Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

FDA approves stomach pump

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    It is but alone it did nothing for me. It's good but the habits are so ingrained that it has to be coupled with behavior modification especially as I am assuming you have to be very severe to get one. So counselling should be coupled with experiences of eating normally in stressful situations and being successful with it.

I don't think being able to do undesirable behaviour with no negative consequences (in fact it will have positive consequences as they will lose weight eating whatever they want) is a can of worms doctors should permit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    It is but alone it did nothing for me. It's good but the habits are so ingrained that it has to be coupled with behavior modification especially as I am assuming you have to be very severe to get one. So counselling should be coupled with experiences of eating normally in stressful situations and being successful with it.

I don't think being able to do undesirable behaviour with no negative consequences (in fact it will have positive consequences as they will lose weight eating whatever they want) is a can of worms doctors should permit.

The positive consequences might be life saving for this group.
  • singingflutelady
    Life saving in the short term but what happens when they get it removed and haven't learnt proper portion control?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Life saving in the short term but what happens when they get it removed and haven't learnt proper portion control?

IF they didn't learn proper portion control, then they'll probably regain the weight just like almost everyone else that loses weight.

But hopefully they will learn.
  • singingflutelady
    That's the hope but being able to purge everything you eat doesn't promote learning proper habits imho
  • Need2Exerc1se
    That's the hope but being able to purge everything you eat doesn't promote learning proper habits imho

I would imagine it will work for some and not for others. Like every other weight loss method.

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    sure, counseling is valid, the problem here is that (according to the other thread) this is used in cases where counseling alone has failed, so 'POOF', now you get this pump and still get counseling and magically - w/o having to actually listen to/implement the counseling - you lose weight (because you purge 30% of what you are eating anyway).

so my biggest issue with this and the whole idea is what happens at the end of 6 months or a year or maybe even longer (sorry I don't know the time frames for how long the pump is to be used) and you still haven't implemented the good eating habits?!?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    OK that's gross. Medically assisted bulimia, not sure how that is beneficial. Seems like chewing food and then spitting it out would make more sense, and be easier on your body.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    I swear I saw this on "Tim and Eric, Great Job" several years back.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    it really grosses me out.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm sad about how much money would be wasted. First on getting the surgery, and then on the food you're just going to purge after.

Plus.. I think that people might eat MORE when they have it, thinking they can just purge later. But you can only expel 30%.

The counseling is a good idea though. Maybe it could work in tandem.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    o man, that is so gross. And the risk of infection?? Helllllll no. I'll just lose weight the old fashioned way.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm bothered and upset by this, but I am not sure my reaction is justifiable. I think it's based on the moralistic idea that actions must have consequences, which arguably is not the best way to approach a public health crisis. I know I'm thinking it's an undeserving/easy way out way to lose weight, which is contrary to my usual argument that weight loss should be as easy as possible.

This is a very honest post. Thanks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    o man, that is so gross. And the risk of infection?? Helllllll no. I'll just lose weight the old fashioned way.

Risk of infection in a g-tube is very low. Even children that live with them very seldom have problems.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I have to admit, I don't feel like this is going to be particularly effective to make a long-term change.

But, its less invasive and less dangerous than the sleeve, etc. Perhaps someone who is really committed to losing will find a benefit in being able to eat a moderate amount of food, but lose as though they are on a VLCD? Perhaps it could improve compliance for the dieter to be able to eat normal amounts of food and not feel sick like they would if they did conventional WLS?

I don't know.

I'm willing to take a wait and see approach, though, since the danger to the patients is very low.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

So what's the alternative? Not life saving in the short term and then they don't need to bother with learning portion control because they're dead? I'm sure you don't think that's better.
  • singingflutelady
    Or better yet what about hospitalization and a closely followed diet plan? Sure people gain weight afterwards but it is better than developing a new eating disorder.
  • singingflutelady
    The same way they treat other eating disorders. Hospitalization with counselling and group settings and meal plan developed with patient and dietician and closely watched to cut out as much cheating as possible?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Or better yet what about hospitalization and a closely followed diet plan? Sure people gain weight afterwards but it is better than developing a new eating disorder.

That would be significantly more expensive. Prohibitively so for most.