Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

FDA approves stomach pump

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just don't see how it will help anyone except during the months it is in place. It can be life saving for a bit but shouldn't we be concerned with long term success? I guess the problem is so new they haven't figured it out yet. Back in the day they used to put lots of anorexics on feeding tubes to gain weight quickly but they realized that most will just lose it quickly after it is stopped because it didn't teach them anything. Now they only use them short term and if you were so sick you will die tomorrow if you didn't have one.

So yeah implant it in near death morbidly obese but know it is only a quick fix and the likelihood that they'll become as big if not bigger or develop bulimia (which can very well be deadly) is high. Once that happens I guess it's back to doctor approved purging.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that the majority of patients using this device will be doing so due to imminent mortality.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I just don't see how it will help anyone except during the months it is in place. It can be life saving for a bit but shouldn't we be concerned with long term success? I guess the problem is so new they haven't figured it out yet. Back in the day they used to put lots of anorexics on feeding tubes to gain weight quickly but they realized that most will just lose it quickly after it is stopped because it didn't teach them anything. Now they only use them short term and if you were so sick you will die tomorrow if you didn't have one.

So yeah implant it in near death morbidly obese but know it is only a quick fix and the likelihood that they'll become as big if not bigger or develop bulimia (which can very well be deadly) is high. Once that happens I guess it's back to doctor approved purging.

We can't know the likelihood of long term failure or success at this point in time. We can only guess based on the failure rate of other methods, which is why I don't see sense in insisting that other methods are better. All known methods of weight loss have a very low rate of long term success. All of them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I highly doubt that the majority of patients using this device will be doing so due to imminent mortality.

I agree.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    But I just don't see how allowing someone to not change their eating habits or actually increasing their calorie intake to lose weight from temporary purging can help someone continue to lose and/or keep the weight off in the long run.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Or better yet what about hospitalization and a closely followed diet plan? Sure people gain weight afterwards but it is better than developing a new eating disorder.

Hospitalization? For how long? Who's going to pay for it? I was in the hospital for about 24 hours after being hit by a car, it cost $19,000. Our health care system is overburdened already and wildly expensive treatments won't help when there are cheaper effective ones available. I think we agree we shouldn't let people die unnecessarily, and here's a way to save some of them. We shouldn't use it because it makes people uncomfortable?

I find it weird that the people who are most uncomfortable with this seem to be people who've never had the problem this treatment was meant to address.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    But I just don't see how allowing someone to not change their eating habits or actually increasing their calorie intake to lose weight from temporary purging can help someone continue to lose and/or keep the weight off in the long run.

I'm sure the hope is that they will change.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

The FDA approved this to be used along with counseling. So it's not simply allowing people to not change their eating habits.

And I don't think the goal of the stomach pump is teach people new behaviors in the long run. It's to help people live into the long run. It's sort of like complaining that band aids don't prevent cuts in the first place.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    @NorthCascades I have been through eating disorder treatment many times both hospitalization and counselling and know that a treatment that enables eating disorder behaviours is not a good idea.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    @NorthCascades I have been through eating disorder treatment many times both hospitalization and counselling and know that a treatment that enables eating disorder behaviours is not a good idea.

It's just possible that some will benefit from things you did not.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Except that they're not approved for the device until those things have been tried and weren't effective.
    If counseling didn't work before the device, why would it work during?
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Except that they're not approved for the device until those things have been tried and weren't effective.

Maybe because they don't want to live the rest of their lives pumping their dinner out of their stomach.

Or maybe it will have no impact on their mindset at all. I don't know. I haven't walked that walk.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Where did you see that counseling had to be tried before this could be used?
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

"The AspireAssist device should not be used on patients with eating disorders, and it is not intended to be used for short durations in those who are moderately overweight. It is intended to assist in weight loss in patients aged 22 and older who are obese, with a body mass index of 35 to 55, and who have failed to achieve and maintain weight loss through non-surgical weight-loss therapy."

http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm506625.htm
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Off label use? FDA approval just means you're allowed to ship it across state lines.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    @NorthCascades I have been through eating disorder treatment many times ...

I might be confusing you with somebody else when I say this, if so I apologize - fast moving thread. But I think you said you were either anorexic or bulimic, is that right?

This treatment is only going to be available to people with a BMI of 35+. I don't know how tall you are, but you probably do. Go find a BMI calculator and see how much you'd have to weigh to achieve that.

We're talking about morbidly obese people. We're debating whether a 450 pound guy should be denied a life saving treatment for the worry that it'll turn him into an 80 pound bulimic.

I can see how people with a background of under-eating would be a little bit squeamish about a device like this. But this is to help overweight people, not underweight ones. These are not people who are naturally at risk of blowing away in the wind. These are people who would turn to The Biggest Loser otherwise. Or die from heart disease.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    35 isn't necessarily huge as in 450 or my 600 lb life or being on the verge of death, etc. For me (5'3) it's about 195, and I've been fatter than that. I was horribly fat, yes, no question, and looked awful (IMO), but I (and many others of that BMI) did not have immediate health issues and I don't believe that some stomach pumping device would have been helpful. The question is whether its availability would have more negative effects than positive, and I do not know. I do worry given how many people look for a easy solution that it might be seen as such despite how unappealing it sounds to many of us.

But like I said above, I don't have a firm view on this yet. I do find it hard to understand just HOW it could be helpful in a way the other things are not. (Yes, I know there's been some research, which I will look into more, even though I can't imagine ever choosing this approach vs. normal eat less strategies (and yes, continue to feel a significant degree of judgment about anyone doing so that I am struggling with). I believe it's not supposed to be for people with bingeing issues, but that seems like the only context in which it would even make much of a difference (reducing the effect of a binge or session of overeating).
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My first reaction to this is that it's disgusting and some of the quotes I've seen from the company that developed it make them seem, well, shady, for a lack of a better word.

But, people thought the same thing about weight loss surgery at first and now WLS is not such a shocking idea. It doesn't work in the long-term for everyone, but it works for some.

I think this conversation and the other one are interesting, but there's also a lot of hand-wringing going on.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

"The AspireAssist device should not be used on patients with eating disorders, and it is not intended to be used for short durations in those who are moderately overweight. It is intended to assist in weight loss in patients aged 22 and older who are obese, with a body mass index of 35 to 55, and who have failed to achieve and maintain weight loss through non-surgical weight-loss therapy."

http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm506625.htm

Oh, thanks! I couldn't remember seeing that and searched for "counsel".
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Takes 10 minutes draining process?
    In the bathroom toilet?
    Golden Corrall and other all you can eat places will have special stalls in the future.
    Next to the transgender toilet.
    Soundproof so you can't hear the goop falling in the toilet.

Everyone will have these.
    Imagine how awesome to spend a day at an all you can eat place.
    You can eat everything 10 times over.
    I would use all the uses in just a couple of weeks.
    Couples could get these together. Talk about date night.