Options
124»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice!
    Here's my routine:
    1) quick check of flyers for sale items on foods I like (fruits,veggies, lean meats) on Thursday.
    2) I decide what meals I am going to make during the week on Friday.
    3) Saturday, I run to my 2 fave markets with food list on phone. When I get home, I cook a batch or 2 of meals, logging them in MFP recipes. Then I portion out my meals into Tupperware.
    4) on Sunday, I cook a roast or chicken breasts for sandwich meat and to put into my salads.

I love being able to get up at 5 to head for gym and I can just grab the containers out of fridge.

I eat pretty much the same breakfast, lunch, and bedtime snack, rotating between a few options, so the only meal I need to think about is dinner.

I look at the flyers and get inspiration for meals based on what's on sale. I look at meat first.

I have a dry erase board on the frig that I use to list what foods I'm low on or what I need, and I transfer this to the list I take to the supermarket.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's funny--I've never thought of shopping as something stressful or difficult and I never even notice the items I am not planning to buy. I kind of hate shopping, so with everything (this is really helpful for Christmas shopping!) I tend to go in with a plan and buy only what I want and not wander through the aisles. (I also shop frequently and use a basket, not a cart, as I have to carry everything home on foot.) I pop in, check out if there's anything I want to supplement my fruits and veg with, grab whatever it is I came in for (sometimes a list of things) and get out of there as fast as possible. Some of the stuff I want is on the perimeter (the fruits and veg aren't, in their own section instead in my mainstream grocery), some is not, almost every time. Wandering around either wouldn't necessarily help me out and, of course, writing off one whole section of the grocery store as off limits would not be useful. I find those "tips" about how to shop weird and entirely unhelpful.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I never impulse buy at a grocery store and I don't even go into most of the aisles

You are way too rational and functional for this community :D
    (But also an inspiration and role model for me ;) )
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    But, but, where are are the canned beans (garbanzo, black eye peas, kidney, butter beans), the canned/frozen fruits and vegetables (I really question how "fresh" the produce is in the winter), the pasta, the condiments (salsa, soy sauce, szechuan), the canned tuna/salmon/sardines, rice, flour, tea, cereal, frozen fish, beef and chicken broth, herbs and spices, the CHOCOLATE, and so on?

A menu of only dairy, fruits/veg, and meat (the perimeter of my grocery stores) would be pretty boring.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You are way too rational and functional for this community.

Heh, I'm good with shopping. I have other issues, of course!