Anyone else afraid to get rid of their fat clothes?

Options

Replies

• devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you have storage space (an attic, a closet shelf, a basement, a garage) I would suggest holding on to those "too large" clothes that are your favorites. While we would all like to think our willpower is good and that we will stay at our new "thinner" weight, statistics show that most of us will go back up again. Unless you have enough money to spend on both your new "thin clothes" wardrobe and a possible new "large clothes" wardrobe, save some. It works the other way, too. I saved some favorites from when I was thin, and now I fit back into them. Bottom line -- if you can afford to buy new clothes as you lose and gain, get rid of them, but if money is tight, save them.
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey almost 11 months ago it was to lose weight. For the first 6 months I was afraid to get rid of the "fat" clothes or buy new workout clothes or new and smaller anything for fear that I would quit, gain the weight back, and have spent a bunch of money on smaller stuff. I wouldn't even buy a new pair of running shoes until I had convinced myself that I was sticking to it. (I had started and quit too many times to even trust myself.) Five months ago something inside my brain switched. (I blame all the exercise.:wink: ) Now it's no longer about being skinny, it's about being healthy. I'm not afraid to buy smaller things now because I'm not afraid that I'll "grow out" of them anymore. Now that I'm so much healthier and happier, I don't see myself needing the "fat" clothes ever again. I'm more "worried" that my current clothes will become my fat clothes and I'll have to buy even smaller ones later! (What a terrible problem THAT will be! :laugh: ) Now I LOVE working out and eating healthier and I see a chocolate chip cookie as a "treat" instead of a "cheat". Cheating is for dieters and this is not a diet for me anymore. I can't see myself going back. It did take longer than I wanted to reach this new mentality, but it was worth waiting for. Good luck on your journey!!

P.S. I :heart: Zumba!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I used to joke and show my friends my "Fat and Skinny closet". The FAT closet was my band-aid in case I fell off the bandwagon.

When I finally had enough, a yard sale was held and sold most of it. My best friend scooped up the rest.

With 30-40 pounds more to lose, I shop carefully and only get what I need. Goodwill is my place of choice at this time.

Now that I hold myself fully accountable for my weight; clothes, etc. there is no need to house fat clothes.
  • CrimsonNBlues
    CrimsonNBlues Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I am utterly terrified to get rid of my fat clothes. I have a history with major yo-yoing (100+ lbs each time) and every time I got rid of my fat clothes then had to buy more when everything got too tight. This time though, I am not dieting but making a serious lifestyle change that I am setting up to continue for the rest of my life. I don't want to lose weight again, just to gain it back in a couple years. So I'm going slow and tailoring bigger clothes to my new size rather than just buying new ones. I don't know if I will ever overcome the fear of getting fat again, but by focusing on persistent healthy habits, rather than on a goal weight, I am hoping I can maintain.

Least that's what I keep telling myself. Nice to know others are scared as well.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly donating anything that's still in usable condition, or turning t-shirts into rags if they're not usable. I do have a handful of t-shirts that I plan to trim down (band t-shirts, other one-of-a-kind t-shirts). I've also opted to have some dress clothes tailored down in stages.

However, anything that's cheaper to replace at Old Navy or something, is getting replaced.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I do think it is wise to not buy a lot of new clothes for your current weight if you still have more to lose. However, fat clothes that can't be worn anymore go to Good Will. Cut the cord and look ahead. Not going back to fat.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I am with you and very nervous about getting rid of what I have out-shrunk. It'll be MOST of my work-acceptable businessy stuff, almost all of my pants, and a few evening gowns that I'm hesitant to even pull out to look at. And to be honest, if I start tossing out the tops that are too big, about a third of my closet will be empty.

