Ruined my breakfast

Options
13»

Replies

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I've never had protein powder. Lately, I've been thinking it might be a good idea since I'm a little low on protein and pregnant...But then I started reading ingredients in these powders and they didn't sound good for a baby. I can't get anything with soy either since I'm allergic. Anyone got a good protein powder with no artificial sweeteners and like 2 ingredients? My doctor said I can use them but to read the ingredients and make sure they don't have a bunch of ingredients.

Yes. Jarrow Unflavored Whey is the only one I like, the only one we use.

Ingredients
    100% Ultrafiltered Whey Protein from milk and lecithin (from soy).

There ya go. No sweeteners, no flavorers, nothing. It tastes fine, much better to me than the flavored stuff.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    putting protein powder into hot foods or drinks is usually gross. I consume protein shakes cold, over ice, as a protein supplement right before going to the gym.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion, I've never tasted these powders. Sometimes I use milk or whey (from Greek yoghurt making) in bread making instead of water to up the protein (also makes the bread keep better) and have added skimmed milk powder in East Asian style bread recipes, which only does good things for the texture and flavour.

I wonder if anyone's tried adding protein powders to bread recipes? An unflavoured whey protein should work well and would benefit the bread overall, I would have thought. It's also complementary to the protein in the wheat, which is a bonus.

I don't know about flavoured powders, but I have added Horlick's before (chocolate malt powder) when i ran out of milk powder! It was pretty good. Sweet, but worked because I was using half wholemeal flour, which benefits from a touch of sweetness.

Putting whey in bread (the whey from making yogurt) does more than whey powder will, it's acidic like buttermilk, and adds flavor and softness. Whey powder will add nutrition. Whey from making cheese is awful, sadly.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    One time I won a sample of Vega sport vanilla. I love whey protein powder mixed with water so I decided to use just water with the Vega. I know some people love it but omg I regretted drinking that

Yeah, I tried the Vega too, and couldn't stomach it.