Excersises for Bad Knees?!?!

Options
Hi guys! I'm trying to amp up my exercises routine and I'm looking for exercises that will help strengthen my knees. My knees are very weak and hurt! I also have lower back pain, so please no exercises that will put too much pressure on my back!

Also, would weights hurt or help??

Thanks babes! ♥

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If both your knees and back are in pain, I'd suggest seeing a doctor, first. Then have him/her refer you to a physiotherapist. Without knowing what, exactly, your pain/injuries are, it would be inappropriate, IMO, to advise you on any particular exercises. Without knowing, we could inadvertently help make it worse for you.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    If both your knees and back are in pain, I'd suggest seeing a doctor, first. Then have him/her refer you to a physiotherapist. Without knowing what, exactly, your pain/injuries are, it would be inappropriate, IMO, to advise you on any particular exercises. Without knowing, we could inadvertently help make it worse for you.

Yep totally y agree. You should definitely see an orthopedist as someone with knee issues
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    If your knees are that bad I would do very low impact exercises such as walking or swimming. If you have an orthopedic doctor, you should discuss other forms of exercises that you can do with him or her first.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

This^^

Although, swimming would not hurt you at all!! Great workout!!
  • Twinky58
    Twinky58 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes like others say, swimming or what I've just started doing and I love, Aqua Fit. It's for 1 hour and is fun and burns calories as well as supporting joints while you exercise!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    This is a list of PT exercises I got from my doctor for knee pain. Helped me tremendously: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CorneliusPhoton/view/exercises-to-help-knees-866738

Don't ignore the planks, they help strengthen your whole core.
  • BreonnaQueen
    BreonnaQueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use to have pretty weak knees. They would crack and pop all the time and would be really painfully after a high impact workout.

I started doing squats on the smith machine. I started off with 10lbs and then moved up casually by 2.5lbs a week. I also walk, jog and swim.

I no longer have painful knees. I can run, do sumo squats, lunges, high jumps etc and my knees no longer bother me. There was a time when I wouldnt of been able to do any of these without knee pain.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I had knee and lower back pain when I was overweight. It stopped when I lost the excess weight.
  • vicksg73
    vicksg73 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a massive advocate of Nordic Walking (with poles). It's social, gentle on joints, gets you outdoors, and is great for people with various injuries.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm trying to amp up my exercises routine and I'm looking for exercises that will help strengthen my knees. My knees are very weak and hurt! I also have lower back pain, so please no exercises that will put too much pressure on my back!

Thanks babes! ♥
    They hurt and are weak because you AREN'T forcing them to work. Any muscle that's unused and unconditioned will hurt if exercised. You're young and there isn't any reason for "bad knees" and a "bad back" if you've not been seriously injured.
    The body is an amazing thing. Adaptability is something that it's good at. Every client that's ever told me that they have bad knees, I put through a regimen of exercise that involves lots of leg work. And guess what? Those bad knees never existed. They just lacked stressing them correctly.
    Learn correct form on how to squat. Start with one set and work your way up. Keep your core tight and back pain shouldn't happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor for peace of mind but agree wholeheartedly with @ninerbuff.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff I totally agree with what you said. I have a question for you, though. I hyperextended my left knee yesterday. How long would you wait to lift after a hyperextension and would you drop weight after this injury? (yes, I have seen my doctor, but she admits that what she doesn't know about weight lifting would fill several books.)
  • salyerssommer
    salyerssommer Posts: 110 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have been to a doctor, this is what he suggested doing. Start with low impact exercises and build my way up. My thigh muscles need strengthening and I need to work on my knees. I am overweight, so yes - I know what is causing the pain, and why, just not sure what exercises would be good. He have me a small sheet, but it only has two exercises on it.
  • salyerssommer
    Options
    vicksg73 wrote: »
    I'm a massive advocate of Nordic Walking (with poles). It's social, gentle on joints, gets you outdoors, and is great for people with various injuries.

What is that exactly?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have been to a doctor, this is what he suggested doing. Start with low impact exercises and build my way up. My thigh muscles need strengthening and I need to work on my knees. I am overweight, so yes - I know what is causing the pain, and why, just not sure what exercises would be good. He have me a small sheet, but it only has two exercises on it.

Did he tell you to do the exercises and come back? By his exam, he may have determined you need to build a bit with what he gave you then progress. If you don't have a return appointment, message the office and ask for recommendation as to what else, if anything, you can do.

Best of luck.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    You could also try a stationary spin bike. I know many people that have bad knees and can do Aqua Fit and spin on a bike.
  • salyerssommer
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Did he tell you to do the exercises and come back? By his exam, he may have determined you need to build a bit with what he gave you then progress. If you don't have a return appointment, message the office and ask for recommendation as to what else, if anything, you can do.

Best of luck.

No, he said to start there and build up as I become more comfortable. I don't have a return appointment, but I will get into contact with then, just for extra suggestions.
  • skennelly1963
    skennelly1963 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    go to your Dr and ask to take the aquatic physical therapy. I did that before my knee replacement to build muscles in both legs and couldn't believe how good I felt after doing a full work out in the pool twice a week. They also gave me a bunch of exercises to do at home too. I did them in the morning when I first got up. Mostly stuff you do laying on the floor or sitting on a chair. Didn't require any special equipment just a regular bath towel. I would recommend it to anyone who needs low impact exercise. Good luck!!! :)
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Thanks babes! ♥
    They hurt and are weak because you AREN'T forcing them to work. Any muscle that's unused and unconditioned will hurt if exercised. You're young and there isn't any reason for "bad knees" and a "bad back" if you've not been seriously injured.
    The body is an amazing thing. Adaptability is something that it's good at. Every client that's ever told me that they have bad knees, I put through a regimen of exercise that involves lots of leg work. And guess what? Those bad knees never existed. They just lacked stressing them correctly.
    Learn correct form on how to squat. Start with one set and work your way up. Keep your core tight and back pain shouldn't happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is not always the case. I'm 37 and have progressive spinal arthritis, and my knees are not the best. Granted, my body took a lot of abuse in the service, but no injuries. You just can't assume since someone is young, that they can't have bad knees, or arthritis, etc.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ninerbuff. What exactly causes you to have both bad knees and a bad back? If you're overweight that could be the reason. Do you spend much of your day sitting? That could both be anterior pelvic tilt and tight hamstrings putting strain on your posterior chain and onto the anterior portion of your lower body. I had both back pain and knee pain until I began lifting. Slowly but surely my posture improved and the pain went away. If it's truly that painful, speak to a physician and find out what can be done.