I am in total denial that most of it doesn't fit, and like feeling like I have options when I go looking for an outfit. *serious nod*
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    In the past I kept them, and I ended up gaining the weight back and more...I'm no longer afraid to get rid of them. It was actually kind of liberating. And while over the last couple months, I've let 9 lbs creep back on and my skinny clothes that I never got rid of started to get a little tighter, I started kicking my own *kitten* back into shape. I've decided there is NO going back to where/how I was. NO GOING BACK. Though I still have a ways to go, so I am refusing to buy new clothes yet. Right now I'm good with the clothes I had kept (what's funny is that some of them are fitting me and when I used to wear them I was actually a bit smaller than I am now...) so I know when I reach my goal I'm going to need close to a new wardrobe. That will be my reward to myself when I get there. In the meantime, if I need something new, I shop at thrift stores. The other option you could do is look into getting some of the clothes altered. That may be cheaper than new clothes.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I got rid of every last piece of "fat" clothing I had. I have a friend who's selling them on ebay. It's a nice little surprise to see my paypal balance go up every week. It's like a little mini reward for having lost that weight. I'm still losing weight. As I go down in size, I'll keep giving her the clothes to sell.

In the meantime, if I need something, I'll check the smaller clothes that I did keep, or I raid my husband's shorts/t-shirts drawer since he was smaller than me until now. Or, I go to the thrift shops.

As far as keeping something for comparison pictures later, I can always go to a store and pose with one of the larger sizes I used to wear. No need to have it take up room in my "new" wardrobe.
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    I have always kept my clothes and I think it is a curse. I have at one time had clothing that would fit a size 6 to a six 18. I would go shopping in my own three closets. I always knew I had somehting to wear. I have been slowing taking them out of the closet, and trying to give them away, and? My weight has been creeping back up, and it is motivating to put somehting on, and when it is too tight, then I either have to do something about it, or I go buy a bigger pair. It is a vicious circle. Getting rid of clothes has an emotional pull on me too. I have some clothes that I have wonderful memories associated with. It is hard, but I truely think getting them out of the house is the way to go. That way, you either do something, or it will cost you more time and money! Donate
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am done with fat clothes, no need to keep them. I donate regularly to Goodwill as my weight goes down. I still have some old smaller clothes and I supplement those as needed. Even my shoe size got smaller!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them NOW! I believe....if you keep them around, you're more likely to fit into them again. We don't need more excuses to gain weight. Donate them to charity. I've been doing this so often lately. lol And my rule of thumb = if my new, smaller-sized clothing starts to feel tight, work it!!! Do not, EVER, buy bigger clothes again!
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've had to buy new clothes a few times now, and I've ditched the old ones (donated to Goodwill), and I'm not looking back.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them... don't use them as a crutch. I got rid of mine and I am not looking back.
  • mamatina38
    Options
    I was at first as I have been a yo-yo dieter, but now I feel like I am changing my whole lifestyle instead of being on a diet.

So, I pretty much emptied my closet, donated all my winter stuff and (not including a comparison pair of jeans) anything that is too big for me. I am buying a new piece here and there as a reward and motivation. I have a lot of stuff that is too small that I am excited to fit back into. I think looking nice and feeling good even while you are transitioning help keep you motivated.

It felt great to get rid of those clothes and this time I am determined it will be forever. One day i will burn those comparison jeans!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nope. cuz when i drop them off at the thrift shop, i can pop some tags.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    they are in a box lableled "maternity" lol!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I donate all my "fat clothes" to Goodwill because I know what it is like to be a fat kid and need clothes -- they are so expensive!! I figure, rather than going to Walmart, which is the cheapest around here, and paying $2 extra for the bigger sizes, now someone can go to Goodwill and get my old big clothes for next to nothing! It makes me feel good about it. I also buy Goodwill because I refuse to buy expensive clothes until I am at my goal weight. Thankfully, I was just able to get into all my size 12s I wore before I had my baby and couldn't wear until he turned one (apparently it was just the workout harder and eat better game..... not the "My body has just changed and I will never be able to get back into those again" game.)

I understand the attachment to our fat clothes though..... When I was 400 pounds and found clothes that were nice and I felt good in them it was a rarity...... Even at 200 pounds it was very hard to give up those Fat clothes <3
  • stephenidea
    Options
    I dropped down from a UK 36 Waist to a UK 29 Waist and then back up to a 31 Waist... Got so excited when I dropped the mass weight I went out on a shopping spree, can't wear any of the clothes I bought anymore :( but F*** it I feel great and at the end of the day that's all that matters!...

Having said that, Im just holding out for Xmas then at least I may get some clothes that will fit a while! lol
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Heck NO
    I w anthem gone
    I lost 4 inches off waist
    and when I get new clothes im donating all of them to the baby pantry or the volunteers of america