Went over weekly calorie goal.

Options
So this week I went over my weekly goal by 900 calories. I try to eat no more then 1500 a day but my cravings got the best of me the past couple days. Will this hurt my progress a ton? Also for most of the previous weeks since March I've been under my weekly calorie goal by 1000, sometimes a little less or little more. I know people bank calories for cheat meals once a week so could I use the same reasoning and feel okay that I went over since I'm usually under? I also make sure to log everything I eat and weigh all my food and stay consistent. I've been losing steadily. Going over this week just has me freaked out.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you view as hurting your progress "a ton." To gain a pound of fat, you need to eat about 3500 calories above maintenance, so an extra 900 calories = a smidge over a quarter pound of fat, which in the U.S. is about 1999.75 pounds shy of a ton.

If your weekly goal is to lose a pound a week, in theory you should only lose about three-quarters of pound, bearing in mind the usual caveats, e.g., weight loss isn't linear, not all weight changes are related to fat, etc.

Nothing you can do about it now. Life happens. Etc. No need to freak out.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,024 Member
    Options
    tmarple93 wrote: »
    So this week I went over my weekly goal by 900 calories. I try to eat no more then 1500 a day but my cravings got the best of me the past couple days. Will this hurt my progress a ton? Also for most of the previous weeks since March I've been under my weekly calorie goal by 1000, sometimes a little less or little more. I know people bank calories for cheat meals once a week so could I use the same reasoning and feel okay that I went over since I'm usually under? I also make sure to log everything I eat and weigh all my food and stay consistent. I've been losing steadily. Going over this week just has me freaked out.

It's Thursday ... still 2 days till the end of the week. Get some extra exercise in.

• joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    remember its a marathon not a sprint... sometimes our bodies need a little extra... eventually it will balance out... this is a lifestyle not a diet and we all slip up sometimes!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You went over your set calories by 1000 or you went over what would be your maintenance calories by 1000? there is a difference. The first would mean no gain, but even if it was 1000 above maintenance it isn't even 1/4lb worth of a gain.