Would you allow phones during a dinner date?

Options
Behxo
Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
Whether it's a first date or a long term relationship

Me personally, I find it to be rude to be checking Facebook when you're trying have conversation and be with someone when the other person is more focused on connecting with anyone besides you.

Not something that I'm actually dealing with myself, more or less interested in hearing others opinions.

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Nope. Fortunately, hubs and I are old, so we could care less about facebook or twittering etc...if the phone rings, its usually attached to my desk, and work-related. I have sat thru a dinner with someone on their cell the whole time, that was the last time I went out with her, friend or not.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Would I ALLOW a phone? How am I to stop it, save for ending the relationship in the future. Slap the phone from the other person's hand?

Checking FaceBook during a date, rude, unless looking something up that arose from our conversation (a friend common between us, perhaps). Logging in the meal on MFP? Not so rude?

My conversations are usually so entrancing that the other party has no opportunity to even consider FaceBook as an alternative ;-)
  • tayter_tot7
    tayter_tot7 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't think its rude to check. For instance if a person calls my dates phone or sends a text its quite odd for that person (or me) to shrug it off. Seems like they're (or I am) hiding something if they dont check. Also I wouldn't just ignore my phone because I'm on a date life goes on. It could be someone that needed something (confirmation or something, money, etc).
    Its get to the point of rude when you never put the phone down or acknowledge the person in front of you.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    No. Typically when my wife and I get to actually go out on a Dinner Date while our daughter is at a babysitters we leave my phone in the car, and leave her phone in her purse, on silent with only the babysitters number on priority.
  • LiaMatilda
    LiaMatilda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No, I absolutely hate it. If it's a dinner date it's about spending time together.
    I'm bitching at my boyfriend if he's looking at fb on his phone even when we're just hanging out (we're long distance though) cause I think it's rude if you're trying to spend time together with someone. Now getting a call from family? I won't protest
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    When I was dating I had 2 different guys pull out their phones to text during dinner on first dates. I asked them to stop. Both were shocked that I said something but they put their phones away. One was pretty good about it for the short time we dated but the other guy was always texting talking etc. he was gone quick. Now my husband and I don't text during meals and aren't on social media so it works out perfectly.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    LiaMatilda wrote: »
    No, I absolutely hate it. If it's a dinner date it's about spending time together.
    I'm bitching at my boyfriend if he's looking at fb on his phone even when we're just hanging out (we're long distance though) cause I think it's rude if you're trying to spend time together with someone. Now getting a call from family? I won't protest

Yup, exactly
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hell no. If somebody is on their phone during a date I would not date them again. Or even if it's friends or family I have a go at them. I think it's rude. Nobody can seem to put their phones down for long anymore
  • 285to170
    285to170 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    On a date date absolutely not. But if we're just chilling I see no problem with it. But then again I scroll through my messages at the dinner table so I might not be the ideal person to answer this lol.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If it's like an actual date, then you better put that bloody thing away. When someone else check's their phone they are pretty much saying they'd rather be with whoever is on the phone then with you.

If it's just, hanging out with pizza and watching a movie or playing games, then a few checks is fine. But not so constantly on the phone that the movie gets paused or the game gets delayed.
  • JUiCY_KiSS
    JUiCY_KiSS Posts: 8,512 Member
    Options
    If dating or married and just hanging around then a few checks is fine. If it's the first date or first few dates then the phone should be put away. If it's important then he will hear his phone ring or feel it buzz. I went on a first date and the guy was texting the whole time,I left when he went to the bathroom and blocked his number never to speak to him again. I'm very old fashioned so I expect respect,attention and for him to be a gentleman.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    No because I'm gonna check his *kitten* in wherever we are on fb that way all his side pieces know what's up! Let them know baby daddy is with ME at the Olive Garden and then they know not to expect no huggies that week! Then it's on to Instagram where I post a pic of my cuisine and let hashtag and emojis do all the explaining. Last but not least checking in on MFP to log my meal and let my friends know I'm on a date with the same guy I was complaining about last week.
    So the phone is completely necessary <3
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i think it's probably a great idea to tell your date what they are allowed and not allowed to do.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    No because I'm gonna check his *kitten* in wherever we are on fb that way all his side pieces know what's up! Let them know baby daddy is with ME at the Olive Garden and then they know not to expect no huggies that week! Then it's on to Instagram where I post a pic of my cuisine and let hashtag and emojis do all the explaining. Last but not least checking in on MFP to log my meal and let my friends know I'm on a date with the same guy I was complaining about last week.
    So the phone is completely necessary <3

he can just set it so it goes to him first for approval when someone tags him in somewhere.
    plus if he's a guy he's not on the gram anyhow.

I met him on the gram!