Why is my BMI so high?

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never payed attention to the BMI number, it means nothing to me. I go by scale weight, the mirror and how my clothes fit.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    shellen007 wrote: »
    st476 wrote: »
    I'm sure I sound like I'm saying it in a "look at me" type of way

Yes
    If I was, maybe I would be posting my pictures in the success stories section. Or not trying to lose weight.

• st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never payed attention to the BMI number, it means nothing to me. I go by scale weight, the mirror and how my clothes fit.
    I don't really let it bother me but I decided to calculate my BMI just out of curiosity, I expected to be in the normal range so I was just confused! :smile:
  • Jpat0
    Jpat0 Posts: 201 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    e7f5w5orox6m.png
    Not really sure why everyone is telling me that I just have a distorted view of myself. I think anyone on here would agree that I don't look overweight. I'm sure I sound like I'm saying it in a "look at me" type of way but I'm not. I'm just looking for reasons why my BMI seems high for someone my size other than that "we are used to seeing bigger people so it seems like a normal weight". I don't see how I'm considered big.

You look perfect to me, and not at all overweight!!

Sorry, just ignore this. I commented on your comment accidentally.
  • Jpat0
    Options
    e7f5w5orox6m.png
    Not really sure why everyone is telling me that I just have a distorted view of myself. I think anyone on here would agree that I don't look overweight. I'm sure I sound like I'm saying it in a "look at me" type of way but I'm not. I'm just looking for reasons why my BMI seems high for someone my size other than that "we are used to seeing bigger people so it seems like a normal weight". I don't see how I'm considered big.

That's you at 150lbs? You look skinnier than your profile picture in this one. If that's 150lbs for you, I wouldn't really worry.
  • Jpat0
    Options
    Jpat0 wrote: »
    Most people have forgotten what we're suppose to look like. In many Asian countries, that BMI would be considered obese and would be seen as obese in those countries. It's different standards for different types of bodies. You may not think you look overweight but by the look of your thighs it looks that way for me. American ideal beauty is of a larger woman or curvier woman, so that's why you may not see it.

Another point can be that people also carry weight differently. For example, your fat can go to your butt & breasts more than an average person and you may like that look. Compare that to someone of your height at 150lbs with their fat going to their stomach. In terms of health, both have different implications.

However, at 25.7, I don't think you needed to worry too much. If you're happy with how your body looks at a reasonably healthy weight, I don't think it's a big deal.

That's because Asians are shorter and have smaller frames than caucasians and other races.

Yup, I'm well aware. Their medical history is different to ours. Other than health, their preferred body image is also a lot smaller to ours. I've met some Korean women who would be called a good size in the west and seen as fat in Korea.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    An overweight BMI is an overweight BMI for the majority of non-body building folk, even if you don't "look it". I think in your case (going off your profile picture because I'm assuming the newest photo in thread is a current weight photo) you carried a lot of weight in areas that are socially acceptable for women to carry extra weight in (boobs, butt, thighs). Because you carried it that way you don't look "heavy" you looked what most people would deem to be sexy!

Meanwhile I am very, very straight shaped and carry extra weight poorly despite being 5'9", I'd look a lot more overweight than you at a 25.7 BMI- but we'd both be medically classified as overweight at that BMI ykwim?

Regardless I wouldn't sweat it, your BMI is normal now and you look great! Congrats on your loss!
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Person A is 5'4" and 150 lbs. They keep most of their weight in their breasts, thighs, and butt. Person B is 5'4" and 150 lbs. They keep most of their weight in their stomach and arms.

Both person A and person B are equally overweight while person A may be more "attractive" in society. Where you hold your weight does not affect BMI and it doesn't mean you aren't overweight if you hold weight well.

However, BMI doesn't tell the whole picture. You're better off finding out your BF%.

Yup! This! I'm 5'4.5. When I was 150 lb, I was definitely Person B! I wore a size 4 jeans but I held all my weight in my gut and my arms!
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Your BMI was high because you entered your height and weight into the calculator and got a BMI of 25.7, which is classified as overweight.

It's really that simple...

However, at 5'4" 137 lbs your new BMI is 23.5, which is within the normal weight category.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I agree, you do not look overweight in that photo.

Which isn't really surprising seeing you have a BMI of 25.7 which is barely overweight anyway.
    BMI is an approximate guide - there isn't any significant difference between, say, 24.9, just inside healthy range, and 25.7, just outside it.

Not getting the issue here.

This does not invalidate BMI at all - you look a pretty healthy weight because you are a pretty healthy weight.
  • JuicerLab
    JuicerLab Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    BMI is based on height and weight. Any BMI between the 25th and 75th percentile is fine. That only indicates that over 50% are lighter than you for their height, it has nothing to do with health.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, no one ever says "bellylicious." :(

Hall! Sing it, sister.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    JuicerLab wrote: »
    BMI is based on height and weight. Any BMI between the 25th and 75th percentile is fine. That only indicates that over 50% are lighter than you for their height, it has nothing to do with health.

BMI is a formula applied to an individual and has nothing to do with percentage of population and it is a "general" indication of your health. ("The BMI is an attempt to quantify the amount of tissue mass (muscle, fat, and bone) in an individual, and then categorize that person as underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese based on that value. However, there is some debate about where on the BMI scale the dividing lines between categories should be placed." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index) I use the term "general" loosely because like many have said a higher BMI does not necessarily mean you are not healthy. It is easier for your doctor to say, "yep, with your height and weight, you are borderline obese" than it is for them to accurately measure and give you a more realistic figure. That said, at my last physical my doctor told me that I was borderline obese. I scoffed at her and said that's impossible, I hike and ski....in reality, I was an overweight hiker/skier in denial. Today, almost 40 pounds lighter I'm looking forward to my next visit. She will be pleased that she doesn't have to tell me I'm borderline obese and finally for the first time in over 20 years at a healthy BMI. It is just a number, but for most of the population a close enough number that we should at least pay attention to it if, and "if" is the big factor, we are not going to use other means to determine our health status.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Its because of the way you carry. But your bmi is high because of your height. Youre 5'4 so at 150 you say it was 25.7 well im 5'7 and at 150 mine would be 23.5 and at 137 yours will probably be around 23.5 while mine would be 21.5.