• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Cut me off a slice please!

Will do :wink:
  • whatfatjeans
    whatfatjeans Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love watermelon! I was told to not eat it too often because of all the sugar in it. But I do buy a mini watermelon once a week and eat it throughout the week. It's the perfect snack!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Ordinary watermelon is completely neutral to me - neither love nor hate it - I dislike the pits and the taste is so-so. I eat it when I'm offered, choose it for variety if it's offered buffet style, but I never buy it. I love other melons - cantaloupe, canary, galia, piel de sapo. But I ADORE yellow watermelon! Whenever I find it, it gets priority over everything else. Too bad I hadn't seen it for six years - until last month! Wow - yellow watermelon for breakfast is such a luxury!
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Love watermelon! Shame its GI is quite high..
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    So here is a question... how do you all select that perfect watermelon?

Since it's usually just me eating it, I buy the already cut up watermelon, the redder the better. Sometimes I buy the half watermelon if it's on sale, again the redder the better.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

Great question, I would like to know this too.

Love watermelon, and all melons.
    I could live off melons and berries in the summer! So refreshing, low calories and satisfies the craving for something sweet.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options

My grandfather used to grow watermelons on his farm. He told me to check and make sure it has a flat, yellow to yellow-brown spot on the bottom, that means it was left to ripen in the sun. Also, a ripe watermelon will feel heavier than a lesser ripe watermelon of the same size because the riper watermelon is has more juice. But the main thing is the yellow spot. Hope this helps.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    acbraswell wrote: »

My grandfather used to grow watermelons on his farm. He told me to check and make sure it has a flat, yellow to yellow-brown spot on the bottom, that means it was left to ripen in the sun. Also, a ripe watermelon will feel heavier than a lesser ripe watermelon of the same size because the riper watermelon is has more juice. But the main thing is the yellow spot. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip! DD ordered watermelon as part of the menu for Father's Day. I am off to shop and will look for the yellow spot. Good to know!