy lifting. In all honesty during those 6 months my diet wasn't the best, but my training was on point. I did strength training 4x a week with a mix of powerlifting and bodybuilding and cardio 6x a week. Don't be afraid to get in the gym and lift heavy, and also don't be afraid to use the word 'muscled' instead of tone.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I still have yet to figure out how to tone my body like I would a musical instrument...

That's tune brah
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to get in the gym and lift heavy, and also don't be afraid to use the word 'muscled' instead of tone.

THIS ^^. Muscle is not a dirty word. :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    AngelaMee1 wrote: »

Best of luck!
    the bolded part is impossible....
  • ndj1979
    Options

That's tune brah

is it? I thought tone had something to do with musical instruments...
  • arditarose
    Options

That's tune brah

is it? I thought tone had something to do with musical instruments...

Yeah it's just not a verb. You're on to something though.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It is but not the same of tune. It's to do with sound (she has an airy tone, she has a heavy tone) also tone refers to notes (tones, semi tones, etc this is simplified but this is not my music theory pal ;) )
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It is but not the same of tune. It's to do with sound (she has an airy tone, she has a heavy tone) also tone refers to notes (tones, semi tones, etc this is simplified but this is not my music theory pal ;) )

so can I do that to my body?
  • arditarose
    Options

Tune your body? Probably but it's just hippie science.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Tune your body? Probably but it's just hippie science.

no, tone, I want to TONE...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Um well singing and instruments use miscellaneous body parts and your posture, body structure, effect your tone so I guess lol